What's new

Dassault seeks European drone, Indian Rafale deals

What are these 10% and 23% figures ??? What or which expenditure you are talking about if not total of GDP ???
sir jee i was talking about the total expenditure of the G.O.I. in the fiscal year 2013-14(which includes all the expenditure spend by the G.O.I. on social sector,education,health etc.).
The BE for 2012-13 accounted for 1.90 per cent of the GDP, whereas a year earlier it accounted for 1.92 per cent at the RE stage. Thus, it has been a hat-trick of sorts as the defence budget has remained below 2 per cent of the GDP for three consecutive years.

The strategic community, which has been asking for the defence budget to be pegged at 3 per cent of the GDP, is not likely to be amused.

A contrarian view is that the GDP is not the disposable income in the hands of the government and, therefore, the government cannot ensure that a fixed percentage of the GDP is spent on any particular sector. Moreover, a lower percentage of a high GDP would mean more money in absolute terms than a higher percentage of lower GDP.

Pakistan spends more than double of what India spends on defence in terms of percentage of GDP but it is a moot question whether that country is better placed in terms of its national security and territorial integrity than India. The allocation has to be related to the realistically assessed requirements and not to extraneous factors like the GDP.

What is important is the percentage share of defence expenditure in the CGE. The outlay for 2013-14 constitutes 12.23 per cent of the total CGE, which is marginally lower than the percentages for the last two years, which were 12.97 and 12.96 respectively. The share of defence outlay in the CGE has come down from the peak of 15.91 per cent in 2005-06
..:: India Strategic ::. MoD Updates: India's Defence Budget 2013-14
sorry sir jee it was 12.23% and not 10% as stated by me of the revenue expenditure of 2013-14.

sir jee i was talking about the total expenditure of the G.O.I. in the fiscal year 2013-14(which includes all the expenditure spend by the G.O.I. on social sector,education,health etc.).

..:: India Strategic ::. MoD Updates: India's Defence Budget 2013-14
sorry sir jee it was 12.23% and not 10% as stated by me of the revenue expenditure of 2013-14.

That was the problem - the term "total expenditure". Its actually the expenditure of GOI excluding the various schemes , five year plan and revenue share divided into states.

When you write total expenditure I add all that :D my bad. But still think the term isnt correct. I will post back if I find anything regarding that

@BLACKGOLD

Do you think France will settle the agreement with India soon? I understand that India prefers to build its Aircrafts locally, how flexible the French are regarding this?

Last edited by a moderator:
@BLACKGOLD

Do you think France will settle the agreement with India soon? I understand that India prefers to build its Aircrafts locally, how flexible the French are regarding this?

They have issues with HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited) which is responsible for the local manufacturing of the aircraft,they want a private player Reliance instead of HAL and they want more money for complete TOT,especially for the manufacturing of engines.
As far as the negotiations are concerned HAL issue is settled only the issue of price remains which is likely to be settled in upcoming negotiations.
Basically what french wanted is more money for TOT and no responsibility for locally manufactured aircraft's,of which only the money issue needs to be settled.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have issues with HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited) which is responsible for the local manufacturing of the aircraft,they want a private player Reliance instead of HAL and they want more money for complete TOT,especially for the manufacturing of engines.
As far as the negotiations are concerned HAL issue is settled only the issue of price remains which is likely to be settled in upcoming negotiations.
Basically what french wanted is more money for TOT and no responsibility for locally manufactured aircraft's,of which only the money issue needs to be settled.

If that's so, India has the money and can offer a lot in return to a ToT, only one thing that could trouble India is the delay to catch up with China's military developments, but I guess that won't remain for too long if India is willing to act out. The other thing is hat, India usually asks for more advanced Aircrafts than what usually exists..

If that's so, India has the money and can offer a lot in return to a ToT, only one thing that could trouble India is the delay to catch up with China's military developments, but I guess that won't remain for too long if India is willing to act out. The other thing is hat, India usually asks for more advanced Aircrafts than what usually exists..

As far as China is concerned its a long race,buying DR or FGFA will certainly enhance our capabilities. What China has is its industry,manufacturing something we are trying to expand now,they already are ahead of us.Lets see a stable and decisive govt is what we need.
As far as Dr i think money issue will be settled soon and we can hope for deal to be signed in sept/oct of this year.
And we don't ask for very advanced aircraft but we need to equip it with our military requirements as we did in MKI and that certainly delays the process.

Well,

I think the Sino-Indo Cold War will take a different shape and scenario of its own. India is the largest exporter of raw material to the whole world, and China is the largest importer of Indian raw material, both countries are mature enough and armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons. The Indian per logic toward the world is intresting, I don't think India will cause a trouble to any nation in the long run.

Speaking of an arm race, Yes, I guess India is little bit behind China, but still India is the 4th strongest military in the world. But you guys can catch easily, it will take time, but not too long.

As for the DR, man :/, India is as picky as the UAE, both want to buy the best of the best of all, that's their very own right to do so though, expensive taste doesn't have to be lavish, but quality is what matters at the end of the day..

Anywho, Congrats to all Indians!

As far as China is concerned its a long race,buying DR or FGFA will certainly enhance our capabilities. What China has is its industry,manufacturing something we are trying to expand now,they already are ahead of us.Lets see a stable and decisive govt is what we need.
As far as Dr i think money issue will be settled soon and we can hope for deal to be signed in sept/oct of this year.
And we don't ask for very advanced aircraft but we need to equip it with our military requirements as we did in MKI and that certainly delays the process.

Back
Top Bottom