What's new

Delhi and Lahore-Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Guys still Living On That :hitwall:

That News will complete Its One year Anniversary On 13 July 2010 :woot:

And in an year india has now less ppl under poverty than africa....Not !!! they just got a 100 million more poor.

India’s games stink
By Andrew Buncombe
The Foreign Desk
Wednesday, 22 September 2010 at 8:35 am

Of all the sad and predictable problems to have emerged over Delhi’s ill-fated preparations for this year’s Commonwealth Games, one detail that caught the eye of many yesterday was the revelation that a number of the apartments that are supposed to house the athletes had been soiled by human excrement. One grisly report suggested that officials from the international games committee even discovered that someone – presumably a labourer – had defecated in the kitchen sink of one of the apartments.

Terrible, terrible, awful. Yes, indeed. But while this nasty story was breaking yesterday I couldn’t help but save a thought for the poor old labourers too. Surveys and reports carried out in the run-up to the games by NGOs and human rights groups have highlighted the sometimes slave-like conditions in which the labourers responsible for building the stadiums and related infrastructure that will house the tournament have often lived. Inadequate food and water, lack of safety equipment and wages often below the pathetic national minimum wage has been the reality for most workers, often migrants labourers from India’s poorer states such as Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.

Another problem has been the lack of adequate sanitation. This is a problem faced by millions of Indians every day. Earlier this year, a report by a UN body revealed that more people here had mobile phones than enjoyed access to a toilet. While there were around 563m phone subscribers, only 366m – around a third of the population — could regularly use proper sanitation.

The problems caused by this situation are huge. Men and women alike are forced to defecate in public on scraps of land close to their homes, by railway sidings, on the edge of the road. It is a particular problem for women, who are forced to get up while it is still dark, risking being attacked or bitten by snakes, in order to try and find some privacy. Children, especially girls, are often unwilling to go to school because they know there is no toilet for them to use. Disease and illnesses spread. It is also utterly undignified.

The Indian government repeatedly claims it is seeking to end so-called “open air defecation”. An Indian minister confidently told a conference I attended in Delhi in November 2007, that the practice would be ended by 2012, such was the investment the authorities were pouring into building public toilets. Two years from his deadline, the challenge remains as huge as ever.

I should point out that some organisations make a huge effort in this regard. The charity Sulabh International, founded by the redoubtable Bindeshwar Pathak, has provided thousands of public toilets that use simple composting technology across India and beyond.

Sadly, such efforts have not been matched by successive governments in Delhi who talk so much of helping India’s millions of poor people but who repeatedly let them down. Perhaps the unidentified labourer who decided to squat in the kitchen sink at the athletes’ village was

Pakistanis

Show us some advancement ie new metro system or new Air port like in new delhi.

Delhi is built in a plateau meaning its very green.

SIMPLY SHOWING A FEW PARKES IN LAHORE does not make it beautiful.

FoR EVERY one millionaire in Lahore there is 10 in new delhi

New Delhi GDP on its own is same as Pakistani entire GDP

My parents have been to lahore they have told me its a very poor city with alot of poor people much like Pakistan the nation itself.

Nothing personal Pakistan is what it is

Chalo Bachho i m off to sleep!
Pakistan is growing amazingly with zero poverty and India is under-growing with increasing poverty okay? But do tell that to World Bank etc.
Lahore is better than Delhi and is ranks above Delhi in Global City index,okay? But do tell wikipedia to make changes.
Pakistanis are better informed than the whole world! I forgot! :D

cwg-closing1.jpg

cwg-opening-1.jpg

1272881323404-commonwealth-games.jpg

CWG-2010-Delhi.jpg

Common-Wealth-Games-Delhi-Gohoto.jpg

India’s games stink
By Andrew Buncombe
The Foreign Desk
Wednesday, 22 September 2010 at 8:35 am

Of all the sad and predictable problems to have emerged over Delhi’s ill-fated preparations for this year’s Commonwealth Games, one detail that caught the eye of many yesterday was the revelation that a number of the apartments that are supposed to house the athletes had been soiled by human excrement. One grisly report suggested that officials from the international games committee even discovered that someone – presumably a labourer – had defecated in the kitchen sink of one of the apartments.

Terrible, terrible, awful. Yes, indeed. But while this nasty story was breaking yesterday I couldn’t help but save a thought for the poor old labourers too. Surveys and reports carried out in the run-up to the games by NGOs and human rights groups have highlighted the sometimes slave-like conditions in which the labourers responsible for building the stadiums and related infrastructure that will house the tournament have often lived. Inadequate food and water, lack of safety equipment and wages often below the pathetic national minimum wage has been the reality for most workers, often migrants labourers from India’s poorer states such as Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.

Another problem has been the lack of adequate sanitation. This is a problem faced by millions of Indians every day. Earlier this year, a report by a UN body revealed that more people here had mobile phones than enjoyed access to a toilet. While there were around 563m phone subscribers, only 366m – around a third of the population — could regularly use proper sanitation.

The problems caused by this situation are huge. Men and women alike are forced to defecate in public on scraps of land close to their homes, by railway sidings, on the edge of the road. It is a particular problem for women, who are forced to get up while it is still dark, risking being attacked or bitten by snakes, in order to try and find some privacy. Children, especially girls, are often unwilling to go to school because they know there is no toilet for them to use. Disease and illnesses spread. It is also utterly undignified.

The Indian government repeatedly claims it is seeking to end so-called “open air defecation”. An Indian minister confidently told a conference I attended in Delhi in November 2007, that the practice would be ended by 2012, such was the investment the authorities were pouring into building public toilets. Two years from his deadline, the challenge remains as huge as ever.

I should point out that some organisations make a huge effort in this regard. The charity Sulabh International, founded by the redoubtable Bindeshwar Pathak, has provided thousands of public toilets that use simple composting technology across India and beyond.

Sadly, such efforts have not been matched by successive governments in Delhi who talk so much of helping India’s millions of poor people but who repeatedly let them down. Perhaps the unidentified labourer who decided to squat in the kitchen sink at the athletes’ village was

We Organised and game was completed Successfully. We Invested around 40 Billion $ to improve the Infrastructure and to make CWG in best way. It was successful as per international standard. Read more...

You can't even organise it. Our Expenditure for CWG is GDP of whole Lahore. Pakistan didn't got any chance to organise. :welcome:

Yeah You Counted , Your Posts Dont make Sense at All :tdown:

No BBC did!
BBC News - India finds '100 million' more poor people
When Lahore gets World Class transport, Metro, University, Health care , Airport and Literacy then we can compare, till then Lahore is decades away from Delhi

Lahore has transport system,Metro is under construction,one of the best educational institutes,the best service providing airport in the word.......

Delhi n mumbai 4th most dirtiest cities in the world!5th is mumbai
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...PkXkxw5lr7XjA7NGA&sig2=ZCXfilzrzxObhYC3j2jUjw

I did.

List of cities proper by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check Delhi at #4 and Lahore at #27. THIS IS NOT FOR GLORIFICATION BY SIZE OF POPULATION. Just answering a question.

That's without the suburbs.
IF you take Delhi as an urban agglomeration, then Delhi's population is ~20 million.

Just noticed, the Wikipedia list may not be exactly accurate, so I'm getting others:
City Populations
The Most Populated Cities of the World. World Megacities - Nations Online Project

y tube of lahore

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom