What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

I must admit I'm surprised where images of the Type 003 carrier can be found, but Tik Tok was not a place I expected. 😳

Even if quite blurry it is so far the best image showing China's third aircraft carrier so close ...

(Image via TikTok/常来常往, however the original video has been deleted already)

1622701224745.png

1622701278355.png

Without the 3rd elevator the planes in the hangar have to cross the flight deck to use the 3rd catapult. That will cause trouble when receiving planes in a hurry.
Makes no sense. When u are using third launch pad. There is no way, the receiving area with arrestor hook can be used to recovered plane in emergency.

v0EEQ.jpg

Last edited:
I must admit I'm surprised where images of the Type 003 carrier can be found, but Tik Tok was not a place I expected. 😳

Even if quite blurry it is so far the best image showing China's third aircraft carrier so close ...

View attachment 750193

I surprise the body already painted ... at lease for 1st layer

Makes no sense. When u are using third launch pad. There is no way, the receiving area with arrestor hook can be used to recovered plane in emergency.

View attachment 750195

Before the actual launch, the planes need to be prepared.
To increase the size of an attack wave, which can be critical, the area after the 3rd catapult is important. It can accommodate at least three to four planes on Type 003.
One of the changes Shandong had over Liaoning is a new weapon elevator in that area such that the weapons don't have to be moved across the whole flight deck to get there.
Moving weapons is much easier compared to moving planes across the flight deck.
Then why not add an elevator for planes there?

In battle time, the deck operations are very complicated and almost a big mess. Launching, recovering, preparing, planes, weapons, etc etc, all at the same time. The efficiency is critical. And a 3rd elevator will definitely be a great help.

Last edited:
But in fact any complaints are useless and I'm sure, the PLAN had its reasons for this design ...

The reason might be structure strength and $$$. The cost is operation efficiency and redundancy. It's always a compromising, but I still think it's not a good choice. I read a few articles analyzing the deck and hangar operations efficiency. If taking the efficiency of having 4 elevators as 100, having 2 may be around 70, having 3 may be 90-95. I forgot the exact numbers, but the conclusion is that having the 4th elevator is probably not worthy but having the 3rd is necessary.

View attachment 750193
View attachment 750194

Leaker is lucky if he gets tea and unlucky if he gets locked up for a few months. Since this has been shared on foreign internet, I think the latter awaits him.

Before the actual launch, the planes need to be prepared.
To increase the size of an attack wave, which can be critical, the area after the 3rd catapult is important. It can accommodate at least three to four planes on Type 003.
One of the changes Shandong had over Liaoning is a new weapon elevator in that area such that the weapons don't have to be moved across the whole flight deck to get there.
Moving weapons is much easier compared to moving planes across the flight deck.
Then why not add an elevator for planes there?

In battle time, the deck operations are very complicated and almost a big mess. Launching, recovering, preparing, planes, weapons, etc etc, all at the same time. The efficiency is critical. And a 3rd elevator will definitely be a great help.
Before the actual launch, so what plane need to recover since no plane on skies? Moving plane across the recovered pad has no implication.

Finally, weapon elevator is different from aircraft elevator.

5e3257a324306a5099748512.jpeg

Before the actual launch, so what plane need to recover since no plane on skies? Moving plane across the recovered pad has no implication.

Finally, weapon elevator is different from aircraft elevator.

View attachment 750396

In the battle time, there are always planes (fighters, AWACS, or even tankers) in the sky and they need to be recovered from time to time... And there are planes of the previous wave to be recovered too.

Back
Top Bottom