What's new

Chinese Foreign Affairs News & Discussions

"Dynamic duo", "pro-India tag team"... tell me why do you insist on these continuous insults.

I've explained it before and I'll explain it again, the reason why we have a problem with challenger is this:

1) He apologizes for Japanese war criminals, and said that the Imperial Japanese army was only trying to "liberate" China.
2) He calls us "Chinese Kommunist Dogs".
3) He cannot read or speak a single word of Chinese, yet he can somehow speak Hindi/Urdu.
4) He claims that Hans are not Chinese.

The Imperial Japanese Army butchered 20 million innocent Chinese civilians, so Chinese people will always react strongly to this issue.

Despite that, I did not insult you when you said that Japan would "dominate" Asia again, because you can praise who you want. Apparently you don't think I'm allowed to, but we'll let the forum rules decide that one.

Let it go. I don't mind the insults (and you're off ignore). This little argument is disrupting other construct threads.

Help me out here guys. Keep the arguments to PMs please! If you really want other's to read them you can PM them to me.

Let it go. I don't mind the insults (and you're off ignore). This little argument is disrupting other construct threads.

You're right, I'm just repeating myself, because I've said it before. More than once.

To get back on topic... I think we were most recently discussing Buddhism, and the cultural transfer that occurred over the Himalayas.

My family is mostly Buddhist, although I am personally atheist/agnostic. Most of the "pilgrimage" sites in the Buddhist system, are in India, however I think it is quite rare for your average Buddhist to go on a "pilgrimage".

There don't seem to be many direct flights between China and India, which is a shame because I think that there are many Buddhists in China who would like to travel to those locations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodh_Gaya

I agree we should bring this discussion back on topic, so I will simply close the side-discussion with this:

challenger

I don't like people talking behind other people's back, so you should leave him out of our discussion. Take it up with him directly.

Despite that, I did not insult you when you said that Japan would "dominate" Asia again

Please don't quote me out of context again. I said Japan could dominate Asia economically -- or share it with China. The only country I left out of my list was India, which seems to have annoyed some people... ;)

Most of the "pilgrimage" sites in the Buddhist system, are in India, however I think it is quite rare for your average Buddhist to go on a "pilgrimage".

That brings up an interesting point. Are Buddhists more like Muslims and Jews or Christians when it comes to pilgrimage? I know that Muslims and Jews put great emphasis on religious sites, but the average Christian doesn't seem too bothered. In the West I have found that it is Western converts to Buddhism who are more interested in the ancient sites than Asian Buddhists themselves.

That brings up an interesting point. Are Buddhists more like Muslims and Jews or Christians when it comes to pilgrimage? I know that Muslims and Jews put great emphasis on religious sites, but the average Christian doesn't seem too bothered.

That is your problem, you're looking at Buddhism thorough an Abrahamic prism and therefore can't comprehend how interconnected it is to Hinduism or other Dharmic belief systems

That is your problem, you're looking at Buddhism thorough an Abrahamic prism and therefore can't comprehend how interconnected it is to Hinduism or other Dharmic belief systems

Yes, Buddhism is very different compared to Abrahamic faiths.

The closest relation to Buddhism is, I believe, Hinduism.

Buddhism can be observed ALONGSIDE other religions without causing a problem. Buddhism is really just a guide on how to live your life, there are "recommendations" rather than "rules", like the Eightfold path for instance.

The closest relation to Buddhism is, I believe, Hinduism.

And Janism ;)

Jainism

btw I did'nt know us Jains were so unpopular :confused:

Infact the 'moderate' path in Buddhism is actually maintaining a balance between the strict practices of Jainism and the flamboyant rituals of Hinduism (that's what our textbooks taught us)

Buddhism can be observed ALONGSIDE other religions without causing a problem. Buddhism is really just a guide on how to live your life, there are "recommendations" rather than "rules", like the Eightfold path for instance.

That is probably true for all dharmic belief systems, they are more of a philosophy (although Hinduism is too diverse)

And Janism ;)

Jainism

btw I did'nt know us Jains were so unpopular :confused:

Infact the 'moderate' path in Buddhism is actually maintaining a balance between the strict practices of Jainism and the flamboyant rituals of Hinduism (that's what our textbooks taught us)

You're right of course, how could I forget about Jainism. :cheers:

I don't think Jains are unpopular at all, in fact I've only ever heard good things about them.

Also, can you tell me a bit about these "strict practices" vs "flamboyant rituals" etc?

What does that have to do with the question of whether Buddhists put emphasis on pilgrimage to religious sites?

That is probably true for all dharmic belief systems, they are more of a philosophy (although Hinduism is too diverse)

That is not true.
How can you believe in a Hindu god (one of many) and an Abrahamic God (singular) at the same time?

strict practices (Jainsm): Non Violence, ranging from strict vegetarianism to covering you mouth with cloth (avoiding insects), to avoiding boiled water (harm microbes. (for modren jains vegetarianism is enough). Actually I could go on, you can check wiki

Flamboyant rituals(Hinduism): myriad of expensive rituals and animals sacrifices to various gods, giving lots of gifts to bhramins

What does that have to do with the question of whether Buddhists put emphasis on pilgrimage to religious sites?

Because you're downgrading the presence (and influence) of Buddhism in India to mere tourist sites, and quoting % of Buddhists.

Because you're downgrading the presence (and influence) of Buddhism in India to mere tourist sites, and quoting % of Buddhists.

Ah, so you are countering quantifiable facts with vague generalizations.

Got it!

How can you believe in a Hindu god (one of many) and an Abrahamic God (singular) at the same time?

'Abrahamic God' ? I was talking about Dhramic religions, FYI Buddism rejects the concept of a creator and Jainism is atheistic (but not atheistic in the abrahamic sense ;) ) in nature.

Hinduism like a said is too diverse, one school of thought says god is one and has many incarnations, another is an atheistic school of thought (from which Buddhism and Jainism originated)
Ah, so you are countering quantifiable facts

That is the problem again, you're trying to quantify things, percentages etc. Won't work

I read that there are two main branches of Religion in the world.

1) Abrahamic religions e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism.

Abrahamic religions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) Dharmic/Indian religions e.g. Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikkism.

Indian religions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if this could lead to future problems... I remember reading something on the "clash of civilizations" that mentioned this point. Luckily, Dharmic/Indian religions can often be practised alongside other religions, so I don't really see it being a point of conflict in the world at large.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom