What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

I think what he means is it will take 10years for CN to get a CV equalling Ford.
10 YEARS is pretty long in today's world... so all I can reasonably say is just wait and see :D :P who can see through such period??? BUT by such logic [supposed there's any] China will still lag behind in many tech fields such as aerospace, HSR, computing powers, green energy etc etc... but the reality is China does not take that long to catch up! I realize it's pretty hard for some folks to truly recognize China's speed in achieving tech advancement, in particular the military tech, which is honestly rather hard to prove... aside from its secrecy nature, who will clash to prove anything? :P

10 YEARS is pretty long in today's world... so all I can reasonably say is just wait and see :D :P who can see through such period??? BUT by such logic [supposed there's any] China will still lag behind in many tech fields such as aerospace, HSR, computing powers, green energy etc etc... but the reality is China does not take that long to catch up! I realize it's pretty hard for some folks to truly recognize China's speed in achieving tech advancement, in particular the military tech, which is honestly rather hard to prove... aside from its secrecy nature, who will clash to prove anything? :P
When other people is resting, Chinese is working .
We deserve these achievements .

Research and Manufacturing are on 2 separated Time Dimensions...

Research and Manufacturing are on 2 separated Time Dimensions...
Actually, these techs related to CV are started 20 years ago .
For instance, China started to do research on EMLS as soon as US propose such a concept.
Because of foresight and layout in advance , China could make such a progress in military field.

Type 002 CV
  1. Three Steam Catapults to be applied
  2. Displacement is approximately 1.4 times the corresponding volume of Liaoning CV-16 (packed with more than 80,000 tons)
  3. The Length is longer than Liaoning's one, but less than Kitty Hawk, yet width is larger than Kitty Hawk about 7 to 8 meters
  4. May have the deployment of 36 carrier-based aircraft
  5. "Construction" started in Shanghai JNCX at the end of 2016 [Note: my guess, the construction here means the steel cutting as mentioned elsewhere too - corrected Deino :D]
CgineJeUYAE0Zar.jpg

An RT by @OedoSoldier 2017.04.26

More at CN: 有关第一艘完全自研航母形态的部分研判

Amazingly, this is not the end but the [China's] aircraft carrier will be launched one after the other. Next China will construct two catapulted Type 002 aircraft carriers with normal power, followed by Type 003 of nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.
CtvfRveUsAAyTnN.jpg

CtvfRvgUMAAcXxL.jpg

Prediction on Type 002 CV: 4×50,000 hp steam turbines, displacement of 70 kilotons.
Island size is reduced by 1/4 to 1/3 compared to Type 001A, comes with three steam catapults (@xinfengcao)

Last edited:
Type 002 CV
Construction started in Shanghai JNCX at the end of 2016

But that's the question: From all it seems this "construction start" was the cutting of first steel - an event that took place for the 001A in August 2013 - and not "lay-down" - what for 001A occurred in August March 2015 - so that given a similar time to construct we will probably see the first parts of 002 in a dock - aka after lay-down - only in about 1.5 years or mid-2018 at best.

Deino

By the way I won't mind if it will look like this... :smitten:

PLN CV-002 CG 20170427.jpg

But that's the question: From all it seems this "construction start" was the cutting of first steel - an event that took place for the 001A in August 2013 - and not "lay-down" - what for 001A occurred in August March 2015 - so that given a similar time to construct we will probably see the first parts of 002 in a dock - aka after lay-down - only in about 1.5 years or mid-2018 at best.

Deino

By the way I won't mind if it will look like this... :smitten:

View attachment 393292

I believe that 002A will be another research vessal as Liaoning for many years to come after being built because manage a catapult carrier is not quite the same as ski jump carrier even there is a lot of similarity. it will take necessary time to learn all operation procedures. Especially when we will introduce AWAC and other type of aircrafts.

Last edited:
I believe that 002A will be another research vessal as Liaoning for many years to come after being built because manage a catapult carrier is not quite the same as ski jump carrier even there is a lot of similarity. it will take necessary time to learn all operation procedures. Especially when we will introduce AWAC and other type of aircrafts.
China has its plans .
These technplogy about calapults and AWAC has been underway for many years .
The developing precedure of millitary armament is that when one generation enter service ,next generation's underway, and next-next generation's on advanced research .

Could you please explain me what these colors mean? I'm ignorant :undecided:
No idea, the pic sees its broad light with no legend

Latest estimation for the Type 002 carrier: 3 Steam Cats, Displacement about 80kt, a bit longer than CV-16 but less the Kitty Hawk... [though said to have a larger width, 7-8 meter wider than Kitty] :D

According to what I can gather so far from "insiders" on Chinese forums, 002 will be conventional powered. It will have 3 steam catapults with a displacement of about 60,000 metric tons (75,000 ton full load). I doubt it will be 80,000 tons since it's going to be smaller than Kitty Hawk class.

003 will probably be a nuclear powered carrier similar in size to USS Enterprise (~90,000 ton range) with EMALS.

Last edited:
According to what I can gather so far from "insiders" on Chinese forums, 002 will be conventional powered. It will have 3 steam catapults with a displacement of about 60,000 metric tons (75,000 ton full load). I doubt it will be 80,000 tons since it's going to be smaller than Kitty Hawk class.

003 will probably be a nuclear powered carrier similar in size to USS Enterprise (~90,000 ton range) with EMALS.
That's Chinese style.

According to POP3, the Type 002 will be 70,000 tonnes, while the Type 003 will be 100,000+ tonnes.

Back
Top Bottom