What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

The notice mentioned the launch of civilian ship today but there is no mention of CV-XX/003.

We will know in a few days' time, if there is photo coming out.

That'S for sure there no mention of 003, but if this civil vessel is indeed the one occupying dry dock no. 4 it will be interesting to see if they start with the carrier construction or if yet another civil project will be next... but yes, we'll see in a few days.

And so it begins:

As it seems this is the first confirmed image of one of the Type 003 aircraft carrier's mega-modules in dry dock no. 4 at the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai. (image via @微博铁幕君SSS at weibo)
PLN Type 003 carrier - 20200701 in dry dock no. 4.jpg

And so it begins:

As it seems this is the first confirmed image of one of the Type 003 aircraft carrier's mega-modules in dry dock no. 4 at the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai. (image via @微博铁幕君SSS at weibo)
View attachment 646699
What level of completion do you think the 003 is using the 002 construction as a reference? I'm estimating around mid-2015 level of 002 completion for the current 003.

What level of completion do you think the 003 is using the 002 construction as a reference? I'm estimating around mid-2015 level of 002 completion for the current 003.

My guess is 003 will be able to be launched around middle of next year since most modules have been fabricated, and as such the main works now is to assemble the modules by welding and installation of machinery. I am expecting some fast pace work from now onwards.

My guess is 003 will be able to be launched around middle of next year since most modules have been fabricated, and as such the main works now is to assemble the modules by welding and installation of machinery. I am expecting some fast pace work from now onwards.

The launch date of June 28th 2021 sounds like a reasonable estimation, since it will be approaching the 100th anniversary of the CPC.

Then the sea trial is expected to be around Aug-Sept 2022, and the commission ceremony to be held in December 26th 2023.

Eventually, the ship should be combat ready by the end of 2024 or early 2025.

What nuclear reactor do you envision for the 003 carrier then?

ACP100

I think I have mentioned this before.

It is a quite mature technology, and less risky than to develop a whole new steam boiler system that powers a ship that outweighs the Kitty Hawk class by 20,000 metric tons.

ACP100

I think I have mentioned this before.

It is a quite mature technology, and less risky than to develop a whole new steam boiler system that powers a ship that outweighs the Kitty Hawk class by 20,000 metric tons.
Btw, the current prevailing, even overwhelming opinion is the 003 will still be a CV instead of a CVN. It applies in this forum, and it's even more tilted in the neighbour one, SDF. Thus have no wonder that most people will have heavy scepticism on your CVN notion!

I choose to let it be an opened idea, will only cease to do that when there is undeniable fact about the actual decision (be made known to the public). Nonetheless I appreciate your firmness to voice differently, even though it may be a lone voice in the desert. Time will reveal, and it won't be long, just in matter of months! :coffee:

Btw, the current prevailing, even overwhelming opinion is the 003 will still be a CV instead of a CVN. It applies in this forum, and it's even more tilted in the neighbour one, SDF. Thus have no wonder that most people will have heavy scepticism on your CVN notion!

I choose to let it be an opened idea, will only cease to do that when there is undeniable fact about the actual decision (be made known to the public). Nonetheless I appreciate your firmness to voice differently, even though it may be a lone voice in the desert. Time will reveal, and it won't be long, just in matter of months! :coffee:
Yes but ChineseTiger also said the 003 will use a EM catapult even at a time when everyone was claiming a steam catapult. It is a wait and see game ... never exclude anything 100%!

I don't care about the opinions of the others.

I have my own critical thinking and to perceive what type of assessment is more logical and reasonable.

Yes but ChineseTiger also said the 003 will use a EM catapult even at a time when everyone was claiming a steam catapult. It is a wait and see game ... never exclude anything 100%!

In order to power the Type 003, they would need to re-design a brand new steam boiler system that would be much more time consuming than the nuclear powered design.

China now has very few ships that use the steam boilers. Except the Type 001/002, all destroyers that use the steam boilers are all outdated, and the continuation of the same class of ships will not be built anymore.

To re-design a brand new steam boiler system just for 1-2 carriers will be a nightmare for the maintenance, and the cost can never be covered. It is very unlikely for the PLAN to follow that path.

Back
Top Bottom