What's new

Chinese Foreign Affairs News & Discussions

I read that there are two main branches of Religion in the world.

1) Abrahamic religions e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism.

Abrahamic religions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) Dharmic/Indian religions e.g. Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikkism.

Indian religions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if this could lead to future problems... I remember reading something on the "clash of civilizations" that mentioned this point. Luckily, Dharmic/Indian religions can often be practised alongside other religions, so I don't really see it being a point of conflict in the world at large.

This is a fascinating subject, but vast. In addition, many very sensitive India-Pakistan issues are involved here. I have a suggestion to deal with this, and shall convey it to you separately.

Regards,

At the risk of being a party pooper, allow me to inject some common sense and a reality check into this superficial love-fest. I will phrase my questions to the Chinese members, but the mirror questions apply equally well to the Indian members.

- I see a lot of this fraternal feeling is based on a perceived mutual enmity of 'the white man', but what makes you think the Indian is any more trustworthy than the European? Surely it isn't based on some misplaced belief in Asian brotherhood -- not after what the Japanese, Chinese, Mongols, Cambodians, Indians, Arabs, etc. have all done to each other over the centuries.

- Whom exactly do you suppose the Indian military buildup is aimed at?

- There is almost no shared culture between China and India; they might as well be on separate continents.

- Anecdotal evidence about interaction with people from the other country is meaningless. Ordinary people are mostly decent, smart, hardworking, etc. from all countries. We are all human. It will have zero impact if there is a significant national security conflict between the nations.

- The only reason there hasn't been any significant clash of the two nations is purely an accident of history. The reason the Mongols spared India was because it was an insignificant backwater compared to the flourishing and rich Middle East.

- Geographically, there is absolutely nothing India can provide to China that it doesn't already get from Pakistan. In fact, considerably less, since alienating Pakistan will mean that China has to go the long way through the CARs to get to the Middle East. And neither Turkey nor Russia is going to let China get too comfortable in the CARs.

So, bottom line, China doesn't need India as an ally at all -- except to keep it from becoming a Western ally.

A very thought-provoking post!

From Chinese point of view, historical security threats have been from the north: Xiongnu in ancient times and Soviet in mordent time. Since 1800s, threats were from eastern seas, brought forth by Whites and the Japanese: Sino-Japanese wars, Opium wars, Korea war, and Sino-Soviet conflicts.

In a sharp contrast, from ancient time up to 1950s, there have been no major aggressions from the South in general and from Indian sub-continent in particular. There was a small conflict with one Indian tribe during Chinese Tang Dynasty, with victory went to Chinese-Nepal alliance.

From India side of history, China never invaded India before 1950s.

The above shows that there is no historical animosity between the two countries.

Culturally, the biggest religion in China, Buddhism, was originated from Nepal/India, and propagated to China, although the reason behind the flow of the religion from India to China was that Buddhists were prosecuted by Hinduism, as Buddhism rejects caste theory. Nonetheless, Chinese have been influenced by Indian culture in that sense. However, the reverse flow of culture seems small and insignificant.

Thus, probably we should not say that the two countries completely “share” a culture, as Buddhism is rejected by the people of India in general, and cultural flow from China to India is negligible. Yet, Chinese culture is indeed influenced by Indian culture.

So, there is no historical reason, nor cultural reason, why China and India can’t get along.

Problems only arise during modern time since British colonists occupied India and brain-washed Indians with their philosophies.

Western norms and British mentality influence Indian modern politicians that, why a small British could beat a vast India, this is because British is better than us, so we must learn from them, from head to heel, everything. So the results are:

a) Copy and paste British political system. Being fully brain-washed by British education, Indian forefathers forgot the fact that India and UK have completely different social soils for a social system to healthily grow, resulting in a most time rambunctious democracy.

b) Inherit British privileges as a second-hand imperialism, completely forgetting that it is those privileges that brought pains to Indian people and Chinese people; and that it is those privileges that cause India want to be independent.

c) Blindly believe that India’s copy of British democracy is superior than, thus should naturally beat and win over, an evil system such as communist Chinese system.

In summary, rambunctious democracy, second-hand imperialism mentality and a blind believing of their superiority (jingoism) on the Indian side, non-yielding will and lack of study of democratic system on the Chinese side, plus some other minor factors, cause the most modern-time conflicts between India and China.

A typical example is the 1962 war, where Nehru showed in many times his hesitation to provoke China too much, but was proud of being a British colonist heir, and was pushed by Indian jingoistic parliament members in the name of democracy, for “forwarding policy”.

Also, Ancient Chinese literature was highly influenced by Indian culture and Buddhism in particular. The most well-known example is "Journey to the West", where Sun Wukong and a Buddhist monk travel West to India, in order to obtain sacred Buddhist scrolls.

Journey to the West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Japanese then took our idea of the Monkey King, and turned it into Dragon Ball. The main character even has the exact same name as Sun Wukong, 孫悟空 (the Japanese pronounce it as Son Goku).

Buddy, I think the monkey is not the one to fetch Buddhism scripts, (he is not qualified, LOL!) but his master Tang Seng is. The monkey is only Tang's follower, a protector.

BTW, the monkey figure is also borrowed from India.

Last edited:
What border issues are you talking about?

Do you know we have an open border policy with Nepal and Bhutan? Their citizens can freely move into India and get all economic privleges

Why do you deny your problem with Nepal?

Living in a state of denial won't help solve the problems.

Please check out this thread and many others:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/strategic-geopolitical-issues/28538-indo-nepal-border-dispute-black-flags-greet-indian-foreign-secretary-menon-nepal.html

Open border is largely in India's advantage, so it may encroach the border.

The absence of landmarks onon the topographical maps on the Indian side across the Nepal India border has been the major reson behind the encroachment of Nepalese territories across the border...

http://www.nepaldemocracy.org/documents/treaties_agreements/nep_india_open_border.htm

Indo-Nepal border dispute: Black flags greet Indian foreign secretary Menon in Nepal

Open border is largely in India's advantage, so it may encroach the border.

Nepal police said about seven to eight young men, seemingly students, tried to show the visiting envoy black flags as he alighted at the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu.

:lol: (funny how the only legitimate source is ToI)

Nepal really hates us, doesn't it.

Do you know who the thread starter is? (Communist)

Do you know he's NOT a Nepali
(he claimed to be one, and it seems you fell for it)

Do you know he was questioned in Nepali by a Gurkha and got busted

Do you know, that he/she's was a pinoy working @50cents (who got banned because of false flag issues)

(btw Do you know even know who Gurkhas are? )

Do you now realize that you don't know anything about the subcontinent?

In a sharp contrast, from ancient time up to 1950s, there have been no major aggressions from the South in general and from Indian sub-continent in particular. There was a small conflict with one Indian tribe during Chinese Tang Dynasty, with victory went to Chinese-Nepal alliance.

Thats the Manchu-Qings not Tang empire.

there is no historical animosity between the two countries.

Acknowledged. Now let's turn to present and future relations.

Yet, Chinese culture is indeed influenced by Indian culture.

This is again ancient influence.
Mainstream contemporary Indian culture has little or nothing to do with ancient Buddhism, despite isolated and miniscule pockets of "revival".

Problems only arise during modern time since British colonists occupied India and brain-washed Indians with their philosophies.

Whatever the reasons, this is the India that China has to deal with, for better or for worse.

rambunctious democracy, second-hand imperialism mentality and a blind believing of their superiority (jingoism) on the Indian side, non-yielding will and lack of study of democratic system on the Chinese side, plus some other minor factors, cause the most modern-time conflicts between India and China.

Bingo!

And the present India is only going to get more nationalistic, more jingoistic and more ambitious regionally and globally as it gets more powerful.

The writing's on the wall. Does China read it?

I am not sure,as to ,what kind of relation India and China will share,but all i know for sure is that,it will be a matter of concern for the world and the world will be glancing at it.

Cuz the magnitude of India and China effectiveness nowadays is regularly rising at the Global level,so it will matter to the world as well.

Actually, I had an epiphany and realized what game China is playing with India. (India also knows exactly what is going on.)

Bottom line: Pakistan has absolutely nothing to fear. Our relationship with China is 100% safe. :pakistan::china:

Carry on, people... :pop:

I am not sure,as to ,what kind of relation India and China will share,but all i know for sure is that,it will be a matter of concern for the world and the world will be glancing at it.

Cuz the magnitude of India and China effectiveness nowadays is regularly rising at the Global level,so it will matter to the world as well.

No,no.Again,this is how you Indians to see the relation,not the Chinese nor the else of the world.So far,the most important relationship to China is the US China relatiuon which concerns Chinas trade and energy security.Next,I will name several equal important relations,like China to EU,Russia,Japan,South East Asian,Pakistan and Iran and other Arabian contries which are also important to Chinas trade and energy security.The China India relationshíp to us is no more important than China Nigeria relation.
Once again,the importance of India to China is somehow like`The moment I am busy,please dont bother to disrup'.We dont see you as a power of superpower.
As for China's south Asian policy,Pakistan plays the central role which is not only important for Chinas energy security,but also important as a long term ally.

I think Developereo grasped the point that if there is a rapprochment between China and India .Pakistan will be the first casuality as the Chinese may withdraw their CHIC-4 nukes and once done...The Chinese won't be fighting us to the last pakistani and so it wwill become a casuality to the pakistanis.
Then again one doesn't know

I think Developereo grasped the point that if there is a rapprochment between China and India .Pakistan will be the first casuality as the Chinese may withdraw their CHIC-4 nukes and once done...The Chinese won't be fighting us to the last pakistani and so it wwill become a casuality to the pakistanis.
Then again one doesn't know

China and Pakistan are solidly tied no matter what happens between China and India. That was my epiphany.

Hint: China and India will never have the kind of full trust that exists between China and Pakistan.

Developereo Pakistans only useful for the Chinese in containing India other than they don't care to hoots about the state of pakistan.To put you are nothing but a tool to them

Developereo Pakistans only useful for the Chinese in containing India other than they don't care to hoots about the state of pakistan.To put you are nothing but a tool to them

And how do you justify a statement like that? From the observation and post of many Pakistani and Chinese members I can see that the relations between between China and Pakistan is very different from the one between the US and India.

Back
Top Bottom