8 - Tokyo
9 - Paris
10 - Moscow
11 - Dubai
12 - Sao Paulo
13 - Zurich
14 - Geneva
15 - Washington D.C.

The rankings comes from data from Citi’s Wealth Report Attitudes Survey 2011.

Shanghai has already surpassed us in terms of GDP, and scores higher than us on the OECD education tests.

Beijing was always stronger than us in terms of political, cultural and technical power. And soon, it will surpass us in GDP too.

The only thing that we still have a lead on, is standard of living and economic competitiveness. :P (HK has the second highest life expectancy on Earth).

But this is only the beginning. If you think the mainland cities are great now, wait ten more years and you will see some true miracles. :tup:

HK is China's international financial center, Shanghai is China's own financial center, and Beijing is China's political center.

They all have a different role to play, so you can't say which one is the most important one.

but if you replace Mainland cities with Seoul, it makes even more sense.

I have no plan going there. I cannot stand their language pronunciation, shouting, I like peace.

my observation (mostly from TV and internet) is Shanghai is close to HongKong. Other Chinese cities may be dynamic but short of orders. If you guys have visited any city in Japan, you would see what is called law and orders.

HK is China's international financial center, Shanghai is China's own financial center, and Beijing is China's political center.

They all have a different role to play, so you can't say which one is the most important one.

The most important thing, is the "upwards trajectory" of the mainland cities. Hong Kong has already reached the later stage of development, but most of the cities on the mainland still have several decades more of 10%+ growth.

Cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Shenzhen, Wuhan, Nanjing, Chongqing, etc. These cities are all going to skyrocket upwards in the next decade, that is the really exciting thing. :D

Even now I am shocked when I go to see the cities in the mainland, the pace of development is truly unbelievable.

I have no plan going there. I cannot stand their language pronunciation, shouting, I like peace.

my observation (mostly from TV and internet) is Shanghai is close to HongKong. Other Chinese cities may be dynamic but short of orders. If you guys have visited any city in Japan, you would see what is called law and orders.
very much agreed, they are very neet

The most important thing, is the "upwards trajectory" of the mainland cities. Hong Kong has already reached full development, but most of the cities on the mainland still have several decades more of 10%+ growth.

Cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Shenzhen, Wuhan, Nanjing, Chongqing, etc. These cities are all going to skyrocket upwards in the next decade, that is the really exciting thing.

Beijing and Shanghai both will soon reach their peak potential in the end of this decade, soon it will be the boast phase for other cities.

surprised webmaster hasn't deleted this economy thread yet

For mainland cities to overtake HK, is not simply an economic issue.

The power of cities, is not just about economy. Hong Kong has a great economy, but we have nearly zero political power in the world. We don't have much cultural or technological power either, unfortunately.

In terms of education we are good (Hong Kong University was recently ranked the best university in Asia)... however now Shanghai is beating us in terms of OECD test results.

I used to think our infrastructure was amazing, but the mainland cities are boasting some really unbelievable infrastructure now... that puts our MTR system to shame.

however now Shanghai is beating us in terms of OECD test results.
No, Shanghai did not. OECD PISA testing in Shanghai wasn't a full scale test to PISA standard; rather it was a demonstration testing(Like Wusu demonstration at Beijing Olympics whose purpose was for demonstration only and not counted as an official event) where the Shanghai education authority invited PISA to a number of specific schools(Highly selective school for the gifted). When the PISA test is conducted in China in accordance with PISA standard(PISA authorities pick which students to be tested at which schools randomly), you can be assured that Shanghai score will plummet.

Beijing is th undisputable education center in China,if PISA test took place in Beijing,the score will be much higher.

Beijing is th undisputable education center in China,if PISA test took place in Beijing,the score will be much higher.
No. K12 education quality depends on parent's personal income, and Shanghai's personal income is higher than Beijing's.

Back
Top Bottom