What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind closed doors among top govt. circles = Yes.

Out in the open among the public = No.

Only if it is a political decision, otherwise we will first shortlist the contendors and wait for their final offers, only then we can decide which fighter will win.

Crossposting from the MP forum:

Lula talks with Sarkozy and indicates choosing the Rafale
Fohla , nov 17

After talking with French President Nicolas Sarkozy during the G20 meeting in Seoul last week, President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said on Wednesday that he will meet the elected president Rousseff and the Minister of Defense Nelson Jobim, to finally hit the hammer on the purchase of fighter planes for the military.

The Rafale fighter jets built by French company Dassault compete with the American F/A-18 Super Hornet (Boeing) and the Swedish Gripen (Saab) with a billion dollar contract to buy 36 jets from Brazil.

Lula has demonstrated a preference for French planes, but as his government is at the end, he must take the decision together with Dilma.

"I think it's an important decision and also one of those decisions I can not take alone because and its is a long term thing and im a month and a half to finish my mandate. I talked with Sarkozy. I'll talk to Dilma and Jobim and with you and with the press, "he said in an interview at the Planalto Palace.

Seems like a decision is made and only the new President has to agree.

Will it have any impact on our competition??

Maybe, the cost of Rafale could sink, depending on how many they will order at the end. Also the variety of weapons available for Rafale could be enhanced if the Brazilians integrate other than the French weapons, MAR 1 anti radiation missile could be a good choice, possibly also A - Darter SR missile that they co-develop with South Africa.

Maybe, the cost of Rafale could sink, depending on how many they will order at the end. Also the variety of weapons available for Rafale could be enhanced if the Brazilians integrate other than the French weapons, MAR 1 anti radiation missile could be a good choice, possibly also A - Darter SR missile that they co-develop with South Africa.

Lets hope Sarkozy scores a double. :lol:

Lets hope Sarkozy scores a double. :lol:

Hope so too, even more interesting would be if they can fix the deal with UAE, because they would fund even more improvements.

- HMS
- higher thrust engines (although I prefer Kaveri-Snecma engine)
- higher weapon payloads
- possibly further upgrades to radar and EWS
- SLAM - ER integration
- maybe even CFTs

not to mention 60 more Rafales on order.

As long MMRCA is not decided, this offer has no point, because although it is good for our shrinking numbers, we have to finalise the winner first. Rafale is the only fighter that is an alternative for all 3 forces, but if the SH wins, I guess SFC will choose MKI, or Su 34s in the nuclear role.
Personally, instead of 40 x fighters of the same type for the nuclear role, I would split it into 20 x Rafales and 20 x MKIs / Su 34s, because I think that role would be too important to depent on a single type only. In any case of technical problems, this option to answer (India has no first strike policy!) would be gone.

40 aircrafts does not mean 40 only.... other 240 su mki can any day drop nuke..

As long MMRCA is not decided, this offer has no point, because although it is good for our shrinking numbers, we have to finalise the winner first. Rafale is the only fighter that is an alternative for all 3 forces, but if the SH wins, I guess SFC will choose MKI, or Su 34s in the nuclear role.
Personally, instead of 40 x fighters of the same type for the nuclear role, I would split it into 20 x Rafales and 20 x MKIs / Su 34s, because I think that role would be too important to depent on a single type only. In any case of technical problems, this option to answer (India has no first strike policy!) would be gone.

Well i think best combo is

30 to 35 su 34s (for current use)
5 to 10 PaK-Da (After Development)

Well i think best combo is

30 to 35 su 34s (for current use)
5 to 10 PaK-Da (After Development)

PAK-DA ?, the last high altitude fighter which russia gave to india was the mig-25 , even at that time the russians won't agree to equiped it with any type of weapons , india only can use them for spying..

Hi Sancho -

I dont see the French lobying hard for Rafale these days, even before while others a pitching too hard, including EF.
Mind that EF is pitching despite getting export customers (confirrmed) are trying level best to catch a deal with us, while French are just not seem to do nothing.

What couldd bee the reason?, are the very confident or they think Brazil is more important than India.

I dont see the French lobying hard for Rafale these days....

maybe they are over confident?

I dont see the French lobying hard for Rafale these days....

maybe they are over confident?

The only tender they can win is the Brazil one at the moment unless Sarkozy makes India a deal it can not say no to when he arrives, the rafale does not have a single export order so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom