What's new

Dar gives go-ahead to Saylani, other charities to help raise $2bn from overseas Pakistanis

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Dar gives go-ahead to Saylani, other charities to help raise $2bn from overseas Pakistanis

• Charity organisations have reportedly proposed help in raising funds to alleviate Pakistan's economic concerns
Bilal Hussain Published February 2, 2023

Whatsapp

Comments

Follow us
KARACHI: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar on Thursday gave his green signal to a reported plan by charitable organisations to help raise around $2 billion from overseas Pakistanis as the country’s economy battles challenges on the foreign exchange front.
At the National Islamic Economic Forum’s (NIEF) ‘Defining a roadmap for Islamization of Pakistan’s economy’ in Karachi, Dar advised the group of charity organisations to meet with officials of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) to finalise the mechanism for the proposed fund-raising, which is planned to be “interest-free” for a five-year period.

His statement came after Saylani Welfare Trust and other organisations offered to help raise $2 billion from overseas Pakistanis, a move aimed at dealing with the current economic crisis and a focus on the issue of non-opening of letters of credit (LCs) amid dollar shortage.

Reminds me of that Churchill speech, where he mentoned if the Island were to fall, the colonies would take on the fight. Time for Overseas dudes to save the mother land :)
1675462198863.gif

Overseas Pakistanis. Adios MF’s.

Boycott PDM and all these charities involved in trying to take money
from overseas Pakistanis.

• Charity organisations have reportedly proposed help in raising funds to alleviate Pakistan's economic concerns
Bilal Hussain Published February 2, 2023
Whatsapp
Comments

Follow us
KARACHI: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar on Thursday gave his green signal to a reported plan by charitable organisations to help raise around $2 billion from overseas Pakistanis as the country’s economy battles challenges on the foreign exchange front.
At the National Islamic Economic Forum’s (NIEF) ‘Defining a roadmap for Islamization of Pakistan’s economy’ in Karachi, Dar advised the group of charity organisations to meet with officials of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) to finalise the mechanism for the proposed fund-raising, which is planned to be “interest-free” for a five-year period.

His statement came after Saylani Welfare Trust and other organisations offered to help raise $2 billion from overseas Pakistanis, a move aimed at dealing with the current economic crisis and a focus on the issue of non-opening of letters of credit (LCs) amid dollar shortage.

I would be surprised if this haraami corrupt imported government gets even $2 from overseas Pakistani... Forget $2 Billion.

Galiyaan bhi ye PDM/ISI propaganda types hamein hi den. Aur dosre hi jumle me hum se paise mangen?

Aur vote ka right bhi na den?

While my US citizenship allows me to vote online no matter where I am in the world. Or through mail as well.

We Pakistanis are forcefully kept in middle ages by these backward, idiotic generals, politicians, judges, moguls/mafia. So these people can keep skimming the cream from the top while we are repressed eternally.

I guess things have changed over the past 10 months now.

Until couple of years ago even Senior Moderators on PDF turning up their noses to remittances from overseas Pakistanis. The quote that I remember from a Senior Moderator is "So thanks but no thanks. We don't need you".

We're off to a lovely start here.

Is that a favor on us? Do you wish to be thanked or perhaps awarded a medal? If that's so then please, keep your money.

I wonder where people who loot our nation go. I think airports are involved.

That's a high horse to be on. That's not how economies work, my friend and the remittances that have flowed are a complicated matter because the economic connections that we've expereinced are multifaceted, for instance, much of the money that flows back to us is from areas where workers are not dual citizens, that's the issue. Secondly, this is a matter for those who are in the 'ruling' class, even here, locally, they seem to enjoy an unholy leverage without dual citizenry but with that the armour they have to abuse and run away is much more complicated. This isn't for the common man who's trying his best; it's for those who try to gain power and obviously we cannot know what's in their hearts the only protection we do have is of the law.

We've the same rule for joining the military service, dual citizens can apply but before joinning they've to be Pakistani citizens solely. Perhaps people in advisory roles can be dual citizens but office holders should be Pakistanis only as they're then subjected to our laws exclusively. The practice of it is another matter but once we've sorted out the papers can we progress on implementing the change.

Here you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Just a small rebuttal, it's not about being CIA & RAW agents but dual citizens are actually subjected to two sets of laws and can slip away to other countries more easily than those who've to go through a process. The people you're talking about have had their leaders indoctrinated and directed once they were away from their homeland getting education or living abroad. The foot soldier has never been our problem, we're well equipped to deal with them and the laws strengthen us to do so as well. It's the leadership peril where they have this layer of protection and a leeway where such events occur, please ask anyone who's worked in the field or read some balanced views on this. I think we should be going by what is really happening rather than what we want to think is happening, brother.

East Pakistan is a whole other chapter.

I think this is the one thing where I resonate what we feel, I mean us lowly locals, of course, we're not asking for any favors so don't expect us to 'thank' you. You don't ask for 'gratitude' from your equal or from your brother. If that's so, then please, by all means, don't help us. We're not asking for it. We'll figure it out, just like we're the only nation in the 21st century to have defeated a force that superpowers couldn't. If you think this is up for debate, then by all means, come with your points. I am a veteran of this war and I would love to put you in your place because we've won this out of blood that we have paid. No one gets to run away from this.

So thanks but no thanks. We don't need you.

I guess things have changed over the past 10 months now.

Until couple of years ago even Senior Moderators on PDF turning up their noses to remittances from overseas Pakistanis. The quote that I remember from a Senior Moderator is "So thanks but no thanks. We don't need you".
So is this supposed to be an attack on me? This response is for a particular post and in a specific context. First and foremost, context is always important.
Secondly, my point and it's an extremely important one: we have to stop our feudalistic mentality that prevades every facet of the Pakistani mind. Pakistanis who are sending money from outside are doing it to support their families, are they not? They think they belong to this land too, do they not? I see them no different than I see my fellow countrymen, should I not? I don't get this constant sense of misplaced superiority. Economics is much more than status and we need to change that mindset. That's what my answer was for. I think if anyone feels otherwise that they're 'better' or more privileged than someone who earns in rupees and therefore has more power is a part of the problem. We need to reboot our brains. Most of our national mindset is to buy properties and freeze money somehow in some way. From that place we will always end up here again and again. So in order to learn, if a fall is to come then let it come. Why be alive on a ventilator?
Lastly, it's very easy to see me as an enemy. We are in a climate where we are ready to jump the gun, brother. However, I don't think that does anything productive. So if you found my response to be personally hurtful, please know that that's never my intent. But there are some conversations we need to have. The point in history we are in isn't here because of something new. We were heading down this route. There are some conversations we need to have. I think exonomics is one of them. A very important one. Let's have it and have it in good spirits. I hope it comes across. The entire world is facing multiple crises and I think this is the time where we cannot afford to relay on charged conversations, history teaches us that humanity is always stronger when we work together.
Regards and peace, brother.

Back
Top Bottom