What's new

Dear Pakistan, are you ready for biggest action of your history?

Exactly. This is like a big shackle and around around the necks of all of the humanity.
But one thing: can Pakistan issue, gold backed crypto currency? Or may be copper or silver backed? Why can't we do this.
Theoretically any country with sizeable gold reserve can do this but the issue are

Is there any country who have this much gold reserve .... ???

Would that currency not cap economic growth of that country as you have the ceiling to go only up to the value of the currency .... ???

how that country would coup with deflation problem .... ???

Theoretically any country with sizeable gold reserve can do this but the issue are

Is there any country who have this much gold reserve .... ???

Would that currency not cap economic growth of that country as you have the ceiling to go only up to the value of the currency .... ???

how that country would coup with deflation problem .... ???
Ok one thing. The active money in today's economies is not more than 1% of the total money. By active money I mean the money that people spend. 99% money is what that always reside in accounts, pockets or else where, doing nothing. That people use to excecise power or earn more money from it. This money is nothing but extra printing of papers.
All govt of Pakistan has to do is to inject that few billions of active money in economy. Policies should be made such that people are not holding money more than a limit.

@Jungibaaz Why can terrible economies like Lebanon peg their currencies to the USD, but we cant? Not that I am advocating it, just curious.

Secondly, how would us building our Gold and Silver reserves support PKR?

Thanks Brother!

Brother I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with Lebanon, a rudimentary analysis is probably that they can manage it due to the structure of their trade, they have 36 months of reserves to cover their imports, we over around 3-4 months mostly. But exchange rates are determined primarily by supply and demand for a currency. They can vary according inflation and interest rates of one country relative to another, vary as a result of trade and investment flows, or by pegging and central bank intervention.

Fixed rate (peg) is used to promote stability, but the trade-off is distortions and inflexibility it can cause to trade balance, and underlying price mechanisms that are related to trade and other inflows/outflows, and how much it costs to maintain the peg in terms of reserves. On floating exchange rates, if the market determines the exact value of a currency like ours, the price of PKR can immediately account for macroeconomic trends, interest rates, forecasted events, other news, and you will usually have a (mostly) properly valued exchange rate that doesn't exert too much pressure on other macroeconomic factors. But the price can be volatile and undesirable. And some countries have a policy in between, mostly free floating with minimal central bank intervention, this is called a 'managed float'.

Pegs and fixed regimes are inflexible by their nature, and they can if not properly managed cause big distortions and build up of pressure. In order to combat this, you really need to be either something close to an oil rich currency like Saudi to weather any adverse movement and burn abundant dollar reserves to fight the market whenever you want, or have a good deal of exports to earn those dollars you need to maintain the peg. We don't earn much from exports to begin with, and our pegs tend to be set such that our exports suffer, and then we run short on dollars, which is the very thing you need to maintain a peg.

A lot also depends on WHERE we place a peg. Let's say today we place a dollar peg at 160 PKR, could we sustain it? Sure. Maybe for a few months, a year or two, but the real effective exchange rate will change over time and move against our peg. If we set the value at 125 PKR, then we're really playing with fire, we will need to burn reserves to battle devaluation pressures, we'd run out reserves quite quickly and the peg would fail completely after some time. Why can't we peg to the dollar and keep it there at a reasonable rate? Well, for a variety of reasons, not least uncertainty of economic movements over time. Take the US and Pakistan (PKR/USD) as an example, basic economic and financial theories regarding interest rate parity and arbitrage dictate that since the US is a low inflation, low-ish growth, and very low interest rate economy, while we on the other hand are a higher inflation, and much higher interest rate economy... all else equal over the course of a year, PKR should devalue relative to USD in order to reflect its true price. What happens when we peg is that we prevent that correction in price to occur over time. The more we prevent this, the worse the pressures and distortions become.

The recent case study for this is Ishaq Dar era 'managed float'/peg. This man's cardinal sin was his policy of pegging PKR at 105 per dollar. This was seen as a pro-growth policy, as it preserved the purchasing power of the PKR and thus the purchasing power of ordinary Pakistanis, it made imports cheaper, it helped keep inflation low without resorting to growth limiting interest rate hikes. However, it had several major flaws for a country like ours. The cheapening of imports due to strong PKR simultaneously made our exports more expensive (our exports are already very low value and not too competitive). To put it simply, a german manufactured car could probably sustain a 2-3% higher price and still get export orders, but 2-3% for agricultural commodities of Pakistani origin might make them seriously uncompetitive, or alternatively, the higher and cheaper consumption due to the peg might make those goods that might have been exported be consumed locally.

So the peg worsens the trade balance and reduces your ability to maintain forex reserves. Ordinarily, if trade balance worsens, markets see this and the PKR value will drop to reflect this change. But in Dar regime, SBP used forex reserves to fight the market on PKR valuation, burning those precious reserves to keep the peg. The longer this peg was maintained, the more PKR became overvalued, the more reserves were burned to continue fighting the market, the worse the current account deficit and trade balance became. And in turn, due to a worse deficit, the fewer new reserves we earned to replace those we lost by maintaining the peg. This cycle went on and on until the SBP ran out of reserves and ammo. So the peg fell through, interest rates were hiked, PKR fell off of a cliff and caused shock to purchasing power and inflation, and we came asking for IMF assistance because we had dollar debts due, an unsustainable dollar leakage via the current account, and no reserves to fund ourselves.

In my personal estimation, a free floating currency, or a very sparingly managed float for an economy like ours is best. If we try to go for short term prosperity by pegging PKR high, we'll damage exports. It'll be living beyond our means until the reserves run out. If we peg the PKR low as some countries like China did successfully, it should help us build export competitiveness, but not without its own set of distortions that may cause damage. So that's what I'd like to see, a mostly free floating, properly valued PKR, and an independent SBP to set rates and policies according to the needs of the economy rather than bowing to political pressure.

earlier government used to decide exchange rate but now its free floating system ..... nothing is changed other than market is given autonomy ....

My criticism of Ishaq Dar is well known here.

One of the reason I think he should be brought back, charged for "treason" , prosecuted and given a death penalty.

He is the reason behind most of Pakistan's problems at the moment.
He kept the Rupee stronger than it was, by adopting artificial means , including figures fudging.
The only reason Rupee was firm was due to the interference. Which increased the national debt. Dollar borrowed on high interest rates and kept in the SBP to keep Rupee strong. The loans were in private companies name with sovereign guarantees. Those loans were not even showed in national debt figures.

Imran has done the right thing to adopt free floating system. Which provided Rupees it real value.
Due to the needed adjustment, Pakistan GDP figures have gone down. It doesn't mean that GDP has gone down, but that in Dollar terms it is valued less.
Over time Rupee would firm, which is already happening.
Good trends of Remittances, better export figures coupled with better crops. All very positive trends, which would improve Rupees valuation over time.

This is the way to correct decades of robbing of national resources by the corrupt thugs.

I am not criticising the shaik but just to put an additional note that Today's Dinar and Dhiram are also linked with $ so it will not change any thing practically even if we delink our PKR from USD and link it with Dinar or Dirham .... and today's currencies named Dinar and Dirham are not the same Dinar or Dirham from the era of Prophet Muhammad PBUH

other then this I agree with him not all the countries claim complete sovereignty including Russsia and China ....
Simply he is speaking, between the lines as PAPJONES is rulling Pakistan there isn't any way to have real independence, understand what he isn't saying!

Brother I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with Lebanon, a rudimentary analysis is probably that they can manage it due to the structure of their trade, they have 36 months of reserves to cover their imports, we over around 3-4 months mostly. But exchange rates are determined primarily by supply and demand for a currency. They can vary according inflation and interest rates of one country relative to another, vary as a result of trade and investment flows, or by pegging and central bank intervention.

Fixed rate (peg) is used to promote stability, but the trade-off is distortions and inflexibility it can cause to trade balance, and underlying price mechanisms that are related to trade and other inflows/outflows, and how much it costs to maintain the peg in terms of reserves. On floating exchange rates, if the market determines the exact value of a currency like ours, the price of PKR can immediately account for macroeconomic trends, interest rates, forecasted events, other news, and you will usually have a (mostly) properly valued exchange rate that doesn't exert too much pressure on other macroeconomic factors. But the price can be volatile and undesirable. And some countries have a policy in between, mostly free floating with minimal central bank intervention, this is called a 'managed float'.

Pegs and fixed regimes are inflexible by their nature, and they can if not properly managed cause big distortions and build up of pressure. In order to combat this, you really need to be either something close to an oil rich currency like Saudi to weather any adverse movement and burn abundant dollar reserves to fight the market whenever you want, or have a good deal of exports to earn those dollars you need to maintain the peg. We don't earn much from exports to begin with, and our pegs tend to be set such that our exports suffer, and then we run short on dollars, which is the very thing you need to maintain a peg.

A lot also depends on WHERE we place a peg. Let's say today we place a dollar peg at 160 PKR, could we sustain it? Sure. Maybe for a few months, a year or two, but the real effective exchange rate will change over time and move against our peg. If we set the value at 125 PKR, then we're really playing with fire, we will need to burn reserves to battle devaluation pressures, we'd run out reserves quite quickly and the peg would fail completely after some time. Why can't we peg to the dollar and keep it there at a reasonable rate? Well, for a variety of reasons, not least uncertainty of economic movements over time. Take the US and Pakistan (PKR/USD) as an example, basic economic and financial theories regarding interest rate parity and arbitrage dictate that since the US is a low inflation, low-ish growth, and very low interest rate economy, while we on the other hand are a higher inflation, and much higher interest rate economy... all else equal over the course of a year, PKR should devalue relative to USD in order to reflect its true price. What happens when we peg is that we prevent that correction in price to occur over time. The more we prevent this, the worse the pressures and distortions become.

The recent case study for this is Ishaq Dar era 'managed float'/peg. This man's cardinal sin was his policy of pegging PKR at 105 per dollar. This was seen as a pro-growth policy, as it preserved the purchasing power of the PKR and thus the purchasing power of ordinary Pakistanis, it made imports cheaper, it helped keep inflation low without resorting to growth limiting interest rate hikes. However, it had several major flaws for a country like ours. The cheapening of imports due to strong PKR simultaneously made our exports more expensive (our exports are already very low value and not too competitive). To put it simply, a german manufactured car could probably sustain a 2-3% higher price and still get export orders, but 2-3% for agricultural commodities of Pakistani origin might make them seriously uncompetitive, or alternatively, the higher and cheaper consumption due to the peg might make those goods that might have been exported be consumed locally.

So the peg worsens the trade balance and reduces your ability to maintain forex reserves. Ordinarily, if trade balance worsens, markets see this and the PKR value will drop to reflect this change. But in Dar regime, SBP used forex reserves to fight the market on PKR valuation, burning those precious reserves to keep the peg. The longer this peg was maintained, the more PKR became overvalued, the more reserves were burned to continue fighting the market, the worse the current account deficit and trade balance became. And in turn, due to a worse deficit, the fewer new reserves we earned to replace those we lost by maintaining the peg. This cycle went on and on until the SBP ran out of reserves and ammo. So the peg fell through, interest rates were hiked, PKR fell off of a cliff and caused shock to purchasing power and inflation, and we came asking for IMF assistance because we had dollar debts due, an unsustainable dollar leakage via the current account, and no reserves to fund ourselves.

In my personal estimation, a free floating currency, or a very sparingly managed float for an economy like ours is best. If we try to go for short term prosperity by pegging PKR high, we'll damage exports. It'll be living beyond our means until the reserves run out. If we peg the PKR low as some countries like China did successfully, it should help us build export competitiveness, but not without its own set of distortions that may cause damage. So that's what I'd like to see, a mostly free floating, properly valued PKR, and an independent SBP to set rates and policies according to the needs of the economy rather than bowing to political pressure.
Dear Brother,

Thank you for the excellent detailed response. Now could you tell us how do gold & silver reserves fit into the picture, what are its pros and cons?

Best Regards

that was not help of west sir . that was policies and vision of china . not many liek china in west but china forced them to knee down . what is our policy ? do we have any policy ? no we are busy in dirty politics since 74 years in nazuk surat e haal .we are jatt of world we grow some crops they give us few dollars .

We are not jatt of the world. We jatt don't take sh1t from anyone - unlike Pakistani state.

1621543223492.png

LOL

In all seriousness how money is earnt doesn't matter as long as it is halal. Agriculture could be incredibly economic for us if we took a business minded approach to it. For example...

1. grow expensive produce to export such as Saffron, avacados, olive oil, mango, walnuts, kashews, almonds...

2. Sell value added products. For example olive oil instead of raw olives. Instead of making garments we export brands and branded products like Khaadi.

Ultimately though the economic model of the world is corrupt. Its based on passing of debt to the next generation, expecting tomorrow's worker to pay today's bills. This is why we have boom and bust cycles and this is why the wealth is increasingly in the hands of so few.

Whilst we idiots sit here mocking Islamic economic models, western countries are adapting aspects of them.

For example, many progressive Western societies are trialing universal income. This is a concept from 1400 years ago. Many countries are considering wealth taxes. Argentina just had a 1 off wealth tax to help pay for the COVID lockdown. In Islam we call the wealth tax zakat.

The idea that we run the world economy on goats and dates is a non starter, but the biggest economic challenge for the entire world is how to transition the global economy away from its addiction to debt and towards greater distribution of wealth.

I firmly believe Islamic scholars should team up with the finest economic minds in the world. It should be an open source project open to all, welcome to scrutiny from all. Find a road map to a halal global economy.

I am not criticising the shaik but just to put an additional note that Today's Dinar and Dhiram are also linked with $ so it will not change any thing practically even if we delink our PKR from USD and link it with Dinar or Dirham .... and today's currencies named Dinar and Dirham are not the same Dinar or Dirham from the era of Prophet Muhammad PBUH

other then this I agree with him not all the countries claim complete sovereignty including Russsia and China ....
Sheikh said Dinar and Dirham mentioned the quran and sunnah. That should clear things up for you.

I'm not a financial expert, so I don't know how we can operate on a global level with our own economic rules. For example if we had an interest free economy, with currency backed by real assets and whatever else is a requirement of an Islamic economy - what happens if we buy/sell something in dollars? If you want to buy my garlic and you pay me in euros, can I accept your funny money? If not then how do I sell you garlic?

Maybe in order for me to sell garlic, I need to first buy some cake and pay with my halal currency. Then they can use my halal currency to buy my garlic?

But then what if they want to buy more from me than I want from them? I want to sell my garlic, but I don't want to buy any more cake or anything else?

I don't know the answers. This is why we need people like conspiracy theory shiekh (I forgot his name) to be challenged by economists. They need to work in parallel to find an alternative model and a path to transition to it - rather than just lecture.

Economic Independence is extremely important. The goal thus should not be to become rich but to become self sustained. A self sustained economy is immune to external pressures and provides the kind of Independence we as a nation want.
Senior members here giving examples of vietnam, Bangladesh and Indonesia, they are getting rich, the point is are they getting independent economically as well? or more dependent on west? These countries can get rich but if they fall out of line, the western system will freeze them, sanction them and poof, all the wealth is gone and now would be impossible for them to control a population used to luxury.
Becoming self sufficient and self sustained should be the main goal of a country like Pakistan. Even china have realized as now Xi talks about internal cycle of economy. The geography and population of Pakistan is feasible for a self sustained country with minimal dependence on foreign input. Now it all depends on the people.

Economic Independence is extremely important. The goal thus should not be to become rich but to become self sustained. A self sustained economy is immune to external pressures and provides the kind of Independence we as a nation want.
Senior members here giving examples of vietnam, Bangladesh and Indonesia, they are getting rich, the point is are they getting independent economically as well? or more dependent on west? These countries can get rich but if they fall out of line, the western system will freeze them, sanction them and poof, all the wealth is gone and now would be impossible for them to control a population used to luxury.
Becoming self sufficient and self sustained should be the main goal of a country like Pakistan. Even china have realized as now Xi talks about internal cycle of economy. The geography and population of Pakistan is feasible for a self sustained country with minimal dependence on foreign input. Now it all depends on the people.

Love your response, absolutely Brilliant.

We need to be independent in food, energy and technology.

Food and energy is easy, technology requires massive crisis level funding and root and branch reform of education.

I also think we should collaborate with anyone and everyone in education and R&D, especially friendly countries.

what he is talking is start building gold and silver i been carying both for long time and ALMEHDI will kill all in one night trnsfering papper money in to gold and silver that is what china and russia did
That can't happen using this system.
Turkey has grown nicely in the last 20 years. The main reason is that it is a Zionist country
However when erdo steps out of line the currency devalues and inflation gets out if hand. At the moment inflation in Turkey is almost 20%.
The government is begging citizens to sell it physical gold.
Pakistan is more fragile economically than turkey.
according to holy propphet turkey will exit isalm in end time hadith sahi muslim

what he is talking is start building gold and silver i been carying both for long time and ALMEHDI will kill all in one night trnsfering papper money in to gold and silver that is what china and russia did

according to holy propphet turkey will exit isalm in end time hadith sahi muslim
brother let us agree to disagree ....

Back
Top Bottom