What's new

Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) News & Discussions

You are surely correct and I must apologize, however my excuse is simply that I only had a few minutes left before I had to go back to my pupils and the one thing that came into my mind instead of a long explanation - since it is only explainable in a longer way - was to post this link.

If you and other feel annoyed by this kind of posts I will refrain from doing so in the future.

I'm not annoyed. I just don't want to active in a forum, where all discussion will only going into a reference that somebody must buy in order to get an answer for their question.

Like, I have a question about the 055A. Then the answer will be "Oh, you want to know, then buy Rick Joe book. it's only 25 USD. Or Oh, you don't know yet, just read Jeff Head article. You need only to subscript for only 50 USD. Etc.

I welcome your book advertisement in here; because it still in the same context of the topic of this forum. And of course, buying and reading your book is also give a large benefit for Chinese fanboys like us. I also welcome you to create a thread about your book. To advertise it, to discuss it, Fan Gathering, anything about it; because it will enrich the materials that we can discuss in here. But still, a forum is a place for sharing information, and to learn about what we like; and discuss it, if we have the expertise to share (not trolling). Don't erase these three purpose from this forum.

Last edited:
China should learn from Su-57: experts
Source:Global Times Published: 2019/1/24 0:53:40

426ec28f-b2f6-4018-930b-57fce762bf3e.jpeg
A Russian Air Force Sukhoi Su-57 jet flies over Red Square during the Victory Day military parade in Moscow, Russia, on May 9, 2018. Photo: AP

Although many Chinese military observers are pessimistic over Russia's latest fighter jet Su-57's capability, a senior Chinese warplane designer believes the Su-57 has a very unique concept, and China should learn from it despite the country already operating the J-20 fighter.

The Su-57, Russia's fifth-generation fighter jet comparable to China's J-20 and the US' F-22, is usually considered not a true fifth-generation jet because of its "below-standard" stealth capability, according to media reports. This makes it at a significant disadvantage against Chinese and US counterparts, some military observers said.

China has a long tradition of purchasing Russian warplanes, recently highlighted by an Su-35 deal. But as the country developed its own fifth- generation fighter jet, it does not need to buy or even learn from the "below-standard" Su-57.

However, Wang Yongqing, chief designer of the Shenyang Aircraft Design Institute (SADI) under the State-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), said the Su-57's overall capability is not bad at all.

The SADI has developed a variety of China's fighter jets, including the J-11, J-15 and J-16. It is currently developing the FC-31 stealth fighter, which is made-for-export but was recently reported that it could become China's next-generation aircraft carrier-based warplane.

Having an innovative aerodynamic design and capable of thrust vectoring control, the Su-57 attaches strong importance to supersonic cruise capability and super-maneuverability, and stealth is intentionally a second priority, Wang wrote in February in the Aerospace Knowledge magazine.

The US' concept of next-generation aerial battle stresses beyond visual range attacks, but missiles capable of delivering such attacks have to travel for a while, a time window far enough for the Su-57 to make super-maneuvers and evade them, Wang said, noting that the Russian fighter is also equipped with special radars designed to detect the precise location of incoming missiles.

With long-range missiles out of the question, the final showdown will eventually take place at close range, where stealth loses its meaning and super-maneuverability thrives, Wang said.

Another unique design is the world's first side-facing radars in addition to the front-facing ones, Wang said. Combined with other radars and infrared sensors, the Su-57 is expected to find enemy stealth aircraft as early as possible.

Russia might be limited by its industrial capability and might not be able to rival the US aircraft in specific or overall performance, but its concept is very unique, Wang said.

I'm not annoyed. I just don't want to active in a forum, where all discussion will only going into a reference that somebody must buy in order to get an answer for their question.

Like, I have a question about the 055A. Then the answer will be "Oh, you want to know, then buy Rick Joe book. it's only 25 USD. Or Oh, you don't know yet, just read Jeff Head article. You need only to subscript for only 50 USD. Etc.

I welcome your book advertisement in here; because it still in the same context of the topic of this forum. And of course, buying and reading your book is also give a large benefit for Chinese fanboys like us. I also welcome you to create a thread about your book. To advertise it, to discuss it, Fan Gathering, anything about it; because it will enrich the materials that we can discuss in here. But still, a forum is a place for sharing information, and to learn about what we like; and discuss it, if we have the expertise to share (not trolling). Don't erase these three purpose from this forum.
Exactly. If he (or anybody else) don't want to reply, then it is okay too.

the Su-57 attaches strong importance to supersonic cruise capability and super-maneuverability, and stealth is intentionally a second priority

Major mistake, as demonstrated by the complete dominance of 5th-generation platforms over legacy ones during China's own "Red Sword" exercises, which was almost exclusively due to the J-20's VLO characteristics.

Another unique design is the world's first side-facing radars in addition to the front-facing ones

As per the manufacturer of the KLJ-7A radar (NRIET), the J-20 and J-16 both have side-facing arrays.

Russia might be limited by its industrial capability and might not be able to rival the US aircraft in specific or overall performance, but its concept is very unique, Wang said.

Uniqueness isn't nearly as important as being able to fulfill an air force's mission requirements. It will take time to realize how the Su-57 fits into the RuAF's doctrine.

Pardon, but what do we see?

Oh, i am sorry. Well, Andy's blog used to monitor airfields with possible UGFs. Dude lives in China.
He said Dongbeitun airfield (in Dongbei Village at the northeast, NTC) is an abandoned airfield that is inactive for more than a decade now. Suitable for PLARF's use though with 15m gates to hide missile trucks. Trucks are still going to/from there which makes it still active in that manner.

He had 2 more images:

Neixiang AFB (CTC) is a new airfield, suitable for an air brigade in the near future.
upload_2019-1-25_21-43-38.png

Fengning AFB (CTC) is an inactive base north of Beijing but still has a UGF (probably inactive as well)
upload_2019-1-25_21-43-53.png

Last one was an Army Aviation detachment's airbase at the southside of Qinghai Lake - Gonghe/Qukenacun AB. Maybe of the 76th GA. He suspected a UGF in the north but it is unlikely since UGFs for Army are useless. Nobody cares about some choppers :)

Oh, i am sorry. Well, Andy's blog used to monitor airfields with possible UGFs. Dude lives in China.
He said Dongbeitun airfield (in Dongbei Village at the northeast, NTC) is an abandoned airfield that is inactive for more than a decade now. Suitable for PLARF's use though with 15m gates to hide missile trucks. Trucks are still going to/from there which makes it still active in that manner.

He had 2 more images:

Neixiang AFB (CTC) is a new airfield, suitable for an air brigade in the near future.
View attachment 535133

Fengning AFB (CTC) is an inactive base north of Beijing but still has a UGF (probably inactive as well)
View attachment 535134

Last one was an Army Aviation detachment's airbase at the southside of Qinghai Lake - Gonghe/Qukenacun AB. Maybe of the 76th GA. He suspected a UGF in the north but it is unlikely since UGFs for Army are useless. Nobody cares about some choppers :)

Thanks a lot... but who is Andy or his blog?

He had 2 more images:

View attachment 535133

View attachment 535134

Oh this information is actually dangerous indeed. Although I like Chinese Military news. But this is more than about J-10 and J-20. It's more about tactic and secret. A hidden card that shouldn't be revealed in public.

But..., after thinking about it more. It's actually good news for PLA. Without this kind of leak; they will think that their method is perfect. hence won't try harder and be more creatively to erase their track. With this Andy Block, at least they have second opinion that at least, if Andy is capable to reveal their track, then CIA is able too. Thus, they have to become better in hiding their tail.

Last edited:
Anry's blog is inactive for a year now (maybe more). He used to monitor airfields around the world with UGFs. His blog was an amateur blog in the pashto language based on google earth and without too much explantions. That's why it is not a secret and just as normal as other observers (such as Deino) do. Anyway...his blog is dead and link doesn't work so these are just some stuff i managed to collect for fun.
I found two more images in relation to China:

upload_2019-1-26_11-59-31.png

upload_2019-1-26_12-0-5.png

Deino, do you know anything about those airfields? (all the 6 i have mentioned)

Back
Top Bottom