What's new

'Chinese students stealing tech secrets from UK varsities’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I realize some of his post indicate on whole that Chinese can't innovate or least not like western countries. In a country of 1.3 billion people ?!? seriously?

Also I find it humorous that everyone is bashing the Chinese students in the "uppity moral" stance, in the few countries I worked inc India and London everyone copied swathes of data from the firm before leaving the company. Its morally wrong but in a dog eat dog world everybody wants that advantage from the next guy.

And now some jokers are justifying how its wrong for Chinese students to bring data from the US universities back to their homeland for competitive advantaged? What a joke, if the data is that important secure it, if you can't secure it then either stop complaining or stop letting foreign students in period. If everyone was really so morally upright there would be no need for companies like McAfee and Norton etc.

Oh yeah, one of my profs who moved back from working in industry use to tell us about this problem, ie, people working on starting work on their own company while on the university's wages, and people taking lucrative parts of their research (also developed on the university's money) and starting their own biotech etc. He didn't tell us what race they (and why would he) but it seems to be a field wide phenomena.

I could come up with all the innovative inventions that china has brought out throughout her history but feel no need to beat a dead horse over and over again. People can believe what they want. But maybe wait 10-20 years and you'll see innovative ideas and contraptions blossom in china.

Pathetic that some have to resort to using racism as a shield for their lack of free thinking (not surprising though) and understanding a pov. Also, for the umpteenth time, its pathetic how people tend to take things out of context to support their own skewed world view. I had thought better, but alas. A person who has no point resorts to personal attacks. Proves how un-original some people really are!

Dude, lower that racism sensitivity meter. Not gonna help you in any way.

Anywho, if intellectual property is not so important why the facade of applying for 'astronomical number' of patents and trying to put up a semblance of protecting 'business secrets'? Like they say, let the dogs out if its a dog eat dog world.

And show me one original concept coming out of China in these recent years, for all your baying!

Oh yeah, one of my profs who moved back from working in industry use to tell us about this problem, ie, people working on starting work on their own company while on the university's wages, and people taking lucrative parts of their research (also developed on the university's money) and starting their own biotech etc. He didn't tell us what race they (and why would he) but it seems to be a field wide phenomena.

Funny thing is I used to have questions raised to me from my offshore staff it its okay to take a copy sensitive work back to their homes to work on (i.e get a reference). My British colleagues were very strict on this because they see it as a breach of protocol etc though they had no issues doing it themselves (obviously they put themselves in higher moral bracket like what I am seeing here). Being an Asian and a realist I just told them to do what they needed to do but don't get caught.

And this just came in
BBC News - China 'to overtake US on science' in two years
Does mention the quality of the patents but hey China's getting there

Pathetic that some have to resort to using racism as a shield for their lack of free thinking (not surprising though) and understanding a pov. Also, for the umpteenth time, its pathetic how people tend to take things out of context to support their own skewed world view. I had thought better, but alas. A person who has no point resorts to personal attacks. Proves how un-original some people really are!

Dude, lower that racism sensitivity meter. Not gonna help you in any way.

Anywho, if intellectual property is not so important why the facade of applying for 'astronomical number' of patents and trying to put up a semblance of protecting 'business secrets'? Like they say, let the dogs out if its a dog eat dog world.

And show me one original concept coming out of China in these recent years, for all your baying!

I knew that was coming lol

Dysons products are very expensive, so hopefully there will be cheaper Chinese versions available for consumers. :china:

Funny thing is I used to have questions raised to me from my offshore staff it its okay to take a copy sensitive work back to their homes to work on (i.e get a reference). My British colleagues were very strict on this because they see it as a breach of protocol etc though they had no issues doing it themselves (obviously they put themselves in higher moral bracket like what I am seeing here). Being an Asian and a realist I just told them to do what they needed to do but don't get caught.

And this just came in
BBC News - China 'to overtake US on science' in two years
Does mention the quality of the patents but hey China's getting there

Hey the fact that they asked you is a good indicator that they aren't about to do something illicit with it.

Dysons products are very expensive, so hopefully there will be cheaper Chinese versions available for consumers. :china:

Dyson's vacuum technology was actually copied by some big US companies at one point and even Japanese companies when he brought the prototype over to Japan. Hell I got a Panasonic vacuum that uses the same cyclone technology as Dyson.

I could come up with all the innovative inventions that china has brought out throughout her history but feel no need to beat a dead horse over and over again. People can believe what they want. But maybe wait 10-20 years and you'll see innovative ideas and contraptions blossom in china.

Well.... lol

Dyson's vacuum technology was actually copied by some big US companies at one point and even Japanese companies when he brought the prototype over to Japan. Hell I got a Panasonic vacuum that uses the same cyclone technology as Dyson.

Their bladeless fans are pretty awesome though.

I mean I would understand if there was a case of a Chinese student caught doing something and an university came out with the information but there was no case, it was just a general statement that Dyson made because he was upset with a student visa decision.

Student visas decision is madness, says Dyson - People Management Magazine Online

and really what kind of proof does he have for paranoid allegation like this?

THE inventor Sir James Dyson has warned that Chinese students are infiltrating British universities to steal technological and scientific secrets and even planting software bugs to relay the information to China.

I asked about innovations from China in recent years. I am aware of ancient Chinese contributions. What are the recent ones?

Hey the fact that they asked you is a good indicator that they aren't about to do something illicit with it.

Actually not really, they usually ask me mainly because if someone finds out they will have someone to point a finger to! Unfortunately when you work for the company and you have outsource staff there is always a hierarchy in ranking though everyone is doing the similar work, and since I represent the company blaming me shows that they done it with some authority.

It didn't bother me anyway since they needed a boost in their knowledge and careers but I draw the line when it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom