What's new

Desperately seeking speedy internet: Pakistan ranks 172 globally in download speed

Thanks to Zardari & co, which put us so much behind..

Just by next year when 4.5G is going to launch, we will get 3G on GSM network, pathetic. Why even going to 3G, when they can directly go to LTE setup.

Iran throttles Internet speeds, known issue.

LOL!!! looks like Rohani took offense of your post.

3197061029.png

Wateen Telecom, you mean you have not had the displeasure of using their abysmal service ?

Sir I've been using Wateen since 3 years now, never had any issues. I have used almost every internet company's service because I am using internet since 2003 (ptcl dialup :P). Wateen works perfectly fine if you will have full signals coverage, this is its only draw back..

Sir I've been using Wateen since 3 years now, never had any issues. I have used almost every internet company's service because I am using internet since 2003 (ptcl dialup :P). Wateen works perfectly fine if you will have full signals coverage, this is its only draw back..

Sir I used it in Pindi near Officer Colony, no signals, not even 1 bar. But I think I know now why that was the case :P. I do like PTCL Nitro, its a good package and the amazing thing is I can use it in Quetta too :)

Sir I used it in Pindi near Officer Colony, no signals, not even 1 bar. But I think I know now why that was the case :P. I do like PTCL Nitro, its a good package and the amazing thing is I can use it in Quetta too :)

Yes sir, PTCL has its vast network which is its biggest advantage. Even at places where no other company offers the internet, you'll find PTCL working perfectly there.

Wateen on the other hand doesn't have that kind of coverage, there are even a lot of areas in Lahore alone where Wateen has no coverage or weak signals, they are expanding their network but slowly. But wherever you will have full or even half wateen signals, you will love it. At my home and office, I have full wateen signals :P Plus, nothing can come close to customer service of Wateen 24/7 availability free of cost via wateen number. :)

Is 4 MB net on Stub Fiber line or copper line?

Stub Fiber line only give headaches during rain, else it is totally hassle free

I believe its copper line, in Baharia still when i get 3.4mb I tried dailymotion and couple of other video services and online live tv streams yet these sites sort of buffer and stuck. Which leads me to believe that PTCL has congested the streaming lines so we can't watch live steams or uploaded videos with ease other than that plain text-photo based websites or partial dynamic websites are working fine. So yes PTCL has a kera in them.

Last edited:
I believe its cooper line, in Baharia still when i get 3.4mb I tried dailymotion and couple of other video services and online live tv streams yet these sites sort of buffer and stuck. Which leads me to believe that PTCL has congested the streaming lines so we can't watch live steams or uploaded videos with ease other than that plain text-photo based websites or partial dynamic websites are working fine. So yes PTCL has a kera in them.

To gauge the reliability of DSL line, SNR margin and Attenuation values are used.

SN Margin/Noise Margin/SNR (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)

6dB or below is bad and will experience no sync or intermittent sync problems
7dB-10 dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with no sync problems
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

Line Attenuation

20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

These are the states of a 4 MB DSL line on copper

2idj.png

and when 4 mb DSL line upgraded on to Fiber

41068153.jpg

Log in to your router and check SNR and attenuation values. If Copper line is to be blamed, check with the nearest exchange if there is fiber setup in your area. Put a request in exchange, usually it takes 7-10 working days but if lineman is your acquaintance, you could install stub fiber setup within 2 days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom