What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

Around 95000 tonnes, similar to CVN-65 and CVN-68.

That’s a huge leap from the previous design, and with the Type 004 construction also underway; in a few short years, if the Type 004 or Type 005 is nuclear powered, we may see the design that will carry the PLAN for at least the next 30-50 years come into focus soon, just like the Nimitz class has been doing for the last 50 years.

That’s a huge leap from the previous design, and with the Type 004 construction also underway; in a few short years, if the Type 004 or Type 005 is nuclear powered, we may see the design that will carry the PLAN for at least the next 30-50 years come into focus soon, just like the Nimitz class has been doing for the last 50 years.

Maybe this one is already a CVN.

Since its funnels are most likely the auxiliary power source to backup the ship's electric consumption and requirement.

In comparison, the Ford class is already powered by two very powerful A1B reactors, but it still cannot meet the demand of its EMALS.

Maybe China chooses the gas turbines as the extra backup power source for the EMALS.

Maybe this one is already a CVN.

Since its funnels are most likely the auxiliary power source to backup the ship's electric consumption and requirement.

Since the Ford class is already powered by two very powerful A1B reactors, but it still cannot meet the demand of its EMALS.

Maybe China chooses the gas turbine as the alternative backup power source for the EMALS.

But to match the Ford class China would need two 700MW reactors on this ship. Any indication China has such powerful naval reactors available or are we possibly seeing another breakthrough being revealed with this ship design.

I Guess we will be able to tell once the ship is launched and we see how much smoke comes out of the smoke stack.

But to match the Ford class China would need two 700MW reactors on this ship. Any indication China has such powerful naval reactors available or are we possibly seeing another breakthrough being revealed with this ship design.

I Guess we will be able to tell once the ship is launched and we see how much smoke comes out of the smoke stack.

The thermal power of the Linglong 1 reactor is around 385 MW, so the Type 003 is likely to be powered by 4 X 385 MW Linglong 1 reactors compared to the 2 X 715 MW A1B reactors of the Ford class.

The HEU of the A1B reactor is around 93%, whereas the Linglong 1 reactor is no more than 50%.

China wants those reactors with lower enrichment which will be safer and easier for the RCOH.

The Type 003 is very likely to be a CONAG supercarrier.

Last edited:

Since when is 004 already under construction?

Getting ready to install deck-edge elevators?

1.jpg

Since when is 004 already under construction?
It was mentioned by another user in another thread that “construction has begun”.

Yeah, it wouldn’t make sense until the works out the bug with this design, but I guess I was referencing someone else’s post.

The progress of Typ003 is too slow. It shall be on water by end of this year.

Why again this negative tone? IMO there was no delay and the progress is also not too slow. No-one with a bit of understanding expected a launch already in 2021 and all reasonable estimates were pointing towards a date after May or June 2022. As such stop this only since you had unrealistic too high hopes .. everything's still fine!
It was mentioned by another user in another thread that “construction has begun”.

Yeah, it wouldn’t make sense until the works out the bug with this design, but I guess I was referencing someone else’s post.

But this is always based on Minnie Chan's stupid report published in the SCMP. In fact I don't exclude this option, but we have no proof for this and at least at the construction site no new carrier modules are under construction.

"He hehe" may be a logical assumption based on previous projects and rumours, however there is nothing yet confirmed and nothing seen at either Dalian or the construction site at Shanghai?! Or am I wrong?

"He hehe" may be a logical assumption based on previous projects and rumours, however there is nothing yet confirmed and nothing seen at either Dalian or the construction site at Shanghai?! Or am I wrong?
I am in a shanghai yard now and some of the technicians here are already getting recruited to Dalian for a 'carrier' project.

I am in a shanghai yard now and some of the technicians here are already getting recruited to Dalian for a 'carrier' project.
If this is true, that means the Jiangnan shipyard is all full. Dalian will do the next carrier. From another source that I heard, Jiangnan shipyard will start another 8x 055 later on this year. Don't know if it is true or not.

That would be in fact the first hint I would rate as reliable!

Thanks my friend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom