What's new

Could Syria be the spark that causes the Middle East to explode?

iranigirl2

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of

President Obama agreeing to give more help to the rebels in Syria is a Code Red decision in every sense.

It will almost certainly drench Syria in even more blood and it’s another danger signal that the war there is escalating and spreading far beyond its borders.

The announcement came on the same day as the UN declared that at least 93,000 people have been killed in Syria up to April, probably more. A year ago it was 10,000.

That’s 5,000 a month. Assuming the same rate of killing since April, the figure is now over 100,000.

Into this bloodbath, the West is about to send planeloads of weapons.

Syria’s rebels, a loose alliance of army deserters, Sunni civilians and al-Qaeda-linked fanatics, are now to be armed to the teeth by the world’s only superpower.

It’s one thing for a few thousand fighters from Hezbollah to join the war, or for the Gulf state of Qatar to supply weapons... It’s quite another for the world’s strongest power to back Sunni rebels against Shia forces in a civil war.

America has a poor record in the Middle East. It may be about to get worse. And the war threatens to get worse, too.

Already the danger is not just deadlier fighting within Syria. That’s already happening.

Government forces are beginning a new offensive against rebels who control half of the second city, Aleppo.

Fresh from victory in the strategic town of Qusair, the army is turning to the city of Homs, the cockpit of the revolution.

America may believe that by arming the rebels it can halt the regime’s advance before both cities are retaken.

But the war now involves fighters from the Lebanese group Hezbollah. They provided the muscle that made Qusair fall. Hezbollah, and Syria’s army, are being supplied by Iran. Russia is supplying President Assad’s forces. America is about to supply their enemies.

It’s the Cold War all over again – this time fought in the most volatile region of the world. It’s a proxy war that pushes American-Russian relations to a new low. The possibilities of miscalculation are endless.

Major powers getting dragged into regional conflicts have sparked World Wars in the past.

America is entering a sectarian war that is already spreading beyond Syria’s boundaries.

On the one side is a Sunni Muslim front, led by Saudi Arabia, backing the rebels.

On the other is a Shia front, led by the Saudis’ sworn enemy Iran.

America is now entering this intra-Muslim war, while at the same time confronting Iran. Its weapons against the Ayatollahs’.

It’s a war that is spreading. Syrian rockets and missiles have already landed in three countries: Israel, Lebanon and Turkey.

Syrian troops have been killed fleeing into Iraq.

Turkish warplanes have struck inside Syria; Syrian car bombs have killed dozens inside Turkey.

Iraq’s civil war has been re-ignited by the sectarian slaughter in Syria, with over 1,000 killed in the worst month of violence for five years.

The biggest danger is that the war in Syria will explode inside Lebanon.

It’s a fragile country, with terrible memories of a civil war that tore it to pieces.

It is dominated by the group now fighting inside Syria, Hezbollah.

And there has already been some fighting in Lebanon itself, between Sunni and Shia factions. Lebanon is a tinderbox waiting to explode.

Syria, President Assad once declared, is different. What he meant was that it would be safe from the Arab revolutions.

In that he was wrong. But he was right in saying that while Libya imploded, Syria would explode across the Middle East if violence grew. Syria’s revolution has done what revolutions often do, it has “changed utterly”.

So, in the next few days many of the world’s most powerful leaders will gather to discuss what is happening in Syria.

It will be one of the frostiest summits ever and perhaps one of the least successful.

At the G8 meeting in Enniskillen, President Obama and Russia’s President Vladimir Putin will glare at each other, as rivals across a Middle Eastern chessboard.

Both have agreed peace talks are necessary and both signed up to a conference in Geneva this month.

That has been postponed indefinitely. Instead, both are backing their own sides in a sectarian slaughter in Syria.

David Cameron will host a chilly preview to the summit when he meets Mr Putin in Downing Street.

The summit is unlikely to achieve much, certainly not peace. Never believe a war cannot get worse.

In another year, 93,000 dead may seem like 10,000 did a year ago.

Could Syria be the spark that causes the Middle East to explode? - Bill Neely - Mirror Online

Haven't we said this before. At the invasion of Iraq or afghanistan or previously Lebanon? Nothing happened and the occupiers do they want to do. Its because our inner divisions that enemies take advantage.

I dont think this escalation is going to help anybody in syria. It will ensure russia supplies weapons openly to syria, and support regime more.

Code red????

Must be written by a "drama queen".

The most will be done here is a no fly zone.

Other than that, FSA may get big machine guns like those given to Libya's anti Qaddafi forces.

Please stop spreading rumors.

Thank you

Well, Libya is no way near to Israel. Syria's fall might have ripple affect in Lebanon and Jordan and Iraq. And this non sense about supplying weapons is just ludicrous. Rebels were provided help from day one.

Sadly, humanity is being humiliated.

Well, Libya is no way near to Israel. Syria's fall might have ripple affect in Lebanon and Jordan and Iraq. And this non sense about supplying weapons is just ludicrous. Rebels were provided help from day one.

Sadly, humanity is being humiliated.

Lebanon may be.

But no Jordan or Iraq.

Even Iran and Russia will stand on the side lines.

iran cannot dare to openly intervene in Syria.

Just the proxy war.

It is quite possible that Hizbullah may get screwed in this drama.

All these things could have easily been avoided, if Assad the butcher had stepped down.

But that SOB thinks Syria is less important than his ego.

SOB

Lebanon may be.

But no Jordan or Iraq.

Just the proxy war.

All these things could have easily been avoided, if Assad the butcher had stepped down.

SOB

Asad missed the opportunity to negotiate with the rebels who are actually no different that butchers themselves.

But why don't the americans accept Assad now because he has retained power? Why carry on with this bloodshed now?

Just because the rebels are losing someone jumps in to help them.

I just hope Syria is not partitioned, because if that happens, Iraq is next.

I fear for Pakistan now because all these countries whose boundaries were crafted by the British are crumbling.

Asad missed the opportunity to negotiate with the rebels who are actually no different that butchers themselves. .....

yeap. He missed it.

But even now he can step down and find a good place in a country of his choice.

I fear for Pakistan now because all these countries whose boundaries were crafted by the British are crumbling.

Nah.

Pakistan is in a different category.

We have two layer system.

First layer is political parties.

If this layer fails.

the second layer aka army will step in and hold new elctions in few years.

We have a buffer.

Syrian army comprises of bunch of woossies.

they should have taken care of Assad the butcher instead of running with their tails behind their legs.

there was no need to form FSA, or allow Islamist goons to fight Assad the butcher.

these Generals should have simply killed the mofo Assad.

Lebanon may be.

But no Jordan or Iraq.

Just the proxy war.

SOB

He must realize that the cost of freedom is always high, and the Syrian people have spoken, not the loyalists.

yeap. He missed it.

But even now he can step down and find a good place in a country of his choice.

Nah.

Pakistan is in a different category.

We have two layer system.

First layer is political parties.

If this layer fails.

the second layer aka army will step in and hold new elctions in few years.

We have a buffer.

Syrian army comprises of bunch of woossies.

they should have taken care of Assad the butcher instead of running with their tails behind their legs.

there was no need to form FSA, or allow Islamist goons to fight Assad the butcher.

these Generals should have simply killed the mofo Assad.

I respect your optimism, but totally disagree.

Like Syria, Pakistan is diverse and even more diverse. Ethnic and sectarian violence is always alive.

Pakistan army is no position to carry on fighting on three fronts as the country sinks further.

Syrian army depends on the more reliable russians and Pakistan army cannot rely on US.

Pakistan on the contrary is surrounded by powerful unfriendly states and has major internal conflicts.

He must realize that the cost of freedom is always high, and the Syrian people have spoken, not the loyalists.

What have they spoken?

I didn't hear them calling for war in their own country. The common people have had enough of the rebels and the govt and they are fed up of being refugees in surrounding kingdoms.

Asad missed the opportunity to negotiate with the rebels who are actually no different that butchers themselves.

But why don't the americans accept Assad now because he has retained power? Why carry on with this bloodshed now?

Just because the rebels are losing someone jumps in to help them.

I just hope Syria is not partitioned, because if that happens, Iraq is next.

Pakistan will be fine if it just minds its own business and worries about its economy.

I respect your optimism, but totally disagree.

Like Syria, Pakistan is diverse and even more diverse. Ethnic and sectarian violence is always alive.

Pakistan army is no position to carry on fighting on three fronts as the country sinks further.

Syrian army depends on the more reliable russians and Pakistan army cannot rely on US.

Pakistan on the contrary is surrounded by powerful unfriendly states and has major internal conflicts.

What will China do if its friend that keeps the Indians distracted on their western borders falls or even worse is annexed by India? Can they afford to lose Pakistan, think about it. :D

What have they spoken?

I didn't hear them calling for war in their own country. The common people have had enough of the rebels and the govt and they are fed up of being refugees in surrounding kingdoms.

Agreed at first the protests were done by legitimate Syrians peacefully but their objectives have been completely hijacked by foreign mercs.

Pakistan will be fine if it just minds its own business and worries about its economy.

What will China do if its friend that keeps the Indians distracted on their western borders falls or even worse is annexed by India? Can they afford to lose Pakistan, think about it. :D

There should be a comprehensive discussion on Pakistan and patriotism should be kept out of it.

A new thread would be nice. But since many Pakistanis love Pakistan so much, that might not happen. Anyways, to the point.

China's main frontier is in the South China Sea/ east china sea and not South Asia. Chinese mainland faces the south china sea and east china sea.

So much is happening there that Pakistan is not exactly a top priority for China.

China has ample ability to defend itself and itself only. If someone thinks that China would march in like the US, its a fallacy.

Pakistan is tragically caught and this election generated some hope that new faces would come up and revamp the govt, but this has caused more problem for Pakistan as it is now stagnant.

@Silverblaze

Hi bro,

What's up?

I think you must have understood my point of view, From day one in the protests Assad had shown how brutal he was, we chose to remain silent for 6 months, but I can't lie to you that we can't stand mobilizing tanks to crush the skulls of the Syrian people, nor can we take the fact that Hezbollah, Other Shia militias, and Iran were involved in the role of killing the Syrian people. Therefore, the Syrian people have the right to defend themselves.

We definitely can stop the flood of weapons to the FSA, but disappointingly however, we can't stop Assad and Hezbollah from slaughtering the Syrian people.

It's time to take sides :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Silverblaze

Hi bro,

What's up?

I think you must have understood my point of view, From day one in the protests Assad had shown how brutal he was, we chose to remain silent for 6 months, but I can't lie to you that we can't stand mobilizing tanks to crush the skulls of the Syrian people, nor can we take the fact that Hezbollah, Other Shia militias, and Iran were involved in the role of killing the Syrian people. Therefore, the Syrian people have the right to defend themselves.

We definitely can stop the flood of weapons to the FSA, but disappointingly however, we can't stop Assad and Hezbollah from slaughtering the Syrian people.

It's time to take sides :)

thanks for your kind reply and hi to all

One must always take the side of peace.

We should not care about anyone, but the people of syria. Every stake holder is busy in playing its own game including your country.

I have nothing, but respect for your people and culture and your economic progress, I hope you progress smoothly, but I cannot agree with your policy vis a vis Syria.

Iranians too are responsible, but this conflict is being escalated from the other side now by arming them.

Once again, no disrespect to your truly great people, but can't agree with you. Lets agree to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom