What's new

CM-400AKG: Pakistan's supersonic carrier killer

Tactical EMP isn't exactly easy to develop,however the US is working on tactical EMP so are other nations.

Here is a model of Tomahawk cruise missile with an non nuclear EMP warhead.

EMP4.GIF

"BGM-109 "TOMAHAWK" equipped with EMG warheads would be aimed at enemy electronics

In military form, the EMG is a conventional warhead that produces a magnetic pulsed field equal to a small nuclear bomb. EMGs can knock out computers, radios, radars and fry a wide variety of electronic devices.

The U.S. version, an EMG warhead equipped Tomahawk cruise missile, was considered by the Clinton administration for "non-lethal" strikes against Serbian radar and command posts. Russian versions vary but two have been openly developed for Speznatz (special forces) operations, a backpack EMG and a grenade sized EMG."
A nuclear EMP (NEMP) weapon has political baggage. No one is going to see a high altitude nuclear detonation as an EMP attack, even though the dominant effect will be EMP. The reasoning here is that EMP is a byproduct of a nuclear detonation, of which the main product of such is the physical destruction of people and objects. So if the enemy is using a byproduct today, who is going to guarantee that he will not use the main product tomorrow?

Counter-electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Counter-electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP) is a joint concept technology demonstration led by the Air Force Research Laboratory, Directed Energy Directorate at Kirtland Air Force Base to develop an air-launched directed-energy weapon capable of incapacitating or damaging electronic systems.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2012/10/25/video-boeing-champ-missle-drone-acts-as-flying-emp-weapon/
In the real world test, the CHAMP was able to not only knock out banks of PCs, but even the cameras that were being used to record the test. “We took out everything, it was fantastic.”
A non-nuclear EMP (NNEMP) weapon is much more palatable politically and militarily. Remember, the goal of any war is still territorial acquisition and control, or far less preferable -- denial of the same to the enemy. A nuclear detonation has another unfortunate byproduct -- radiation -- which would be denial of territory to all sides.

EMP is essentially electromagnetic jamming on steroids and then squared, to put it simply. The difference between EM jamming and an EMP assault is that in EM jamming, it is about the disruption of transmissions from sources other than one's own and using just enough power for that purpose. An EMP assault is about generating so much EM energy that this transmission will be able to overcome not just EM barriers but physical ones as well. Those physical barriers are things like capacitor housing, conductor traces on circuit boards, etc.

The turbine engine in a cruise missile already has enough POTENTIAL surplus power waiting to be exploited to become an NNEMP weapon. That was the goal of CHAMP. The range will be far less than from an NEMP weapon, of course, but given the fact that the EMP generator is in an air vehicle capable of loitering, duration will be far longer and the EMP assault will be more precise. So it is not that difficult to imagine a concentration of enemy hardware being under EMP assault by several NNEMP cruise missiles and probably under minutes instead of a microsecond from an NEMP detonation.

A CHAMP-like weapon will be more difficult to develop because instead of using a byproduct of a nuclear detonation, we are trying to isolate that byproduct and make it the main product of a new weapon, instead of an existing one -- a nuclear warhead.

Tactical EMP isn't exactly easy to develop,however the US is working on tactical EMP so are other nations.

Here is a model of Tomahawk cruise missile with an non nuclear EMP warhead.

EMP4.GIF

"BGM-109 "TOMAHAWK" equipped with EMG warheads would be aimed at enemy electronics

In military form, the EMG is a conventional warhead that produces a magnetic pulsed field equal to a small nuclear bomb. EMGs can knock out computers, radios, radars and fry a wide variety of electronic devices.

The U.S. version, an EMG warhead equipped Tomahawk cruise missile, was considered by the Clinton administration for "non-lethal" strikes against Serbian radar and command posts. Russian versions vary but two have been openly developed for Speznatz (special forces) operations, a backpack EMG and a grenade sized EMG."

A backpack EMG an RPG they may take out a tank at best or electronics in a building ,a tomahawk maybe a ship[which an anti ship missile can outright destroy],these are not miniature nukes,just EMP weapons.Nuke EMP is till now uncontrollable due to chain reaction.

Explosive Magnetocumulative Generator Warhead

The process of creating the magnetic field in an EMG generator requires a coil wrapped in belt of explosives, shaped to create an implosion. Before detonation, current is sent throught the coil which creates a small magnetic field for a split second. The explosives are then detonated to "squeeze" the coil rapidly and create an extremely high-magnetic-field. The joint experiments being done by scientists from Los Alamos and Arazamas-16 have used this type of generator with large multicoil systems.
EMP3.GIF

Explosive Magnetocumulative Generator Warhead

The process of creating the magnetic field in an EMG generator requires a coil wrapped in belt of explosives, shaped to create an implosion. Before detonation, current is sent throught the coil which creates a small magnetic field for a split second. The explosives are then detonated to "squeeze" the coil rapidly and create an extremely high-magnetic-field. The joint experiments being done by scientists from Los Alamos and Arazamas-16 have used this type of generator with large multicoil systems.
EMP3.GIF
@Aeronaut we can test this on our own , right ? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think EMP attack idea with burst nukes at high alt. is a very dangerous game and Pak should not to such a level of stupidity. I believe the SFC in India made it very clear, any hint of a nuke attack specially including use of Theater nukes on NASR etc. will result in direct strategic nuke attack against Pak. I repeat Nasr is the stupidest weapon in Pak inventory, even a simple launch can be seen as a nuke attack and IA will be keeping a close eye on any such launches, you can be sure the response will be swift and destruction complete Pak will turned in the world's largest waste land very quickly.

I think EMP attack idea with burst nukes at high alt. is a very dangerous game and Pak should not to such a level of stupidity. I believe the SFC in India made it very clear, any hint of a nuke attack specially including use of Theater nukes on NASR etc. will result in direct strategic nuke attack against Pak. I repeat Nasr is the stupidest weapon in Pak inventory, even a simple launch can be seen as a nuke attack and IA will be keeping a close eye on any such launches, you can be sure the response will be swift and destruction complete Pak will turned in the world's largest waste land very quickly.

Useless to discuss armageddon scenario,both sides understand that equation.

Pak doesn't understand the nuke strike scenario, they believe they can get away by theaterising nukes. Moreover, a nuke war between the both would be end for Pak not for India. It is not an Armegddon scenario. There are no spill over effects of such a war, except for radiation. Pak has no global standing and no body will miss them :wave:

This missile is over-rated, its a high speed rocket missile which can be intercepted by the likes of AK-630, Barak etc.

@Immanuel

We understand it fairly well to have prevented three wars in '87 , '02 and '08 apparently . Our doctrine is clear ' Do not cross the border and we wont threaten you with nuclear weapons ' .

This gamble of ' retreat , save a billion ' or ' continue , risk a billion ' has been discussed to death here , go and check some other threads before painting ' doomsday ' scenario . Yes , I agree that the Indians can run their Govt from Port Blair after a nuclear exchange . :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Abay retaliation ki dhamki danay kay bawjood bhi tum logon ki har waqt phati kun rehti hai?

Why do you guys keep parroting the same again and again? perhaps you guys don't believe that india can do what it says or Pakistan will not give a damn about your threats when the time comes.

Useless to discuss armageddon scenario,both sides understand that equation.

Why do you guys keep parroting the same again and again? perhaps you guys don't believe that india can do what it says or Pakistan will not give a damn about your threats when the time comes.

Because pak members keep parroting about their nuke strike option,so we in return must keep parroting about the response.

Manuals come in handy but in a situation of anarchy everyone doing the same thing will be disastrous.

Do you know much about tactical EMP?

I use a typewriter and own pidgeons. So.... I don't worry: my critical infrastructure is EMP proof. Does EMP impair brain function?

Back
Top Bottom