What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

In the battle time, there are always planes (fighters, AWACS, or even tankers) in the sky and they need to be recovered from time to time... And there are planes of the previous wave to be recovered too.
I think you are just pick on redundant . If recovery plane is require. The third launch pad cant launch aircraft. How long do u take to shift one aircraft across the runway pad?

This could be part of the island structure under fabrication in one of thhe mobile hall.
0 01.jpg

In the battle time, there are always planes (fighters, AWACS, or even tankers) in the sky and they need to be recovered from time to time... And there are planes of the previous wave to be recovered too.
If an aircraft is running short of fuel while the top deck of the aircraft carrier is not cleared of parked aircraft, a buddy refueling jet can be launched to fill up the empty tanks of the returning aircraft. Clearing parked aircraft from runway is not that time consuming.

I am sure there must be an SOP for emergency like this.

Also if the returning jets radio fuel shortage 5 to 10 minutes before reaching back, the buddy refuel jet would have ample time airbone and flying in circular orbit around the aircraft carrier.

Last edited:
So CVBG-18 will match Nimitz Super-Carrier size..Interesting :tup:

The Type 003 will weigh about 90,000 - 100,000 tonnes according to the most recent US analysis, and I am wondering that people still gonna believe it is not nuclear powered?

Remember how the US media loved to overhype the obsolete Type 002, but now stay totally silent about the Type 003?

When you are truly getting stronger than them, then they will stop overhyping you, and bashing you with full of insecurities.

The Type 003 will weigh about 90,000 - 100,000 tonnes according to the most recent US analysis, and I am wondering that people still gonna believe it is not nuclear powered?

Remember how the US media loved to overhype the obsolete Type 002, but now stay totally silent about the Type 003?

When you are truly getting stronger than them, then they will stop overhyping you, and bashing you with full of insecurities.

Is this design expected to be an intermediate design; to work out any design issues before and even larger Type 004? This could be were a redesign with 1 or 2 more elevators could be added.

Last edited:
Is this design expected to be an intermediate design; to work out any design issues before and even larger Type 004? This could be were a redesign with 1 or 2 more elevators could be added.
This is just an evolving design after the Liaoning and Shandong.

1. Size is substantially bigger than the earlier two, and be flat-top

2. Introducing the brand-new EMCAT

So, expect more changes in future, be it 004 or 005 or 006... we all have NO idea when next changes will be applied, whether or not 003 will have sibling or just stand alone. Time is the best teller. Be patient and watch calmly.

I think if Type 003 AC goes to nuclear, it's a bonus.

Even if her goes to Conventionally powered it will be more than enough. With EMALS & Nimitz size a.k.a Super Carrier. That's already a huge leap for China's AC Power Projection

Because China have Fast Supply Ships to handle that (Type 901 class)
images - 2021-06-05T102435.149.jpeg

And I believe, the first four of China's Aircraft Carrier will be focused to protect Western Pacific & Hindian Ocean region from cowboy. That's enough for any Conventionally powered AC

Beside Fast Supply Ship (Type 901) ready to deploy, China have Naval Base in Djibouti and also have many friendly countries that would be happy to have China's Carrier Battle Group refuelling in their ports (like Pakistan, Iran, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Kenya, Tanzania, Seychelles, etc).

But yes, I would be happier if Type 003 AC goes to nuclear

Last edited:

Even if her goes to Conventionally powered it will be more than enough.

Because China have Fast Supply Ships to handle that (Type 901class)
View attachment 750699

And I believe, the first four of China's Aircraft Carrier will be focused to protect Western Pacific & Hindian Ocean region from cowboy. That's enough for any Conventionally powered AC

Beside Fast Supply Ship (Type 901) ready to deploy, China have Naval Base in Djibouti and also have many friendly countries that would be happy to have China's Carrier Battle Group refuelling in their ports (like Pakistan, Iran, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Kenya, Tanzania, Seychelles, etc).

I don't think China will build nuclear powered ships. They are difficult to decommissioned and not needed for China's interest which is East China Sea, South China Sea, Yellow Sea.

I don't think China will build nuclear powered ships. They are difficult to decommissioned and not needed for China's interest which is East China Sea, South China Sea, Yellow Sea.

They already have many Nuclear powered ships (Submarines & Icebreaker) so it's not difficult for China to build Nuclear powered ships.

And for sure they will goes to Nuclear in Type 004 AC (CVN-20 and so on). That if they don't goes to Nuclear in this Type 003 AC [CV(N)-18 & 19]

Even if her goes to Conventionally powered it will be more than enough. With EMALS & Nimitz size a.k.a Super Carrier. That's already a huge leap for China's AC Power Projection

Because China have Fast Supply Ships to handle that (Type 901 class)
View attachment 750699

The conventional power for any aircraft carrier that weighs over 80,000 tonnes will be a liability, and the nuclear power is the only option.

Many people love to argue that the Kitty Hawk class will be an exception. However, none of the Kitty Hawk class ships had weighed over 80,000 metric tons.

Those sub 80,000 metric tons Kitty Hawk class carriers were really represented the maximum size for a conventional carrier.

I think the displacement of the Type 003 is somewhere between the CVN-72 and CVN-78.

So we can safely conclude that she is well within the range of the nuclear supercarriers.

The conventional power for any aircraft carrier that weighs over 80,000 tonnes will be a liability, and the nuclear power is the only option.

Kitty Hawk has more powerful propulsion than Nimitz, 280k shp vs 260k shp. Of course they also have different maximum speeds. Nuclear powered carriers only win on much less demands for re-fuel when long range cruise is needed, but lose quite big on battle readiness.

1622873648277.png

Close-Up Photo Shows China’s New Aircraft Carrier Rapidly Taking Shape

China's first truly indigenous carrier, which will be the third flattop for the People’s Liberation Army Navy, boasts massive capability enhancements.

By THOMAS NEWDICK | THE WAR ZONE, 04 JUNE 2021

Using this earlier imagery, some observers have extrapolated that the warship will likely have a displacement greater than the figure of 80,000-85,000 tons originally projected. This would bring it closer to the U.S. Navy’s own supercarriers, which have a displacement of around 100,000 tons.

Type-003-close-up.jpg

What’s more, the Type 003 design is expected to be equipped with an electromagnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS), rather than relying on the “ski jump” ramps used on the PLAN’s two in-service carriers, the Liaoning (Type 001) and Shandong (Type 002). The use of EMALS could potentially boost sortie-generation rate on the new carrier, despite it apparently not featuring additional aircraft elevators.

Introducing an EMALS is a significant technological challenge, one that has faced its fair share of problems in the United States [on the latest Gerald Ford class carrier, problematic until present day], but if perfected will allow the PLAN to operate larger and heavier carrier aircraft, such as fixed-wing airborne early warning (AEW) platforms, and to launch and recover existing J-15 multirole carrier fighters at heavier weights, with a significant increase in the number of sorties the carrier can generate. EMALS would also permit the carrier to launch lighter drones, a prospect that we have examined in detail in the past.

What’s clear, above all else, is the speed with which Beijing is developing its aircraft carrier capabilities. Progress on the Type 003 build has been impressive, despite the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Some reports predict the Type 003 could be launched next year, which would tally more or less with an unclassified February 2020 report from the Office of Naval Intelligence [ONI] anticipating that that the carrier could enter service in 2024.

While the Type 002 project was less ambitious, it’s still noteworthy that it was only around five years between laying the keel for the future Shandong and that vessel’s commissioning into service. Just as important as the speed at which this was achieved is the experience that will have been gained by the China’s shipbuilding industries that are now working on the Type 003 and which will surely build more carriers in the future, too.

Unconfirmed reports last year suggest that work on PLAN’s next carrier — the Type 004 — was due to start soon, possibly at Dalian Shipyard in Liaoning. There are persistent rumors that this vessel will be both larger than its predecessors and will be nuclear powered, but other assessments suggest it will utilize the Type 003 design. Ultimately, however, it seems likely that nuclear power will be the PLAN’s goal.

Western reports have frequently speculated that the PLAN may eventually build a force of six aircraft carriers. On the other hand, other observers claim that Beijing ultimately plans for “10 or more” carriers, which would clearly be a much longer-term ambition.

The introduction of catapults on the Type 003 also opens the door to embarking a fixed-wing AEW aircraft, a prototype of which is already under test, a fact initially confirmed by photos that appeared last summer. The twin-turboprop KJ-600 is analogous to the U.S. Navy’s E-2 Hawkeye and appears superficially similar. Once fielded aboard the Type 003, the KJ-600 promises to revolutionize the way the PLAN carrier air wing operates, providing long range surveillance against air, sea, and land targets as well as battle management and networking capabilities. The PLAN already has some experience with carrier-based AEW assets, in the form of the Z-18J, a derivative of the Z-18 heavy-lift helicopter with a retractable radar antenna attached to the rear ramp.

In its 2020 report to Congress on the Chinese military, the U.S. Department of Defense pointed to the Type 003 in particular as a major development within its planned multi-carrier force:

“China’s next generation of carriers will have greater endurance and a catapult system,” the report reads. “In particular, China’s aircraft carriers and planned follow-on carriers, once operational, will extend air defense coverage beyond the range of coastal and shipboard missile systems and will enable task group operations at increasingly longer ranges.”

(…)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom