What's new

Dengue fever CIA’s bio attack on Pak suspected

Lone ranger syndrome - Masood Hasan

The sight of Punjab’s chief minister spraying insecticide on the deadly dengue mosquitoes which have taken over Lahore and other cities, as only well trained commandos can, has left me with mixed feelings.

It is good to see the province’s top man taking to the streets and going to the very heart of the problem, leading by example, as it were. But it is not by a long shot the correct approach and neither is it going to change the situation, now or in the future. What is palpably wrong with this approach is that it sends no message to the hordes of slothful and indifferent bureaucrats and other sundry professionals who neither work nor are ever going to work. Leading from the front may work in societies where some system, some infrastructure exists and some sense of duty prevails. We have nothing like that. If the CM thinks that it will shame and embarrass the officials into much-awaited action, I am afraid he is in for a long wait.

The question is, why does the CM, of all people, have to do this? It is quite possible that his public-image-builders think it is the best thing to do under the fever-laden skies of Lahore particularly. But had the photo-op featured hundreds of fumigators at work and the CM lending a helping hand, it might have been different. As always, our solution to a problem, which is basically one of system failure, is to go the route of the Lone Ranger, and go down guns blazing.

Why has this city, the provincial capital of Pakistan’s most prosperous and populous urban sprawl, been subjected to this deadly virus which has killed hundreds, laid off thousands and brought the civil administration to its knees? A frequent visitor to the Civil Secretariat says that all other work is at a standstill, the babus knee deep in proposals, some outlandish, some plain stupid, on how this latest gift is to be handled. Experts from Sri Lanka are to arrive – or are they already here? What, pray, will they “teach” us which we do not know? The dengue is not a rogue mutant from an evil galaxy light years away which now seeks new colonisation and has chosen Lahore for its attack.

The root cause of dengue is known to all, including me – and I am not from Sri Lanka. The issue is that Lahore is ****** and polluted and ranks amongst the most polluted cities in the world, and that our people are dirty by nature. The areas where the killer mosquitoes reside are known to all – the permanent sites and the ones that spring up every time it rains. But while sanitation is better now than it ever was, a lot remains to be done, and given the attitude that prevails here, people supposed to work to keep the city shipshape simply don’t. When things get out of control all hell breaks loose, but those who should be punished and made examples of get off without so much as a teeny-weeny bite. If people have been fired for neglect of duty, I might have missed the news, but so far I haven’t met anyone who has heard of such a thing.

Lahore should not be the focus of all the things that happen. But what, for instance, prevents this city’s planners from eliminating the two rivers of black sewage that run right across the city’s most populated areas and the various drains, like the famous one in Shadman where even passing it in a car with windows rolled up, is an obnoxious experience?

Last evening I saw, right next to it, the faithful lined up in the area mosque – where most sermons are directed to stir up hate or spread mischief – all washed up bowing to the Almighty. I doubt that the mosque’s frequent visitors have ever so much as staged a walk to pressure the authorities. Gulberg V, where the very rich live, has this awful drain but it flourishes year after year. I doubt water lilies are sprouting there and not mosquitoes. The Samnabad river is unbelievably ****** and it has a shade of black that at least I have seen nowhere. Why can’t we do away with it? Can we ask the Sri Lankans who seem to be the new flavour of the month?

When you think of people without power, and therefore water, without law and order, without a hope in hell of getting a job and without even the semblance of prices ever going down or things getting slightly better, the dengue onslaught is just the last straw that’s broken this fractured donkey’s back again. They are cutting deals – the shameless along with the other shameless in Islamabad – our pride and joy, cricketers. A Pakistan captain, no less, is in a criminal court in England.

But Mr Gilani’s government, finally having coughed up a few billion to pay those caught in the vicious circular debt and restoring some power to the people, has the gall to issue obscenely large paid-for-by-us advertisements congratulating themselves on this terrific achievement. What is this? Good governance or a terminal cancer? As for the leaders of the nation, whatever they do is not going to work – the forces are far too strong, the current of the raging river far too vicious for us to survive and the odds hugely stacked against us. We have made a right royal mess of everything. The civil structure sucks big-time.

The self-appointed and self-applauding paragons of discipline and order, the armed forces, are just as bad. It’s only the blinding glinting light from their polished brass that prevents anyone from seeing what is going on. With self-serving bogeys erected everywhere, shadowy figures that skulk about “undermining” the state, the boys are having a ball defending the country’s ideology – which is fine and dandy, except that we have no ideology other than to cheat, deceive, lie and stab.

Some months back, Ms Sanam Bhutto wrote a tearful piece about how her heart bled seeing the pathetic condition of her beloved Larkana. But when some of us asked her what had she and her family had done (other than build opulent mausoleums) for the uplift of the wretched Sindhis of Larkana, which her family owns anyway, the lady maintained a frosty silence and then went to Sydney to deliver an impassioned speech on human rights and her book.

Thus, the sight of the president wading in the floodwaters of Sindh hasn’t exactly reduced me to tears and a lifelong allegiance to his acquired clan. His wading will do no good, and neither will the huge “action” committees that are the norm, where 45 men and women with 45 microphones gaggle on till the cows come home about what should be done. The Russians have a saying: “A camel is a horse designed by a committee.”

And, lastly, thank you Punjab for finally felling the trees along the canal, soon to be replaced by concrete and smoke-belching, fuel-guzzling ramshackle vehicles and the hissing limos of the rulers. This will improve traffic, no? A monkey from Nathiagali would have given a better solution than that provided by the experts, but who is going to invite him? We have successfully changed the climate of Islamabad, I hear – the mountains of concrete have killed the mountains of green and rain which fell heavily in the Potohar region has now evaporated. But, hey, we have plazas, don’t we?

The writer is a Lahore-based columnist. Email: masoodhasan66@gmail.com

Karachi

When 15-year-old Poonam Wasu — a Hindu girl from birth — left her house with friends on the afternoon of October 6, she could never have in her wildest dreams imagined that she would be drugged, only to wake up hours later as a married Muslim woman named Razia.

Although there are no official figures as cases of forced conversions and marriages are often hushed up, organisations like the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan believe that a large number of women had been abducted and forced to change their religion. Perhaps an even more distressing fact is that in many such instances, these women are sold to prostitution rings and as a result, lose all contact with their families.

But unlike the other women who chose to remain quiet after being threatened with dire consequences, Poonam broke the silence and took matters to court. Hailing from Lyari — where locals claim that as many as sixteen women have been abducted and forced to marry — Razia remains undaunted by the threats.

Talking about the fateful day that changed her life forever, this lean-framed girl recalls that she left her house with two friends named Saiba and Shazia, who asked her to apply some Mehndhi to relatives at a wedding. After she reached the house and sipped at the tea served to her, the rest was a blank.

“After drinking it, I fell unconscious. I don’t remember what happened after that. All I know is that when I woke up, I was a woman who has accepted Islam and performed a Nikkah with my friend’s brother, Raza Hussain, who I had never even spoken to before.”

Poonam added that she had known both the sisters for several months as one of them attended the same school as one of her siblings. Also, they would visit the same beauty parlour that Poonam would sometimes work for. “I never thought these two girls would do something like this. Both of them were so nice to me,” said the distressed teenager.

While Poonam was being drugged and forced to marry after changing her religion, back at her house, the hours ticked by and her family naturally became worried. “When it turned dark and my niece did not return, we went to her friend’s house, only to find that the door had been locked.”

The teenager’s family had registered FIR 166/2011, under section 365 at the Chakiwara police station and the law enforcers conducted a raid and recovered the abducted girl, who according to her aunt was drowsy and stumbled as she walked.

Showing the blue-inked print on her thumb, Poonam says that although the conversion certificate and the Nikkahnama have her imprints, she was unaware of what was happening with her. “Why would I put a thumb print on the documents when I can write my name in both Urdu and English?” she asked. “I was unconscious when my prints were taken. Neither have I changed my religion, nor have I married anyone.”

And that is exactly what she told the District Court South during the hearing of her case. She now hopes that the court will rule in her favour and yearns to be reunited with her family.

Taking notice of the incident, the Sindh Vice Chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, Amarnath Motumal, said, “Most of the time, criminals involved in kidnapping and forced conversion are influential and wealthy. Consequently, the victim is warned of dire consequences if she dares raise her voice. Therefore, many cases go unreported and other times, the families surrender. But Poonam is very brave and despite threats to her family that the teenager would be killed, she has decided to fight for her rights.”

The same stance is reiterated by Poonam. “My so-called husband should be severely punished. Why do people do such things? Thank God I was saved in the nick of time as I came to know later that my kidnappers were planning to shift me to another location. If they succeeded, I would have never seen my family again.
She fell unconscious as a single Hindu,

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

very disturbing news just a 15 year girl druged and forced to marry for just being a hindu not good man

whats the point you want to make here???

thankfully she was only drugged and married, what about being drugged and rapped in a dehli cab??

thankfully she was only drugged and married, what about being drugged and rapped in a dehli cab??

look mate am not into all this non sense am a guy with a balanced view point am not scoring cheap points out here i saw it and thought to post it to spread aware ness and that is it

god knows what will happen to the other abducted girls may god be with them

This forced kidnapping conversion in Pak been going on long time, I saw reports like this also few times before in papers. The only hope for minorities is Shahid only God can save them now.

yes sir all hindus across the world are thankful for this kindness...

This forced kidnapping conversion in Pak been going on long time, I saw reports like this also few times before in papers. The only hope for minorities is Shahid only God can save them now.

well this is the first time i may be saying this but pakistan needs to get back to its 80's eras people were tolerant there socity was far more free than it is today economy and security was good

look mate am not into all this non sense am a guy with a balanced view point am not scoring cheap points out here i saw it and thought to post it to spread aware ness and that is it

really please first spread awareness about your rape capital so that dehli may become safer in future

thanks

really please first spread awareness about your rape capital so that dehli may become safer in future

thanks

my good man when some girl is raped in delhi the rapist dont ask if you are a hindu or a muslim but here specifically a hindu girl was druged converted and forced to marry from how in the world you got rape and delhi into this

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

the off topic regime has successfully diverted the thread :cheers:

the best way to throw a thread down the drain

Karachi

When 15-year-old Poonam Wasu — a Hindu girl from birth — left her house with friends on the afternoon of October 6, she could never have in her wildest dreams imagined that she would be drugged, only to wake up hours later as a married Muslim woman named Razia.

Although there are no official figures as cases of forced conversions and marriages are often hushed up, organisations like the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan believe that a large number of women had been abducted and forced to change their religion. Perhaps an even more distressing fact is that in many such instances, these women are sold to prostitution rings and as a result, lose all contact with their families.

But unlike the other women who chose to remain quiet after being threatened with dire consequences, Poonam broke the silence and took matters to court. Hailing from Lyari — where locals claim that as many as sixteen women have been abducted and forced to marry — Razia remains undaunted by the threats.

Talking about the fateful day that changed her life forever, this lean-framed girl recalls that she left her house with two friends named Saiba and Shazia, who asked her to apply some Mehndhi to relatives at a wedding. After she reached the house and sipped at the tea served to her, the rest was a blank.

“After drinking it, I fell unconscious. I don’t remember what happened after that. All I know is that when I woke up, I was a woman who has accepted Islam and performed a Nikkah with my friend’s brother, Raza Hussain, who I had never even spoken to before.”

Poonam added that she had known both the sisters for several months as one of them attended the same school as one of her siblings. Also, they would visit the same beauty parlour that Poonam would sometimes work for. “I never thought these two girls would do something like this. Both of them were so nice to me,” said the distressed teenager.

While Poonam was being drugged and forced to marry after changing her religion, back at her house, the hours ticked by and her family naturally became worried. “When it turned dark and my niece did not return, we went to her friend’s house, only to find that the door had been locked.”

The teenager’s family had registered FIR 166/2011, under section 365 at the Chakiwara police station and the law enforcers conducted a raid and recovered the abducted girl, who according to her aunt was drowsy and stumbled as she walked.

Showing the blue-inked print on her thumb, Poonam says that although the conversion certificate and the Nikkahnama have her imprints, she was unaware of what was happening with her. “Why would I put a thumb print on the documents when I can write my name in both Urdu and English?” she asked. “I was unconscious when my prints were taken. Neither have I changed my religion, nor have I married anyone.”

And that is exactly what she told the District Court South during the hearing of her case. She now hopes that the court will rule in her favour and yearns to be reunited with her family.

Taking notice of the incident, the Sindh Vice Chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, Amarnath Motumal, said, “Most of the time, criminals involved in kidnapping and forced conversion are influential and wealthy. Consequently, the victim is warned of dire consequences if she dares raise her voice. Therefore, many cases go unreported and other times, the families surrender. But Poonam is very brave and despite threats to her family that the teenager would be killed, she has decided to fight for her rights.”

The same stance is reiterated by Poonam. “My so-called husband should be severely punished. Why do people do such things? Thank God I was saved in the nick of time as I came to know later that my kidnappers were planning to shift me to another location. If they succeeded, I would have never seen my family again.
She fell unconscious as a single Hindu,

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

very disturbing news just a 15 year girl druged and forced to marry for just being a hindu not good man
it is unacceptable to force someone to convert into another religion .....
anyone who is involved in abduction of hindu girls must brought to justice ....
mostly criminals are involved in tsese type of activities and Police must handle them with full force ....
that is a positive news that police took action against kidnappers ....
justice will be served ....
i hope other girls will also be recovered soon

Back
Top Bottom