What's new

'Chinese students stealing tech secrets from UK varsities’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually not really, they usually ask me mainly because if someone finds out they will have someone to point a finger to! Unfortunately when you work for the company and you have outsource staff there is always a hierarchy in ranking though everyone is doing the similar work, and since I represent the company blaming me shows that they don't it with some authority.

lol That sucks.

Has anyone ever argued a racist out of racism?

Has anyone made a grumpy old man happy?

Lol. You are indeed too touchy about racism. Open your mind and eyes, theres more to the world than falsely accusing people of being racist. Grumpy.

I mean I would understand if there was a case of a Chinese student caught doing something and an university came out with the information but there was no case, it was just a general statement that Dyson made because he was upset with a student visa decision.

Student visas decision is madness, says Dyson - People Management Magazine Online

and really what kind of proof does he have for paranoid allegation like this?

I think Dyson's just being a little whiny but to be fair his inventions were ripped off in the early years by Hoover and other (interestingly) non Chinese companies. Apparently his first invention the wheelbarrow with a ball for the wheel was ripped off by his partner, maybe the man has just has a serious attitude problem.

Kudos to his inventions though they are impressive if not expensive.

I think Dyson's just being a little whiny but to be fair his inventions were ripped off in the early years by Hoover and other (interestingly) non Chinese companies. Apparently his first invention the wheelbarrow with a ball for the wheel was ripped off by his partner, maybe the man has just has a serious attitude problem.

Kudos to his inventions though they are impressive if not expensive.

The fan thing is neat. I couldn't figure out how it worked until I saw this video.

apparently it is a pressure generator that pumps air across an airfoil, that happens to be in a cool circle shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked about innovations from China in recent years. I am aware of ancient Chinese contributions. What are the recent ones?

Really gonna make it that narrow? Can I say india is poor now and they will remain poor forever, even though she was prosperous in her history.

Really gonna make it that narrow? Can I say india is poor now and they will remain poor forever, even though she was prosperous in her history.

No. All this talk about recent Chinese contributions to humanity is what is false. Judging a country's technological prowess by the number of publications or the number of patents applied is false. In the intellectual arena quantity doesnt triumph over quality.

And yes, India is nowhere compared to China. The publications are not at par with what it really should be, given the vast skilled workforce India has and major educational institutions present there. Quality higher education in India, except for some really good institutes, is really wanting. But thats besides the point.

^^^ So what do you suppose we use to judge innovation, given that you already seems to have arrived at conclusion firmly about ability, or inability, of chinese people to innovate.

You are going to say democratic society?

Spot the difference.

6a6d92ea-b74a-11de-9812-00144feab49a.jpg

abikofan_500x375.jpg

As a consumer I feel happy about this, ethical or not, not sure:undecided:

lol, Dyson should be more aware of them Japanese.

Spot the difference.

As a consumer I feel happy about this, ethical or not, not sure:undecided:

Hehe I pity the man, but I don't think Dyson has much to worry about. Buying a Dyson is like buying a BMW, its a show piece of sorts. If I really wanted a blade less fan I would go for the Dyson.

Anyone who would have bought this probably wouldn't have bought a Dyson anyway, then again the copy aint cheap at 223 :D

^^^ So what do you suppose we use to judge innovation, given that you already seems to have arrived at conclusion firmly about ability, or inability, of chinese people to innovate.

You are going to say democratic society?

No. For now, China blatantly disregards intellectual property rights and is known to copy every piece of technology and mass produce it, in the process even ends up applying for patents for some pieces. However, I would love to see original ideas like iPhone for instance, or a better device than a USB connection. USB triumphed over CDs, Floppys, etc. How about come up with a drug delivery form other than and more popular than a tablet? Now that would constitute innovation.

But lets stick to the topic at hand. We are talking about taking data from labs/companies without consent from the owner. Not only Chinese do that, many Asians do that, and that does include some Indians. I had a person ask for some samples, without asking my PI's permission and had forwarded me the request through another un-related person. Thats highly unethical, but had I obliged, I would have faced the music.

Intellectual property theft occurs, no denying the fact. But its wrong, especially if you do it in Universities - educational institutions. And its not fair to those who develop the ideas. What if tomorrow, China does come up with a true pathbreaking innovation in medicine or pharmaceuticals or technology and others start making cheap generic copies without a scant regard for patents, earning profits in the process? Would you or anyone else like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom