What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

Last month I said that RAFALE deal would be announced in 3 weeks.

@BON PLAN when I reconfirmed last week that the deal would be announced in a week you were wondering about my sources and said that price negotiations were still on. We both should be happy that I was correct.:D

Last edited:
Rafale jets: Negotiations between India and France over landmark deal in 'final stages'
The negotiations over the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets have enered the "final stages" as both India and France have managed to narrow down their differences over the pricing.

Government sources said that the deal has not been concluded yet but it is in "final stages".

The development came nearly four months after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande signed a memorandum of agreement (MoU) to purchase 36 Rafale combat jets.

A Rafale jet. Image courtesy: WikiCommons

The Indian side has been negotiating hard to bring down the price of the Rafale deal.

Sources said the price for 36 Rafales, as per the UPA tender, keeping the cost escalation and dollar rate in mind, comes to a little over Rs 65,000 crore. This includes the cost involved in making changes India has sought in the aircraft, including Israeli helmet mounted display and some specific weaponry, among others.

"The effort is to bring down the price to less than Euros 8 billion (Rs 59,000 crore)," the sources said.

Sources said the French have more or less agreed to Indian terms.

The expectation is that the final deal will be clinched by May-end.

The deal comes with the clause of delivering 50 per cent offsets, creating business worth at least 3 billion Euros for smaller Indian companies and creating thousands of new jobs in India through the offsets.

In fact, the toughest phase in the negotiations that began in July 2015 - three months after Modi announced in Paris India's plan to purchase 36 Rafale jets - was to get the French to agree to 50 per cent offsets in the deal.

Initially, Dassault Aviation was willing to agree to reinvest only 30 per cent of the value of its contract in Indian entities to meet the offset obligations.

The French side finally agreed to invest 50 per cent of the value following a phone conversation between Modi and Hollande late last year.

The commercial negotiations, as in the pricing of the planes, equipment and other issues, actually began only in mid-January this year.

Under the proposed deal, French companies apart from Dassault Aviation, will provide several aeronautics, electronics and micro-electronics technologies to comply with the offset obligation.

Companies like Safran and Thales will join Dassault in providing state-of-art technologies in stealth, radar, thrust vectoring for missiles and materials for electronics and micro-electronics.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/rafa...er-landmark-deal-in-final-stages-2732136.html

Finally, A Deal. India To Buy 36 Rafale Jets For $8.8 Billion
All India | Reported by Sudhi Ranjan Sen | Updated: April 15, 2016 20:52 IST
rafale-fighter-jet-650_650x400_41453623449.jpg

The first Rafale fighter jets will take at least 18 months to arrive in India

NEW DELHI:
HIGHLIGHTS
  1. France had asked for $12 billion
  2. First planes will take at least 18 months to deliver
  3. French firms to invest $3billion in India in technology transfer

India's much-negotiated deal with France for 36 fighter jets is final - it will buy the French-made Rafale planes for 8.8 billion dollars, said sources to NDTV. The agreement is to be signed within three weeks and it will take at least 18 months for India to get the first lot of aircraft.

France initially sought nearly 12 billion dollars for the sale of 36 fighters complete with weapon systems. India has closed the deal nearly 3 billion dollars below France's asking price.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to Paris last year confirmed India's order of 36 read-to-fly jets. Before that, the Defence Ministry had sanctioned the purchase of 120 planes, but the deal was scaled down dramatically after both sides were unable for years to agree on the unit price and the assembling of the planes in India.

The Rafales are made by manufacturer Dassault Aviation. During PM Modi's visit, the countries agreed that the deal would be handled between their governments.

The Air Force has stressed it needs to start replacing its ageing jet fleet from 2017 to effectively check the capabilities of Pakistan and China.

rafale_650x400_71452772823.jpg

The Rafale fighter is manufactured by Dassault Aviation

As the negotiations stretched - and a deal was not reached during French President Francois Hollande's visit to India in January, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said he is "a tough negotiator" and needed time to ensure a good bargain. The Air Force has repeatedly been asking for its ageing warplane fleet to be urgently modernised.
Sources say that as part of the government's push to develop and support military manufacturing at home, in exchange for selling India off-the-shelf Rafales, French companies including Dassault will have to invest three billion dollars in India to help firms here with stealth-capability and radar technologies. France had initially agreed to a 30 per cent offset obligation to be invested in India, while India had sought a minimum of 50 per cent. France has now agreed for 50 per cent offset obligation.

dassault-rafale-650-best-shot_650x400_71452768120.jpg

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/rafa...ndia-and-france-for-7-8-billion-euros-1395958

@PARIKRAMA
Do you have any specific information about Meteor AAM in the deal?

Also it was touted that GIAT will form a JV with Indian companies to make guns, canons, etc. Anything about that?

India to buy 36 Rafale aircraft from France for 9 billion euros: report
New Delhi: India and France have arrived at an agreement on the price of 36 Rafale fighter aircraft that Asia’s third largest economy is to buy at an estimated cost of almost €9 billion, NDTV news channel reported on Friday.

The induction of the aircraft is expected to add much-needed punch to India’s air power.

The agreement is to be signed within three weeks and it will take at least 18 months for India to get the first lot of aircraft, the news channel reported.

When contacted, a person in the defence ministry familiar with the development said discussions were still going on and no deal had been finalised as yet. Spokespersons at the French embassy in New Delhi were unavailable for comment.

According to the NDTV report, France had put a price tag of €12 billion on the 36 fighter aircraft, complete with weapon systems.

The deal, if it comes through, is expected to add to India’s fast depleting Indian Air Force (IAF) squadron strength. Senior IAF officials are on record saying that India’s fighter squadrons are not equipped to deal with a two-front war if challenged to do so. India would need 42-25 squadrons to fight a two-front war while its current strength was about 30 squadrons.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to Paris last year confirmed India’s order of 36 read-to-fly jets manufactured by Dassault Aviation SA.

Before that, the defence ministry had sanctioned the purchase of 120 medium range multi-role aircraft, but the deal was scaled down dramatically after both sides were unable to agree—for years—on the price of aircraft and the assembling of the planes in India.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/7Z...le-aircraft-from-France-for-9-billion-eu.html

In landmark defence deal, India, France finalise Rafale deal at €7.8 bn
In a breakthrough defence deal that has come after protracted negotiations, India and France have finalised purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets.

This is a €7.8 billion deal between the country, one which was mentioned during French President Francois Hollande's visit to India. In January this year, a joint statement between Hollande and Modi had referred to the 'conclusion' of the Rafale fighter aircrafts in flyaway condition, 'except for some financial issues.

India will buy 36 Rafale jets for €7.8 billion, or nearly Rs 59,000 crore, according to an NDTV report. The jets have been manufactured by Dassault Aviation.

A Rafale jet. Image courtesy: WikiCommons

In February, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar had said in an interview that the price of the Rafale jets is a problem, but that all other issues have been resolved.

"If I am buying something, I cannot hurry on the price, agreement also does not limit the time frame," he had said.

India signed an inter-governmental pact with France to buy 36 Rafale fighters but the price negotiations had held up the deal.

The deal would includes two types of missiles and bombs, training of pilots and base facilities for the planes.

During Hollande's visit to India, a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed for the purchase of the Rafale jets. The French President had said that the financial issues would be ironed out with time.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/in-l...lise-rafale-deal-at-7-8-bn-euros-2732136.html

Finally, A Deal. India To Buy 36 Rafale Jets For $8.8 Billion
All India | Reported by Sudhi Ranjan Sen | Updated: April 15, 2016 20:52 IST
rafale-fighter-jet-650_650x400_41453623449.jpg

The first Rafale fighter jets will take at least 18 months to arrive in India

NEW DELHI:
HIGHLIGHTS
  1. France had asked for $12 billion
  2. First planes will take at least 18 months to deliver
  3. French firms to invest $3billion in India in technology transfer

India's much-negotiated deal with France for 36 fighter jets is final - it will buy the French-made Rafale planes for 8.8 billion dollars, said sources to NDTV. The agreement is to be signed within three weeks and it will take at least 18 months for India to get the first lot of aircraft.

France initially sought nearly 12 billion dollars for the sale of 36 fighters complete with weapon systems. India has closed the deal nearly 3 billion dollars below France's asking price.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to Paris last year confirmed India's order of 36 read-to-fly jets. Before that, the Defence Ministry had sanctioned the purchase of 120 planes, but the deal was scaled down dramatically after both sides were unable for years to agree on the unit price and the assembling of the planes in India.

The Rafales are made by manufacturer Dassault Aviation. During PM Modi's visit, the countries agreed that the deal would be handled between their governments.

The Air Force has stressed it needs to start replacing its ageing jet fleet from 2017 to effectively check the capabilities of Pakistan and China.

rafale_650x400_71452772823.jpg

The Rafale fighter is manufactured by Dassault Aviation

As the negotiations stretched - and a deal was not reached during French President Francois Hollande's visit to India in January, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said he is "a tough negotiator" and needed time to ensure a good bargain. The Air Force has repeatedly been asking for its ageing warplane fleet to be urgently modernised.
Sources say that as part of the government's push to develop and support military manufacturing at home, in exchange for selling India off-the-shelf Rafales, French companies including Dassault will have to invest three billion dollars in India to help firms here with stealth-capability and radar technologies. France had initially agreed to a 30 per cent offset obligation to be invested in India, while India had sought a minimum of 50 per cent. France has now agreed for 50 per cent offset obligation.

dassault-rafale-650-best-shot_650x400_71452768120.jpg

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/rafa...ndia-and-france-for-7-8-billion-euros-1395958
i will wait till govt says anything ! to many smoke and mirror in this case!

Nah, it requires a certain amount of caliber to be an arms dealer. I'll just stick with "Ohh look at the prueeetty plane. I'm glad my country has bought it. Now I can go to pakistani forum and brag about it to the pakistanis, while I just close my nose with a handkerchief when I pass by the slum on my way to college tomorrow" type.
and not buying Rafale will improve the condition of Slums in some alternate universe !

Are you effing kidding me????? I would any day take zero Rafales for a peaceful and friendly neighbourhood.

The resources we spend on defence is out of necessity without the need they provide marginal utility.
peaceful and friendly neighborhood. is utopia .. Rafale is reality.

i will wait till govt says anything ! to many smoke and mirror in this case!

If this is true then MoD should be congratulated for its negotiation skills for bring down from $12 Billion to $8.8 Billion.

Further will MoD pursue with F-18s & F-16s offer ?

base price was initially Euro 1.4 Bn but after much haggling it has been reduced to Euro 1.1 Bn..

Support package basically contains everything.. what could be further broken down in direct and indirect costs and technology cost...

modifications have come down a bit.. primarily the NG version of missiles are not ready... of course a part of support package cost built in has 2 active component costs
1. RBE 2 AESA partial codes
2. Spectra + upgrade partial codes.
3. Few other items codes

all are partial codes implying India can add and customize but i dont think we can transfer and copy to other jets except one specific program AMCA where cooperation officially will be declared for specific technology help.

This actually allows us to integrate the indian weapon systems and later test+certify it...

Even though we like MICA+meteor combo we may end up with MICA+Astra and even a possibility of Derby+Derby ER+ AstraMk2 is there..

India is negotiating with rafael industries to locally make Derby owing to the fact that Derby,python and Derby ER will become mainstay of LCA fleet which is bound to reach 300 jets.. so wont be surprised if they like to use the same in Rafales as well over time..

The brahmos original plan of mounting is now taken over by 42 dedicated Su30 MkI.. the NG Brahmos is 5-7 years away.. so when it comes it will be integrated..

Thus the customization part cost came down partially with technology codes payment and doing certain customization later when available

the price of jets+weapons is more or less fixed and is a marked improvement from earlier $93 mn to now $85 Mn or Euro 70-75 Mn

@PARIKRAMA
Bro you mentioned 300 LCA will be built does this include Indian Navy as well? This is the 1st time I'm hearing a number of 300. What will it include?

Also.....90 Rafales will be built in India, does the contract have an option of 45+ jets as a follow-on order?

If this is true then MoD should be congratulated for its negotiation skills for bring down from $12 Billion to $8.8 Billion.

There's no need for that now. Next step is discussion on manufacturing rest of the aircrafts in India.

Hold on there cowboy. Lets first wait for it to be signed and also see what the 8.8 billion exactly covers. My feeling is that certain things are not covered compared to what the 12 billion compared.

Also the main discussion is in the main rafale thread. You may find more useful info there too for this latest news.

I dont think So u already looking 12 billions here not any time soon .

Back
Top Bottom