What's new

COULD THE CASC CH-5 UAV BE AN OPTION FOR PAKISTAN?

The development of CH-5
2015/8/26
CH-5 made its maiden flight at an airport in northwestern China.
View attachment 482858
Source:http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2015-11/21/content_22506401.htm

2016/11/04 China had granted an export license for the CH-5 reconnaissance/combat drone.
Source:http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201611/04/WS5a2b89d9a310eefe3e9a106b.html

2017/7/14 The first mass-production CH-5 made its debut flight, in which it was airborne for more than 20 minutes, at an airport in Hebei province.
View attachment 482859
Source:http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-07/14/c_136444659.htm

2017/9 CH-5 had already completed performance flight testing and live-fire exercise, and entered into small-scale production.
View attachment 482860
View attachment 482863
Source:http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0926/c90000-9273955.html

2018/6/4
CH-5 made its test flight on the plateau.
View attachment 482864
View attachment 482861
View attachment 482862

-------------------
View attachment 482866 View attachment 482867 View attachment 482868 View attachment 482869
CH5 looks so awesome. On a side note, CASC should probably name the new plane as CH4 xyz as opposed to CH5 as the customers who have recently purchased CH4 may feel their plane is outdated given the high speed of the product release.:yahoo:

CH5 looks so awesome. On a side note, CASC should probably name the new plane as CH4 xyz as opposed to CH5 as the customers who have recently purchased CH4 may feel their plane is outdated given the high speed of the product release.:yahoo:

You are correct, but most CH-4 purchase countries are busy picking up the crashed wreckages.

But before the Chinese insult brigade comes after me, I will tell you the reason for this issue. The original design has aerodynamic problems, and has gone through many flight computer updates for stability, meanwhile, the US government lost a lot of drones operating in hot and heavy configuration. The Chinese developers took their "inspiration" from the US design, but have not have figured out the flight computer design evolution that the original designers have been through, after losing many, repeat, many MQ series birds. Any country who will chose these "inspired" designs will have to endure the same loss of airframe and attrition that the MQ family had to go through. This puts the CH/WL family as a concept demonstrator at best, and a platform in development, impressive feat nonetheless for China but far from being in the same category as the source fo the "inspiration" the MQ series birds by General Atomics. I personally think that it will put a lot of stress in any customer who takes up this design for their national MALE program, or takes technical assistance from people who themselves are yet to reach full maturity as the source designers.

I have spent my life working with the Chinese as they helped us through thick and thin. From FT-5, to F6, to F7, we saw and assisted the evolution of Chinese aviation using our exposure of the western aerospace industry, F104, and the F16. The result is the spectacular JF17, which has the valuable input of both the evolved Chinese aerospace industry and the experienced Pakistani fighter pilot.

Does this mean the Chinese drones are the answer for Pakistan? I have my serious doubts.

Last edited:
You are correct, but most CH-4 purchase countries are busy picking up the crashed wreckages.
Do you have any information about the crash of CH-4?
I just find that of CH-3:
W020150129492617854314.jpg

View attachment 483246

Almost all birds of a particular customer in the middle east are not flying due to CFIT or other air occourances. These things are not available on the internet.

View attachment 483246

What you post of above is why the Pakistani CH-3 program adopted by NESCOM, renamed Burraq 1, never took off or was accepted by any reasonable decision maker. Maybe the evolution of Burraq platform to Burraq 2 will be considered by the PA.

Almost all birds of a particular customer in the middle east are not flying due to CFIT or other air occourances. These things are not available on the internet.
But how do you know that most CH-4 purchase countries are busy picking up the crashed wreckages?
Do you have any special channels?

But how do you know that most CH-4 purchase countries are busy picking up the crashed wreckages?
Do you have any special channels?

Maybe you should ask some of the readers here if I have any special channels.

I have spent my life working with the Chinese as they helped us through thick and thin. From FT-5, to F6, to F7, we saw and assisted the evolution of Chinese aviation using our exposure of the western aerospace industry, F104, and the F16. The result is the spectacular JF17, which has the valuable input of both the evolved Chinese aerospace industry and the experienced Pakistani fighter pilot.

Does this mean the Chinese drones are the answer for Pakistan? I have my serious doubts.
Maybe this one is better:
4b833a01jw1f8yyfvful3j20cf09bwfh.jpg

My son, what are you trying to achieve here? Please enlighten me.

This is a HALE recce drone.
I'm just curious that why Pakistan isn't interested in something like WZ-7.
OK, maybe I am straying away from the topic.

5 Pages for CH-5 Drone?????
Bilal Khan Sb is right first we need drones in large numbers. Drone like CH-5 don't fit the bill we don't have money even if platform is mature to buy in large number.
Pakistan should first produce / induct drones with burraq like capabilities which honestly what Pakistan can achieve.
People forget that these drones would save life on the ground even without guided missile.
The early warning about enemy attack & its position is more then enough to save life of our troops.

Everything looks good on paper, but such huge investment (speculated to be 10 million clean config, 20 million with payloads),
This amount seems to be very similar for what JF17's block I were. It is not possible to induct these when we can get JF-17block I and later upgrade them to block III.

This amount seems to be very similar for what JF17's block I were. It is not possible to induct these when we can get JF-17block I and later upgrade them to block III.

Cannot compare apples with oranges. UAV's should cost much less.

Cannot compare apples with oranges. UAV's should cost much less.
(Edited the post due as it was not posted completely due to power failure.)

Exactly...
This certifies my point that if CH-5 costs almost as much as the JF-17 then PAF should procure them as they will replace the aging aircraft fleet later on they can be upgraded.

Here are some interesting quotes on price regarding JF-17:-

1) In numbers, a JF-17 Thunder costs (approximately) between $25 million USD-$32 million USD, depending on the tranche and avionics version.
https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/...-jf-17-thunder-the-real-joint-strike-fighter/

2) A "fraction of the price"? The quoted price for a single JF-17 unit is roughly $28 million USD. That's over 50% MORE expensive than an early-block F-16C.
https://www.quora.com/How-did-Pakis...r-at-a-fraction-of-price-of-a-U-S-counterpart

3) In its federal budget proposal for 2018, Nigeria has allocated NGN 13.12 billion ($36 million U.S.) as a payment for an order for three JF-17 Thunder multi-role fighters – along with support equipment and spare parts – from Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC).
https://quwa.org/2018/01/07/nigeria-budgets-additional-payment-for-jf-17-order-from-pakistan/

4) Pakistan is offering the JF-17 for a low price ($25 million in the cheapest configuration) and touts the fact that this is a third the price of an F-16. But this is comparing apples and oranges.
http://rpdefense.over-blog.com/arti...-cheap-competition-for-the-f-16-89855058.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom