What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what every fighter can serve as for that time period,compared to EFT how many Rafales had been rolled out so far,if funding is the issue,they just get one more member with huge cash flow if we decide on EFT,their r no takers for Rafale untill now,so even we cannot expect a price cut.

talks on lefting arms embargo senctions on china underways........china could be the first customer of Rafale..

Last edited:
Shortlisting, Shortly

Prospects are increasing that India will sustain four offerings in its $12-billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) program but soon eliminate the MiG-35 and F‑16IN from the field.

The downselect, which industry officials had widely expected would not take place until after February’s Aero India show in Bangalore, could become official as early as next month, program watchers indicate. The actual announcement of the decision, however, is still not expected until after the air show. Remaining in the battle to build at least 126 fighters would be the Saab Gripen, the only single-engine offering, along with the Eurofighter Typhoon, Dassault Rafale and Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

It has appeared likely for some time that the MiG-35 would be dropped from the running, and in recent days the F-16I’s elimination has also begun to seem inevitable. A drawback of the F-16, according to Indian air force officials, is that Pakistan also operates a version of the fighter. The Indian government has consistently expressed its frustration and irritation at Washington’s continued supply of weapons—most notably more F-16s—to Islamabad, weapons India believes only serve to close the conventional military gap between the two countries.

U.S. industry officials insist, however, that while India publicly expresses misgivings about the U.S.-Pakistani relationship, it is quietly less opposed because it sees Washington’s involvement as a stabilizing force.

Furthermore, a Lockheed Martin official insists, “we have heard nothing that would suggest the Indian government would eliminate either U.S. competitor from the competition because of U.S. engagement with Pakistan. On the contrary, we are very confident, based on the results of the field evaluation trials, that the F-16IN Super Viper is fully compliant with India’s requirements.”

Industry observers note that recent opinion pieces in the Indian press, which suggest that the MMRCA competition be scrapped and replaced with a purchase of 200 Lockheed Martin F-35As, could indicate that the company is already looking beyond the competition. The F-35 is not in play for the air force requirement, although both the F-35C and the F-35B are officially on offer to the Indian navy.

Speculation in India has put the Eurofighter and Rafale ahead in the bidding, but Indian air force officials dismiss that. Moreover, the Gripen and F/A-18E/F have an edge in terms of price, which may be gaining greater weight in the selection process.

The Gripen appears to have found indirect support from the government. The director of the Indian government’s official air power think tank says the Gripen suits the service’s requirements best. In a recent column, Air Commo.Jasjit Singh writes: “The choice that comes closest to the ‘medium’ multirole aircraft that the [Indian air force] has been seeking since a decade ago is the [Indian version of the Gripen NG].”

A great deal of political diplomacy to push through a deal—as well as furious back-channel lobbying—will undoubtedly occur in the next few months. Following the visit by U.S. President Barack Obama last week, the heads of state of Russia and France are scheduled to be hosted by New Delhi soon. Indian air force chief Air Chief Marshal PV Naik has indicated that the government will make a type selection by July, although a decision could come closer to the end of 2011.

Shortlisting, Shortly | AVIATION WEEK

Note: The analysis of Air Commo.Jasjit Singh was interesting, but his conclusion was wrong, because he mixed up his own points at the end, as discussed here before.

“The choice that comes closest to the ‘medium’ multirole aircraft that the [Indian air force] has been seeking since a decade ago is the [Indian version of the Gripen NG].”

Seriously IAF officials think that Gripen-NG is best suited for us?
Oh come on if Gripen is good then F-16 is the better.
Just bcoz Pakistan have them,we shouldn't induct them?
I think Tejas is comparable to Gripen.

The closest to Mirage 2000 :D :

rafale07.jpg

Seriously IAF officials think that Gripen-NG is best suited for us?
Oh come on if Gripen is good then F-16 is the better.
Just bcoz Pakistan have them,we shouldn't induct them?
I think Tejas is comparable to Gripen.

Nooo my friend....
Tejas MK-II is comparable to Gripen...
Tejas has to go long way to reach Gripen..(Still 5 years)

Trust me...Gripen is the only one man army here....It will perfectly fit the IAF requirement..:yahoo: Since it has got all the potential.:agree:

I know Eurofighter is the best choice but it is very expensive....

Remaining in the battle to build at least 126 fighters would be the Saab Gripen, the only single-engine offering, along with the Eurofighter Typhoon, Dassault Rafale and Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

if Eurofighter Typhoon, Dassault Rafale and Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and Gripen will be the four finalist then it will be Gripen winning the deal on lowest bidder ........

infect Gripen is good choice if it full filled the IAF requirments....

in next 7-8 years if a JV with french could improve Kaveri , then Gripen would be the best choice....

Nooo my friend....
Tejas MK-II is comparable to Gripen...
Tejas has to go long way to reach Gripen..(Still 5 years)

Trust me...Gripen is the only one man army here....It will perfectly fit the IAF requirement..:yahoo: Since it has got all the potential.:agree:

I know Eurofighter is the best choice but it is very expensive....

Gripen is no doubt a lowest bid plane.But still it depends on various countries like USA for engine etc.
Also Gripen is better than Tejas mk-1 but we can induct Tejas in large no. right now and when upgrade it to mk-2 then it will be comparable to gripen.So no need to buy $10 Billion MRCA .
This is the same as Pakistan inducting JF-17 in large no. to counter India in numbers.

The closest to Mirage 2000 :D :

rafale07.jpg
Sancho -

If we take the cost into consideration wlong with diplomacy behind it.

There are below options that come into my mind -
1. F-18 though fits to multirole with a low price, it still will face the axe of mistrust btn US and India, it may not be abt sanctions now, but India not being a signatory of CISMOA, so a stripped down version will be there and mostly the AESA will be affected by this. so less chances for a bargain.

2. EF is lobbying hard for as they know India is their only option to make EF more export friendly as it can reduce the cost iof EF drastically for other countries to opt for it. Some links have also claimed abt teh blue print of the craft and it does look like they will surely go more than extra mile to get this deal. However selection of kaveri has played it down for EF. so if IAF includes EF now, it will have EJ-2000, GE F414, GE 404IN, Rolls royace, RD-33, and S-117 and other different engine types to maintain and repair. and EJ2000 will be the most difficlut as its one of the most advanced and completely new engine to us. But here the factor comes, like I said Navy had an option of AESA but didnt go for it, so it makes me think, a sripped down F-18 has better chance than EF, even if it offers jobs and creates wonder for us.

3. Coming to Rafale, it has only common thing is that IAF uses French avionics, and operates its elder brother Mirage. But they are kind of have the habit to play with prices. Remember it took nearly two years for us to fix the Mirage deal. But IAF will operate them much easier as they have operated Mirage. The French AFAIK havent offered an advanced M-88 like others are pitching for, and mostly if they offer, that will come with a price....So the F-18 comes to pic here, will a stripped F-18 be a better choice than Rafale also. Also keeping it in mind that Snecma and GTRE have still not come to an agreement to jointly develope Kaveri, which hits the fate off Kaveri with Rafale badly, noting that it will also come with a price. Now this cost is seperate from cost of acqquisition of MRCA. There is no sign of India getting into a deal with France for a co-developemnt of M-88-4. Also I will say the Indian PSUs who are pitching hard for defence contracts also will lobby for a contract which wwill give them better and bigger deals. Nevertheless our Babudome will also listen to these PSUs.

4. Now comes Gripen, wwith significantly lower cost, and almost multirole ability, this can be a real game changer. The fear we had of Gripen operating a US enigine, could be managed out by teh recent LCA deal, where Ge has guaranteed TOT, so in case of a sanction we can also maintain and manage the repair ourselves. Now AESA is also not that a big problem for Gripen, now with Metoer, this couldd be a real player, out playing F-18, Rafale and EF, also SAAB is aggressive when it comes TOT and jobs like EF.

What do you think at this moment, I know I like Rafale, but want to keep the personal openion out for the time being as shotlisting will happen soon. Just a check before we hit tha pot.

Is Gripen-NG/IN which is offered to India comparable to F-16 blk-52+ which Pakistan have?
Bcoz F-16IN which is offered by LM to India is superior than Gripen-NG/IN.

Is Gripen-NG/IN which is offered to India comparable to F-16 blk-52+ which Pakistan have?
Bcoz F-16IN which is offered by LM to India is superior than Gripen-NG/IN.

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT ?:woot:YOU MEAN THIS
gripen-ng-2.jpg

OR this
f16i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom