What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rafale won because it is a very well rounded aircraft that could do everything well. Including meeting the unique requirements of the IAF.

Rafale really is state of the art. The IAF's acquisition of the Rafale (in large numbers) coupled with the MKI (in large numbers) and the pak-fa (in large numbers) will make the IAF an impressive force not only in the region but in the world.
I appreciate that from u.... Between long time no see? Welcome back anyway

The Rafale won because it is a very well rounded aircraft that could do everything well. Including meeting the unique requirements of the IAF.

Rafale really is state of the art. The IAF's acquisition of the Rafale (in large numbers) coupled with the MKI (in large numbers) and the pak-fa (in large numbers) will make the IAF an impressive force not only in the region but in the world.

a naval embargo and the country turning into a war zone would instantly take out the PAK-FA and Rafale out of action, as the only plane that could be maintained on India supplied parts would then be the MKI.

Side arrays were considered for the F22 in the past as well and similar systems are possible for the Rafale in future too:

Plans For Further Rafale Upgrades Emerge | AVIATION WEEK

I recently summed up the upgrades of the version offered in MMRCA and some that are possible in future:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/4347-mrca-news-discussions-506.html#post2547826

The new Rafale F3+ or F3-04T will come with the M-88-2E4 engine, which is an upgraded M88-2 but not for increased thrust, but longer engine life and reduced operational costs. This Rafale version was offered in MMRCA and should be the one we will get, the 90kN M88-3 on the other side will be the base for a possible Kaveri - Snecma engine co-development.

Says who? Even in the old dogfighting times with guns any pilot tried to get on the 6 of the enemy. This didn't even changed much, when IR missiles were added for WVR fights, because the older missiles couldn't be used, when your target is behind you and the same base tactic still counts today in BVR combats. Stay out of the FOV of you opponent and he can't attack you!

True, but still these fighters will be used next to MKI or any other 4th gen fighter with IFF. That means in an air combat with several enemy and own fighters, these Migs will appear on MKIs radar just as a target, which can't be distinguished automatically and the only ways to avoid killing one of them is, AWACS support or visual ID before lauchning a weapon and the latter is clearly the safer choice!

with new engine, I heard IAF is negotiatng for something above F4 with F5 version in keeping mind :smokin:

Most of the Rafales currently in service are built to the F2 standard, which adds the ability to carry and use precision ground attack weapons.

Since 2008, all Rafales have been delivered in the F3 standard, which adds the ability to carry French ASMP-A air-launched nuclear missiles, allowing the Rafale to replace the Mirage 2000N in that role. Other modifications include full integration with the Reco NG reconnaissance pod, implementation of all currently planned modes for the RBE2 radar, antiship attack with the Exocet or ANF, the Gerfaut helmet-mounted sight, and support for an improved tanker pack.

The batch ordered in 2009 will also have improved protection suites and Thales’ RBE2-AA AESA radar, replacing the mechanically-scanned RBE2 array on previous aircraft. Full integration with Thales’ Damocles surveillance and targeting pod was expected to be complete by 2010, and Damocles-equipped Rafales were used over Libya in 2011. Efforts to include MBDA’s Meteor long-range air-air missiles are ongoing. Some sources refer to Rafales fielded with all of these modifications as Rafale 'F4s', but the type has not been formally defined yet.

Aviation Week’s Air and Cosmos reports that France is developing active stealth for the Rafale 'F5' (2 versions hence).Bill Sweetman explains:
“Active cancellation means preventing a radar from detecting a target by firing back a deception signal with the same frequency as the reflection, but precisely one-half wavelength out of phase with it. Result: the returned energy reaching the radar has no frequency and can’t be detected. It’s quite as difficult as it sounds…. This may not be the first French attempt to implement AC on the Rafale. At the Paris air show in 1997, I interviewed a senior engineer at what was then Dassault Electronique….

France’s Rafale Fighters: Au Courant In Time?

Rafale F3-04T. This will introduce the RBE-2 AESA-MMR, the laser-/GPS-/imaging infra-red-guided AASM PGM from SAGEM, improved OSF infra-red search-and-track system from THALES, and MBDA's DDM-NG passive missile approach warning system. Down the line, MBDA’s Meteor beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile should enter service around 2018. In addition, funded research and development studies are already looking towards possible enhancements--to be made several years beyond this point--in areas such as a reduction to the Rafale’s radar cross-section, expanded flight envelope, human/machine interface enhancements and new communications equipment and weapons. A mid-life update is also planned from around 2025.

TRISHUL: Dassault Aviation’s Rafale Wins India's M-MRCA Competition

From 2013, the RAFALE "omnirole" fighters will be delivered with the new Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar. The new AESA radar technology offers many operational advantages: increased detection and tracking ranges, enlarged surveillance coverage in azimuth, and significantly ameliorated reliability thanks to the introduction of the new redundant transmit/receive modules. This new RBE2 variant will be fully compatible in terms of detection range with the future extreme long range METEOR air-to-air missile.

Rafale

a naval embargo and the country turning into a war zone would instantly take out the PAK-FA and Rafale out of action, as the only plane that could be maintained on India supplied parts would then be the MKI.

Even for the sake of argument, PAK-FA as well as RAFALE will be like MKI only. We will produce a to z, 100% in Indian plants.

hey guys does anyone knows the detailed configuration of rafale offered to india??

How do u propose a naval embargo ever looked on the map to see where we are located? Chinese merchant ships pass through the 'Indian Ocean' the clue is in the name :disagree:

628x471.jpg

China has nothing like the P-8 sub hunter we can make mincemeat of their noisy Han class subs

Thanks Freind ,
Its probabally the best thread ever on MMRCA on this forum Thanks Again , anyway personally i like Typhoon deu to its better radar & service cealing + better engines , but as a top airforce official (wont ever disclose his name&rank) told that airforce is going for Rafale & in the later stages it will have GE 414 engine + some isrealy stuff with a few american wepons ,though i personally found it hillarius but the guy seemed to be pretty confident.....ps dont want to derail this thread but will certainly like comments from senior guys , Thanks .

Original Post By GURU DUTT
on 11-03-2011/#24/layman's annalyses of MMRCA/India Defence

dekha bhai log my source was write , now about GE414& isrealy tech +Amarican wepon's too early to say,..Thanks

Thanks Freind ,
Its probabally the best thread ever on MMRCA on this forum Thanks Again , anyway personally i like Typhoon deu to its better radar & service cealing + better engines , but as a top airforce official (wont ever disclose his name&rank) told that airforce is going for Rafale & in the later stages it will have GE 414 engine + some isrealy stuff with a few american wepons ,though i personally found it hillarius but the guy seemed to be pretty confident.....ps dont want to derail this thread but will certainly like comments from senior guys , Thanks .

dekha bhai log my source was write , now about GE414& isrealy tech +Amarican wepon's too early to say,..Thanks

108 Rafale are going to be manufactured in India plus , none of India's opponents have naval power projection/resources to take Indian navy and then impose an embargo.

Other than USN, nobody has the power to put naval embargo on India.

Thanks Freind ,

American weapons and some Israeli tech I can see but GE414 engines later who knows

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

meteor-cutout.jpg

MBDA Meteor is what we should order for the Rafale later

many indian critics are criticizing the deal on ntdv show
they are saying why we choose Rafael when worlds powers are now shifting to 5th gen
i think they are wrong
life spin of Rafael is 40 years which mean more delay in future programs

American weapons and some Israeli tech I can see but GE414 engines later who knows

boss my source told me that Iaf wanted commonality in its main fleet & he also said if GE414 is fitted on Rafale it will increase its service ceiling+ it will be able to carry a havier load without any changes in feul consomption & talks are already on for that as french had used GE enginen in its earler tests of rafale.....?????

many indian critics are criticizing the deal on ntdv show
they are saying why we choose Rafael when worlds powers are now shifting to 5th gen
i think they are wrong
life spin of Rafael is 40 years which mean more delay in future programs
may be they don't understand we have to phase out migs and other older acs and there has to be a replacement along with LCA. 2 Fifth gen programs are already going, till then what will we do...fly migs, let more pilot die, weaken our defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom