What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

Sensor? Rafale AESA radar was judged good enough by UAE. So good that they didn't inked a F35 deal.

Troll post, the UAE Rafale deal has nothing to do with the F-35.

The defense ministry of the United Arab Emirates is expressing continued interest in US-made F-35 stealth fighter jets, despite a recent purchase of French warplanes.

Commander of the UAE’s air force and air defense told state news outlet over the weekend that last week’s deal for 80 French-made Rafale fighter jets was no substitute for the country’s intent to buy Lockheed-Martin’s F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

“This deal is not considered as an alternative for the forthcoming F-35 deal,” Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Nasser Al Alawi told Emirates News Agency late on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/original...hter-jets-no-substitute-us-f-35#ixzz7b0olrOjD

What kind of "4th gen" fighters?
Aircraft that are kinematically superior to the Rafale.

But there is a big difference in helmet capabilities - don’t try to hide behind generalized statements
Sure.
First of all : the price.
Second : the F35 one breaks the neck of tiny pilot.

Aircraft that are kinematically superior to the Rafale.
Except speed, no one is better.
need another try ? OK, let's go.

F-35 = different league.
Yes, different league.

well if an F-35 gets into a merge with the enemy the F-35 pilot has really screwed the pooch - big time. With onboard and off board sensors at the pilots disposal the F-35 can remain beyond visual and if necessary egress when the tactical situation is unfavorable. A few things people don't realize, the F-35 can sustain M1.6 much longer than any fourth generation fighter. For some perspective, the ferry range of an F-35 on internal fuel is greater than a F-15 hanging three drop tanks.

Imagine you are being chased by Usain Bolt in his peak. You have a head start because you can see much further than Usain, Usain can sprint 100m in 9 seconds but he runs out of energy beyond 200m. With a head start, Usain will never catch you if you can sustain an average speed of 100m in 12 seconds for 2,000 meters.

The only time the F-35 will stay engaged "close in" is when it's defending the fleet at sea. But with its cooperative engagement capability any dog fighting that happens near friendly assets will not end well for the adversary. Not when the F-35 can attack the adversary using off board weapons from ships, drones or other fighters in the fleet from angles the enemy will never expect.

a pointless debate with a love struck Rafale fanboi - no thanks.
Lack of argument? As usual with an average US people, always thinking than only USA has the knowledge to built a premium weapon susyem....

F-35 = different league.
Indeed.
Over budget,
Under specifications,
Late,

Seems that LM lost its talent.
pub LM.png

Lack of argument?

Sorry busy day, my to do list is full. But I will engage a Rafale fanboi right after..

• I've eaten a can of the hottest peppers on earth
  • scrubbed all my skin off with the coarsest sand paper
  • ...gouged my own eyes out
  • go for a leisurely swim in vat of concentrated sulfuric acid.

Can you guys come back to the topic - namely Rafale in IAF service - and stop this stupid general discussion?

With onboard and off board sensors at the pilots disposal the F-35 can remain beyond visual and if necessary egress when the tactical situation is unfavorable.
And a rafale don't have these sensors ?

A few things people don't realize, the F-35 can sustain M1.6 much longer than any fourth generation fighter.
LOL. The rear frame loose pieces at mach 1.2...

Not enough Rafales in service to be discussion worthy I think.

35 Rafales is not enough to have a discussion? I agree that the IAF needs at least 35 more, ideally 54 more at least, but 35 is still enough to put 24 in the air at any time given 70% availability for the fleet.

LOL. The rear frame loose pieces at mach 1.2...
have you ever asked yourself what would happen to the Rafale if it could sustain Mach 1.6 for 30 minutes. Has Dassault? No because it can't ....not for more than six minutes.

Parasitic drag from sustained supersonic flight does degrade the tail surface.
But you guffaw at problem the Rafale is too performance deficient to ever encounter.
You see why I call you a love struck fanboi...

Winter noted that the issue was documented while the jet was flying at the very edge of its flight envelope. He also said the phenomenon only occurred once for both the B and C models, despite numerous attempts to replicate the conditions that caused the problem.

The problem is hard to reproduce and occurred only once on the B and C model.

Last edited:
That's under a two front scenario. And that's the minimum number available at any time. Don't believe the Rafale fleet will remain this small in the coming years.
Come on man, do you really think we are going to ink a fighter deal this year or even next year or even after that?

Back
Top Bottom