What's new

CV-17 Shandong - Type 002 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

There she is, Sanya, Hainan island, South China Sea.

If this ship is commissioned in Hainan, shouldn't it be named PLANS Hainan?
View attachment 590130
Much agree! Now I also guess this 2nd carrier may much likely be named CNS Hainan.

We all know that this early carrier will be the small size one among China's growing carrier fleets. And the 002 will be part of the PLAN SSF. Based on these two considerations, the name of Hainan Province fits very well this new carrier.

If this ship is commissioned in Hainan, shouldn't it be named PLANS Hainan?

We all know that this early carrier will be the small size one among China's growing carrier fleets. And the 002 will be part of the PLAN SSF. Based on these two considerations, the name of Hainan Province fits very well this new carrier.

But, but if the naming criteria is based upon where the ship is commissioned or deployed, the inner land provinces with no coastal line will lose the chance for carrier naming forever!

Much agree! Now I also guess this 2nd carrier may much likely be named CNS Hainan.

There was already someone from last year predicted that the Type 002 will not be named after Shandong.

But, but if the naming criteria is based upon where the ship is commissioned or deployed, the inner land provinces with no coastal line will lose the chance for carrier naming forever!
Not really. Of course those hinterland provinces with no access to the seas that we know [although they have their own versions of seas (Chinese creativities), mostly the large lakes regarded as seas that I encountered in Yunnan, Inner Mongolia, Qinghai and I believe there are more] will get their fare chances to put their names on China's future carriers. How can the authority ever ignore those large and significant provinces like Xinjiang, Tibet, Sichuan in naming the large or super large carriers?

Now just imagine the psychological impact for the nation of China to witness the names of those vast provinces Xinjiang (4X the size of California), Tibet and Sichuan, and even Taiwan being put as the names of those large carriers? Hong Kong as well, but perhaps it's reserved till 2047 waiting the 50 years reunification :coffee:
They will be really awesome. :china:

I wish that I can witness that pivotal moment one by one.

#天耀中华

Last edited:
There is the Type 002 carrier at the Yulin Naval Base, Hainan.
(Image via by78/SDF)

PLN Type 002 carrier - 20191120 at Yulin Naval Base.jpg

work is in progress at the bow ski ramp of 002, it is located at the same place as where the pennant number 16 was painted for Liaoning.

View attachment 591263

Another blurred image, albeit closer than the one posted before suggest that the PLAN appear to be painting the pennant number on the flight deck.

Also at Twitter there are some posts, which suggest it has been numbered already and handover and commissioning will likely happen soon.

(Image via by78/SDF)

49116640946_389894bbaf_c.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom