What's new

Discuss best ways to develop Bangladesh

Which hospital is that? I think Chittagong and Sylhet have very good facilities as well, not as par with Dhaka, still not bad.

But I must admit that organ transplant, orthopedics and surgery needs massive improvement in Bangladesh.

All the doctors my mom seen, for almost a decade put her in wheel chair saying that her spinal chord is getting weared out over the time. But finally a doctor treated her right and asked her to stop taking any medication and live a normal life as her syndromes are genetic and she was born with it. There is no problem with her spinal chord which is just differen and 1 in a million.

Now she is 100% fine.

^^^^^^^^^This.

So you r saying that still there r quality issues though the infra is in place.. Medical treatment is based on expertise, dedication and passion of the doctors towards their profession. In india all pass outs need to serve in villages/rural areas for 2 years, then only they receive the Certifates.. U r lucky that u finally got a good doctor. So more knowledge exchanges will help in bringing the quality.. Appollo is really a good brand, The Reddy family run it very well and they r highly professional and quality oriented.. Some strict regulations must be implemented by the Govt so that the quality issues can be addressed..

The bold part is the main problem right now.

Yes, I know Apollo is a great brand, but great equipment along with a great brand are not enough. Most important is to have doctors who aren't unintentional killers.

As of now, ethical and service standards in much of the medical sector are pretty fail. And they aren't cheap either. Private hospitals definitely need more regulation.

Our doctors are quite good, however, we do not have good medical equipment to diagonise and treat the patients. Futhermore, the better doctors of our country are leaving for developed countries to earn more

I was not aware of the fact that people here going to India for free treatment, I never been there.

Anybody in PDF ever tried for this free treatment in India from Bangladesh???

At the peril of sounding like trying to score point over poor people in need of medical facilities, the point is, the bogeyman of Calcutta Babu has been stretched too far. You can't just reap all the benefits of what Calcutta has done to Bengali ethnicity and badmouth calcuttan at the same breath!

At the peril of sounding like trying to score point over poor people in need of medical facilities, the point is, the bogeyman of Calcutta Babu has been stretched too far. You can't just reap all the benefits of what Calcutta has done to Bengali ethnicity and badmouth calcuttan at the same breath!

But that is what it is all about here with our worthy friends.

Have your cake and eat it too!

That is when they are not going for each other's throat over AL vs BNP.

Oh that's easy for you to say :lol:

An one liner with no substance!

You're original statement was Najrul was ignored while staying in India, I provided you with the knowledge that there was goddamn group created in Calcutta headed by none other than Shyama Prasad Mukherjee, the founder of Jana Sangha, the famous Hinduvta movement which later evolved as BJP. And they did all the could for the betterment of the rebel poet!

Najrul lived only last few years of his life in BD and that too in a vegetative life, he was more of a gift from India to BD which was devoid of any notable personalities thanks to their ummah brothers from West Pakistan!

I was not aware of the fact that people here going to India for free treatment, I never been there.

Anybody in PDF ever tried for this free treatment in India from Bangladesh???

I have known people who go to India for treatment. But certainly not free :lol:

I wonder how Kazi was lapped up by Bangladeshis.

He married a Hindu lady and wrote songs to Hindu Gods and so on!

In 1972, the newly independent nation of Bangladesh obtained permission from the Government of India to bring Nazrul to live in Dhaka and accorded him honorary citizenship.

Which hospital is that? I think Chittagong and Sylhet have very good facilities as well, not as par with Dhaka, still not bad.

But I must admit that organ transplant, orthopedics and surgery needs massive improvement in Bangladesh.

All the doctors my mom seen, for almost a decade put her in wheel chair saying that her spinal chord is getting weared out over the time. But finally a doctor treated her right and asked her to stop taking any medication and live a normal life as her syndromes are genetic and she was born with it. There is no problem with her spinal chord which is just differen and 1 in a million.

Now she is 100% fine.

The hospital i am talking situated in Bogura /Rashsahi area but unfortunately i forgot the name . atn news had telecast a program about it few month back .

Are you for real Abir???

This literature might help you little bit...

Bangladeshi patients flock to India in search of better facilities

Kolkata: Eleven years ago, Mohammad Farid, then 22, came to Kolkata from Bangladesh’s Faridpur district to be treated for complex nephrological and neurological problems. He has since turned into a professional “guide”, assisting patients from Bangladesh in their quest for treatment—a booming business because, as he observes, people cross the border even for diagnostic tests.

“Even for simple pathological tests such as blood sugar and lipid profile, Bangladeshis prefer laboratories in Kolkata,” says Farid. “I help dozens of people come to Kolkata for tests every year. Tests done here are seen as more credible.”

Perhaps the most surprising thing about the Bangladeshis coming to India for treatment is this: Many of them arrive not for complicated procedures but for routine pathological tests. The more affluent medical tourists go to Singapore these days, but that still leaves an estimated 500 Bangladeshis entering India every day, seeking treatment.

Nine out of 10 head for private hospitals in Kolkata, says Syed Masud Mahmood Khundoker, Bangladesh’s deputy high commissioner in the city.

The remainder go to south India, mostly to Christian Medical College in Vellore, Tamil Nadu, where almost all doctors follow Bengali, at least when it comes to the description of symptoms.

Part of the reason for this continuing flood of arrivals is the ease of entering India by road, even for people without the appropriate documents. “I have been coming to India for the last 15 years, and I have never had a passport,” says a patient at a private hospital in Kolkata, who did not disclose his name. He suffers from a neurological disorder and needs regular check-ups. “I bribe the security officers at the border. I have never had a problem. It’s the most convenient way of travelling to Kolkata.”

At these private hospitals, the cost of treatment can be crippling for many Bangladeshis. When 15-year-old Almasuddin Paramanik, from the Rajshahi district of Bangladesh, fell and injured his hips, doctors determined that he needed a hip replacement—a complex surgery even in the developed world.

His father, Tayeb Ali Paramanik, who used to till two-and-a-half bighas of land for a living, sold two bighas to rustle up cash for the surgery. (A bigha is one-third of an acre.) Doctors in Kolkata, where Almasuddin is currently undergoing treatment, have estimated that the surgery will cost Rs1.5 lakh. “It’s a huge amount for us,” says Paramanik. “But it’s a question of life and death for my son.”

The economy engendered by this medical tourism goes beyond the building of new hospitals. Though restricted to a small locality on the south-eastern fringes of Kolkata, Bangladeshi patients have created jobs for hundreds of young people; dozens of money-changers and guest houses have sprouted in the past few years.

“No one’s unemployed in this locality,” says Nilmoni Samanta, who runs a small roadside eatery near the Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences (RTIICS), one of the more recent additions to the area. “If you want to cash in on the opportunity, there are so many things you could do—work as a guide, run an eatery like me, or sell (Dhaka-Kolkata) plane and bus tickets.”

In this locality, anyone who has an extra room in the house rents it out to Bangladeshi patients, says Satyabrata Das, a money-changer who runs a small office opposite RTIICS. “You would earn at least Rs600 a day all year round,” he estimates. “Guest houses are more expensive. They cost at least Rs1,000 a day per room.”

The smarter entrepreneurs ensure Bangladeshis feel at home. They name their guest houses after Bangladeshi towns or celebrities—Dhaka Lodge, for instance, or Bangabandhu Abashik (named after Bangladesh’s first president, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman)— they serve authentic Bangladeshi cuisine, and they even arrange for Bangladeshi cable channels on television.

Until the early 2000s, there were two main private hospitals in Kolkata—Ruby General Hospital and Peerless General Hospital—that served Bangladeshi patients. Over the last 10 years, at least four others have sprung up, and more are in the pipeline, all eyeing the ever-expanding business from people across the border.
Peerless Hospital, for instance, currently gets at least 10,000 Bangladeshi patients per year, according to its spokesperson; a decade ago, that number stood at 30,000. “We have five other competitors now and two more are under construction in Kolkata alone,” he says.

Medica Superspecialty Hospital, just five months old, relies on Bangladeshi patients for 5-10% of its revenues, according to Saumitra Bharadwaj, its medical superintendent. “This is crucial for any new hospital,” he says. “It could almost determine whether a hospital makes money or not.”

Indeed, the revenue from Bangladeshi patients is so crucial that some start-ups, such as the year-old Desun Hospital, are planning to open marketing offices across the border. “We will launch a campaign to spread awareness about our facilities through seminars, video-conferences and contacts at clinics in Bangladesh,” says Pijush Dutta, executive coordinator at Desun.

But as Bangladesh ramps up its own healthcare infrastructure, Bharadwaj thinks Kolkata’s super-specialty hospitals are likely to draw more patients than multi-specialty medical centres. “Going forward, only people in need of critical care would come to Kolkata.”

Unsurprisingly, Indian firms are looking to dip their toes into the expanding pool of Bangladeshi healthcare as well. Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Ltd has already built a super-specialty hospital in Dhaka, and Peerless Hospital is hoping to tie up with a local partner to start clinics in Bangladeshi towns such as Chittagong, Rajshahi and Dhaka.

And with good reason: Almost half the people who receive medical treatment at Peerless’ outpatient department (OPD) in Kolkata are Bangladeshis, according to the hospital’s spokesperson. “Most of them come for check-ups following major surgeries,” he says. “Once we’ve launched our clinics in Bangladesh, people wouldn’t have to come to the Kolkata hospital’s OPD.”

Bangladeshi patients flock to India in search of better facilities - Economy and Politics - livemint.com

I wonder how Kazi was lapped up by Bangladeshis.

He married a Hindu lady and wrote songs to Hindu Gods and so on!

In 1972, the newly independent nation of Bangladesh obtained permission from the Government of India to bring Nazrul to live in Dhaka and accorded him honorary citizenship.

Was he in house arrest so he had to take permssion from Indian gov?

Was he in house arrest so he had to take permssion from Indian gov?

He was in intensive care unit and suffering from Pick's disease. Not in a condition to make decision of his own. Anyway Bangladeshis did care for him(may be more than what we could have done!) at his passing days.

So the thread was, how BD can become developed... Let me summerise..
1. Education (Reforms r taking place, but a long way to go)
2. Health care and nutrition.. (BD is doin good, need to be more professional)
These 2 r over lets proceed whats next.. How we perceive a developed nation, the basics??

Back
Top Bottom