What's new

Chinese cars 'still below par'

I am surprised with all the talk about car manufacturing, no one has yet brought up what in my opinion is Mahindra's best bet in the long run - the e2o
mahindra-reva-e2o-03.jpg

mahindra-reva-e2o-01.jpg

mahindra-reva-e2o-04.jpg

It is an electric vehicle - something the world needs. Granted that the best innovation in electric cars has come from Tesla Motors in the US but this is quite astounding given that this car costs less than 1/5th of what a Tesla costs. Running costs is just 63 paise / km

Tata too has invested heavily in EVs. They are the future - not the gas guzzlers.

Interesting read from forbes

There are over 100 automakers in China compared to only two major American car companies today: General Motors and Ford. Shanghai Automotive is the country’s biggest by revenue: $33.6 billion in 2010. Geely Automotive is another major. It’s best known for the London taxi cabs it produces, and its 2010

Geely builds London's famous cabs.

acquisition of Volvo from Ford.

Still, China’s cars are far from winning the hearts and minds of the locals.

“We asked people about that: whether they would be open to buy a Chinese made luxury car instead of a foreign premium and forty percent said they were open to it,” says Sha Sha. “This is a market that’s five to 10 years away yet. China is very much an open market for the big global auto makers,” she says. “The bar for the locals is very high.”

In the world of passenger cars, China’s auto companies are where the Japanese were in the 1970s, or Korea in the late 1980s. Today, Toyota is the best selling car again in the U.S. It’s Lexus brand is one of the best selling luxury cars in the U.S. Hyundai’s Equus gets compared all the time to Lexus and Mercedes Benz in auto magazines.

“It’s going to take a lot of talent and a lot of really good management to bring China’s car companies on par with Japanese and Korean automakers,” says Kaas. The recent news that the government is saying it will buy cars from China original equipment makers (read: local brands) is a sign that Beijing is pushing for more global players to partner with the locals. GM, for instance, partners with Shanghai Automotive. There, Shanghai Automotive Group can copy a little bit there. Tweak a little bit here, for their home grown models.

“Not all Chinese automakers are going to go after the luxury segment,” says Sha Sha, citing Great Wall Motors as an example. They’ve got SUVs, sedans, pick-ups and minis.

Passenger cars or luxury, China is the powertrain for global auto makers now. They’re the powertrain now because the majors are looking into the future now, and the future for premium and standard passenger vehicles is in China.

“China is impacting investment decisions of these major car companies,” says Kaas. “The country matters a lot for corporate strategy. The industry has finite resources. Where do you want to invest it? Where do you want to focus your advertising?” he asks.

Though he thinks he has the answer: China.

The Norwegian guys post didnt show up in reply....so I didnt know. But I deleted my post already.

It talks about China as a Market.

Show me Chinese Companies, their Cars sold in Major Markets outside of low $10,000 market in China?

Reviews on Chinese Cars by reputed Auto magazines, websites?

I am surprised with all the talk about car manufacturing, no one has yet brought up what in my opinion is Mahindra's best bet in the long run - the e2o
mahindra-reva-e2o-03.jpg

mahindra-reva-e2o-01.jpg

mahindra-reva-e2o-04.jpg

It is an electric vehicle - something the world needs. Granted that the best innovation in electric cars has come from Tesla Motors in the US but this is quite astounding given that this car costs less than 1/5th of what a Tesla costs. Running costs is just 63 paise / km

Tata too has invested heavily in EVs. They are the future - not the gas guzzlers.

BS.

Electric Vehicles run on subsidy. Your and mine Tax payers money.

Gas Guzzling vehicles pay a lot of tax in excise, import duty and petrol tax!

Show me Chinese Companies, their Cars sold in Major Markets outside of low $10,000 market in China?

BS.

Electric Vehicles run on subsidy. Your and mine Tax payers money.

Gas Guzzling vehicles pay a lot of tax in excise, import duty and petrol tax!

Actually, they are only subsidized in Delhi - else you have to pay full market value. Gas guzzling vehicles depend on petrol which we have to import in ridiculously high quantities - we can generate electricity ourselves.

Chinese cars are sold in India if you are not aware of it. Heard of Chevrolet SAIL? A JV between GM and SAIC. SAIL is a Chinese car, developed and manufactured by China.

Yes - they did launch it in India - three SAIL cars - the Chevrolet Sail U-Va (a hatchback), the Sail sedan and the Chevrolet Enjoy. They are decent cars - anyhow, @Banana was asking that question to a Pakistani.

Last edited by a moderator:

China's vehicle exports top 1-million mark for first time[1]|chinadaily.com.cn

China car exports up 24% over January – April | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

Geely delivered 24,333 vehicles to more than 15 markets, including Azerbaijan, Russia, Ukraine, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Great Wall exports reached more than 22 markets, including Algeria, Angola, Australia, Bolivia, Columbia, Kenya, Israel, Russia and Ukraine

Chinese cars are sold in India if you are not aware of it. Heard of Chevrolet SAIL? A JV between GM and SAIC. SAIL is a Chinese car, developed and manufactured by China.

It sells because it is a Chevy.

Not SAIC. SAIC is just a sub-contractor for Chevy, Buick, Cadillac and now Opel.

Sail is built from GMs resources. Chinese brands would not even qualify to sell in India.

China's vehicle exports top 1-million mark for first time[1]|chinadaily.com.cn

China car exports up 24% over January – April | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

Geely delivered 24,333 vehicles to more than 15 markets, including Azerbaijan, Russia, Ukraine, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Great Wall exports reached more than 22 markets, including Algeria, Angola, Australia, Bolivia, Columbia, Kenya, Israel, Russia and Ukraine

Again Chery QQ and crap exported to most countries where such cars are God sent cars.

My point has always been Indian made cars are miles ahead of Chinese cars.

I am talking about Indian Companies and Chinese Companies.

Not JVs or foreign made cars.

Actually, they are only subsidized in Delhi - else you have to pay full market value. Gas guzzling vehicles depend on petrol which we have to import in ridiculously high quantities - we can generate electricity ourselves.

That is the key.

If no subsidies, who will buy electric vehicle.

Mahindra E20, I enquired from Andheri RTO - 9,00,000 INR OTR.

I can buy Amaze Top End, City Corporate edition OTR!

Again Chery QQ and crap exported to most countries where such cars are God sent cars.

My point has always been Indian made cars are miles ahead of Chinese cars.

I am talking about Indian Companies and Chinese Companies.

Not JVs or foreign made cars.

That is the key.

If no subsidies, who will buy electric vehicle.

Mahindra E20, I enquired from Andheri RTO - 9,00,000 INR OTR.

I can buy Amaze Top End, City Corporate edition OTR!

Thankfully not all Indian members are like you. At least they make sense.

what do you have to say about this guys comment?

You always have different opinions on the same issue
I thought democratic indians are long used to evaluating conflicting opinions, but no, far from it!

Each brand of Car in the world have their own representation.

If you wans slick, stylish supercar, you go for European
If you want Horse power drag racer, you go for American
If you want fuel for your mileage and maintenance proof, you go for Japanese car
If you want a cheap car, you go for Chinese

Chinese car is bad, honestly, but they are also cheap, you cannot expect for a price 10k cheaper and you have the same driving quality with Australian car

Just look at this you tube and you will see those Top gear guy rating Chinese car

Last edited by a moderator:
A quote from a T-Bhp member since I am not yet allowed to post links.

"When you guys returned from the drive and shared your observations, I was surprised. Don’t think any of us expected the Sail to be so darn competent. The 1.3L diesel, sheer space and awesome ride quality should win it many fans. Masses will love the light steering & neutral road behaviour too. Indeed, it’s an all-rounder of a family hatchback."

Back
Top Bottom