What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

"March 4 (Reuters) - France's Dassault Aviation said on Friday it expected to post lower sales this year than in 2021, as it reported a steep rise in annual earnings fuelled by higher deliveries of its warplanes.

The maker of Rafale fighter jets saw its operating income more than double to 527 million euros ($580.33 million) from 261 million in 2020, while net sales climbed to 7.23 billion euros from 5.49 billion the previous year."

============================

"France “substantially” increased its exports of arms in the 2017-2021 period and is now the third biggest exporter of weaponry in the world, a report published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri) shows.

In this four-year period, arms exports by France made up 11% of total global arms exports, up from 6% in the previous four-year period (2012-2016), meaning it overtakes China as the third biggest exporter.

Overall, France has increased its arms exports by 59% in the past 10 years, the most of any country in this time period.

It remains behind the US and Russia as the biggest exporters, who in the 2017-2021 period supplied 39% and 19% of the global arms exports respectively.

China is now the fourth biggest exporter of arms, and Germany is fifth. "

=========================================
PSX 10.jpg

"March 4 (Reuters) - France's Dassault Aviation said on Friday it expected to post lower sales this year than in 2021, as it reported a steep rise in annual earnings fuelled by higher deliveries of its warplanes.

It almost doesn't make any sense!? If their earnings are the highest they've ever been in the past year, and they just signed the mega deal with the UAE for 80 F4 Rafales, Egypt's order for 30 F3R Rafales that they would be having an even bigger year coming up!? Not sure where the logic is in their thinking.

It almost doesn't make any sense!? If their earnings are the highest they've ever been in the past year, and they just signed the mega deal with the UAE for 80 F4 Rafales, Egypt's order for 30 F3R Rafales that they would be having an even bigger year coming up!? Not sure where the logic is in their thinking.
Not an economist by any means but probably increased supplier costs, and increased labor costs vis a vis cov-19, to name a couple?

Not an economist by any means but probably increased supplier costs, and increased labor costs vis a vis cov-19, to name a couple?

Less earnings and the valid points you made means they're production will decrease. So, if they originally said they could up their production from 1 fighter a month to 3, then that most likely will drop back down also. Damn Covid really screwed the whole world over.

Make in India IAF's focus for next mega fighter deal

The Indian Air Force is likely to take the the 'Buy Global Make in India' initiative route for its next mega-deal for fighter aircraft.

In the 114 multi-role fighter aircraft (MRFA) programme, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is working towards manufacturing 114 planes within the country under the Buy Global Make in India route.

“Work is already going on the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas and the 5th Generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft project. The 114 MRFA project would also be required by the IAF to maintain an edge over both the northern and western adversaries. We would prefer to go for the ‘Buy Global Make in India’ route, which is preferred by the vendors who are also expected to take part in the programme,” defence sources told India Today.
An official said, “The two squadrons of the Rafale combat aircraft were fully functional with 35 aircraft which have already arrived from France and only one plane is left for delivery.” Sources said the IAF would certainly require a capability that is being provided by Rafale and more planes would be required as the two squadrons had only met the emergency requirements of the force.

There is at least 3 years between the order (first payment in fact) and the first delivery... in the mean time you may have to reduce the production tempo because you can't store a Rafale (and they are all customer fitted)

Dassault will have to set up an Rafale assembly line in India, not just for IAF but for their other export orders as well
I think it is the plan.
I know from the son of a friend of mine working in Dassault purchase office that Dassault asked the suppliers to move to 4,5 / 5 plane per month. The french line at max can assemble 3 jets/month. The remaining is, for me, for a possible future indian line... for Indian needs, and maybe Indonesia ?

Last edited:
I think it is the plan.
I know from the sun of a friend of mine working in Dassault purchase office that Dassault asked the suppliers to move to 4,( / 5 plane per month. The french line at max can assemble 3 jets/month. The remaining is, for me, for a possible future indian line... for Indian needs, and maybe Indonesia ?

Thanks for this insider info :D

A news from Dassault : The first payment for the 80 UAE Rafale deal was made some days ago. The contract is now effective.

There is at least 3 years between the order (first payment in fact) and the first delivery...

I understand now. I guess it also depends on how the payment schedule is structured. The first payment is like a deposit but what is the percentage of that first payment in relation to the entire amount. A country like the UAE is most likely not bankrolling this acquisition unlike Egypt, so it can pay a larger amount up front if it wants to. It just depends on the structure of the payments.

You wouldn't happen to know via a French source if the 30 Egyptian Rafales are F3Rs or F4s? Having a friendly debate with a good friend of mine who says they're F4s while the timing and news that we have so far suggests they're F3Rs. We're also hoping that they're right about the Meteors being included with this batch. Any idea?

Back
Top Bottom