What's new

Comparing India and Pakistan 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
By being referred as Axis of evil, has the importance of Iran been effected in any way, more so for India......??
What really matters at the end of the day, is the ground reality.
By pointing at others, your own troubles seldom go away.
For saying all your stuffs why did you quote me? What relation dose it have to that of what i have posted...

For saying all your stuffs why did you quote me? What relation dose it have to that of what i have posted...

Because this was your assertion......!!!

"But when one says failed state it sums up merely everything. Understaned"!!

Because this was your assertion......!!!

"But when one says failed state it sums up merely everything. Understaned"!!
>>What really matters at the end of the day, is the ground reality.

End of the day what happens?? YOur are claiming as though, whatever happens now, at the end, India will beocme a failed nation and that of yours will florish.

>>By pointing at others, your own troubles seldom go away.
Never did I said that. Please dont assume. BTW It was one of your guy who pointed out. May be what you said, was for him.

>>By being referred as Axis of evil, has the importance of Iran been effected in any way, more so for India......??

I'm lost. Please explain in simple terms.

>>What really matters at the end of the day, is the ground reality.

End of the day what happens?? YOur are claiming as though, whatever happens now, at the end, India will beocme a failed nation and that of yours will florish.
That's your assertion on Pakistan, no body not at least I have such judgement on India.

>>By pointing at others, your own troubles seldom go away.
Never did I said that. Please dont assume. BTW It was one of your guy who pointed out. May be what you said, was for him.
Two wrongs don't make a right, it applies to who ever thinks like wise.
>>By being referred as Axis of evil, has the importance of Iran been effected in any way, more so for India......??

I'm lost. Please explain in simple terms.
Last i read was that India is investing big time in some Iranian port.

These few lines make the entire piece suspect.

Pakistan is the most egalitarian economy in South Asia as measured by Gini index.

List of countries by income equality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pakistan 30.6

Bangladesh 33.4

India 36.8

Sri Lanks 50.0

You see neither the obscene wealth nor the abject poverty of India any where in Pakistan.

In spite of all of its problems, the percent of population living on less than $1.25 a day in Pakistan is less than half of India, according to the last report from UNDP last year.

And Pakistan doesn't define problem as less than 30 cents a day like India does. Poverty in Pakistan is defined as people living on less than $1.25 per capita.

Haq's Musings: UNDP Reports Pakistan Poverty Declined to 17%

The rest of the problems such as water, power, insurgencies etc all exist in India to the same or greater degree than in Pakistan.

That's the problem with anecdotal editorials.. They are views of people.. Just like in your post, the writer uses a conversation with a single individual to make a point..

As I said earlier, lets stay with composite stats and index numbers that you are fond of.. Whether its UNDP's HDR or WEF or CIA Fact book, Pakistan is always rated lower than India.. And I maintain that in social index both are pathetic, but Pakistan is worse off than India.

May be you want to discount that to a Hindu - Zionist nexus in media, but thats what it says...So if you want to resort to editorials as a back up to your claims, believe you me, you can suspect all you want, but for every 1 article you find on India's plight, there will be 5 on Pakistan's.. Your choice if you want to go there...

By being referred as Axis of evil, has the importance of Iran been effected in any way, more so for India......??
What really matters at the end of the day, is the ground reality.
By pointing at others, your own troubles seldom go away

Bang on friend.. Exactly what I have been trying to say..

I am willing to leave it at this if Mr Haq is.. Else, unless mods close it, this thread has the potential to become the largest one on this forum:azn:

In spite of all of its problems, the percent of population living on less than $1.25 a day in Pakistan is less than half of India, according to the last report from UNDP last year.[/url]
well population of india is 6 times that of pakistan...and according to you no.of poor in india are 2 times that of pakistan

do not you think that the ratio of poor is less in india ...

And Pakistan doesn't define problem as less than 30 cents a day like India does. Poverty in Pakistan is defined as people living on less than $1.25 per capita.

have you read some lessons from economics ...or you are just copy pasting without knowing the subject
you are comparing nominal(international vaalue) to a PPP(national value) which is completely irrelevant

poverty is the domestic subject ....and therefore PPP comparison is much better then simple nominal comparison
1$ in india can buy much more goods in India as compared to USA or Europe
IPL of $1.25 a day (PPP) mean in nominal terms Rs. 21.6 a day in urban areas and Rs 14.3 in rural areas

even $1.25 in pakistan also mean in PPP term

Bang on friend.. Exactly what I have been trying to say..

I am willing to leave it at this if Mr Haq is.. Else, unless mods close it, this thread has the potential to become the largest one on this forum:azn:
You see buddy, as i said some where, every action invites a reaction, if Indian members keep jumping on the band wagon, then a reply in kind is inevitable. Members can't contain them self by getting their two liners in, hence inviting a like wise answer from any quarters.

We can compare the development of nations by human development index...which give account.....health(life expectency),wealth & education on the whole
indias human development index is (0.612) as compared to pakistan (0.572)

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 6, 2010

Comparing India and Pakistan in 2010

Dr. Ishrat Husain, a former World Bank senior official and an ex governor of the State Bank of Pakistan, wrote an article captioned "India, Pakistan: a comparison" at the end of the first five decades of two nations' existence as independent states. To my knowledge, Dr. Hussain has not done an update of his article since it was first published. Although about three years too late, this post is my attempt to present a comparison of the two South Asian nations after sixty years of independence.

Here is the opening paragraph from Dr. Husain's article from the late 1990s, which I believe still stands true today:

"India and Pakistan are completing five decades of their independence. Since the partition, the relationship between the two countries has been uneasy and characterized by a set of paradoxes. There is a mixture of love and hate, a tinge of envy and admiration, bouts of paranoia and longing for cooperation, and a fierce rivalry but a sense of proximity, too. The heavy emotional overtones have made it difficult to sift the facts from the myths and make an objective assessment. There are in fact only two extreme types of reactions on each side. Either there are those who always find that the grass is greener on the other side of the pasture or those who are totally dismissive of the accomplishments of the other side."

Not much has changed in the last ten years as far as the above paragraph is concerned. The relationship between the two nations remains as emotionally charged as ever.

Then Dr. Husain's essay talked about what he saw as the common successes of the two nations in the first fifty years:

1. Despite the prophets of gloom and doom on both sides of the fence, both India and Pakistan have succeeded in more than doubling their per capita incomes. This is a remarkable feat considering that the population has increased fourfold in case of Pakistan and threefold in India. Leaving aside the countries in East Asia and China, very few large countries have been able to reach this milestone.

2. The incidence of poverty (defined as $1 per day) has also been reduced significantly although the number of absolute poor remains astoundingly high. However, the level of poverty is lower in Pakistan.

3. Food production has not only kept pace with the rise in population but has surpassed it. Both countries, leaving aside annual fluctuations due to weather conditions, are self-sufficient in food. (Pakistan exports its surplus rice but imports small volumes of wheat).

4. Food self-sufficiency has been accompanied by improved nutritional status. Daily caloric and protein intake per capita has risen by almost one-third but malnourishment among children is still high.

5. The cracks in the dualistic nature of the economy -- a well-developed modern sector and a backward traditional sector -- are appearing fast in both the countries. A buoyant middle class is emerging. The use of modern inputs and mechanization of agriculture has been a leveling influence in this direction. But public policies have not always been consistent or supportive.

Here is the update to the above assessment:

1. Per capita incomes in both nations have more than doubled in the last ten years, in spite of significant increases in population. The most recent and detailed real per capita income data was calculated and reported by Asian Development Bank based on a detailed study of a list of around 800 household and nonhousehold products in 2005 and early 2006 to compare real purchasing power for ADB's trans-national income comparison program (ICP). The ABD ICP concluded that Pakistan had the highest per capita income at HK$ 13,528 (US $1,745) among the largest nations in South Asia. ADB reported India’s per capita as HK $12,090 (US $1,560). Nominal per capita GDP estimates for Pakistan range from US $1000 to US $1022, while the range for India is from US $ 1017 to US $ 1100. Purchasing power parity (PPP) per capita GDP estimates for Pakistan from various sources range from $2500 to $2644, while the same sources put the range for India's per capita GDP from $2780 to $2972.

South Asia Investor Review: Comparing India and Pakistan in 2010

Ground realities-->hmmm..... most defending INDIA are sitting in INDIA...

Mr haq dont you think you are arguing with kids...

You see buddy, as i said some where, every action invites a reaction, if Indian members keep jumping on the band wagon, then a reply in kind is inevitable. Members can't contain them self by getting their two liners in, hence inviting a like wise answer from any quarters.

There you go...Now please look at who started the thread thereby inviting reactions...Honestly the posts are so full of Bull Sh1t that one feel embarrased to even participate....However this is not the first time such posts have been put up....As Karan said in one of this post it becomes difficult when someone is attacking your country...

Anyways lets c how long this action-reaction will go on before it catches eyes of some mod and he/she Locks the thread for good.....

Please do not even get me started on the Hindu Caste Systems.

Please do. I want to hear what you know about the caste system. For far too many posts, I have seen members use this term for unrelated reasons without knowing what it is about. Educate us all on what you know about this and specifically, why you think it is bad for society.

Last i read was that India is investing big time in some Iranian port.

That is business. Do you know how many American businesses operate in Iran? You might be interested to know that Iran is one of the leading export markets for US tobacco. So these things mean nothing.

People want to leave India in droves, and that's why the world is worried. Countries like US have imposed quotas, and yet illegal immigration from India to US is rising dramatically.

There are an estimated 270,0000 illegal Indian immigrants in the United States, according to 2006 figures from the US Department of Homeland Security. With 125% percent increase from 2000 to 2006, India represents the fastest growing source of illegal immigrants to the United States, reports San Jose Mercury News, a major Silicon Valley newspaper. In absolute numbers, Central and South American nations account for the bulk of the estimated 11.5 million illegals, with India a distant second with 270,000 in 2006.

Haq's Musings: Illegal Immigration From India Jumps 125 Percent

Mr. Haq, I am not aware how long you have lived in the US but this is not an accurate assessment. The US has not imposed restrictions on immigrations based on country, rather it is an overall ban on immigration for economic reasons. I don't want to sound racist, but the major problem for the US is illegal immigration of Mexicans and Latinos, because they come here with limited education or career. Some of the ones living in Florida, S. California or Texas end up in drug trade and crime. Check the FBI crime database for reference. The Asian immigrants in contrast are annoying, but not a danger to society. And in the present world, Pakistan is one of the countries from which travelers are discriminated against. It is unfortunate, but it is still the truth of the day. As far as Indian emigration goes, the percentage is still high positive, but the trend is receding. Many Indians (out of will or desperation) are returning to India since situations have improved since they left. I know it is the city dwellers who comprise the majority of Indians on this forum, but the poor Indians never could, or wanted to migrate in the first place. Their issues of roti, kapda, makaan is probably as bad now, as it was in 1990. Same can be said of Pakistan too. But now the poor in Pakistan have another fear embedded - that of life. Is it a secret that blasts happen only in poor neighborhoods or marketplaces? The reason for that could be anything, but the poor of Pakistan face the brunt there as well. If I were a poor Indian, I would be worried about what I would eat, where I would live, or what I would wear. But I would thank my almighty that I don't have to be overly worried about IF I would live to worry about all this.

On another note, your post pulling religion into this, harping on Hindutva idiots was unnecessary. As stated by me and many others before, All Indians are not Hindus and all Hindus are not Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom