What's new

Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) News & Discussions

img-2a96384536beedc0d012029a99d8a7f0.jpg

https://m.weibo.cn/2859620437/4325458684175023

Again a new Air Brigade confirmed. This time the former 52nd AR, 18th Fighter Division based at Wuhan/Shanpo flying J-7II was reestablished as the 52nd Air Brigade now flying J-7G.

View attachment 530714

Why are they reestablished a brigade with old jet fighter type? What happen to J-10, J-11, or other newer Jet Fighter?

Last edited:
Why are they reestablished a brigade with old jet fighter type? What happen to J-10, J-11, or other newer Jet Fighter?

I think that's because they are experiencing rapid expansion and want to maximize the number of pilots as quickly as possible. So they choose to make pilots out number qualified planes in order to have a large reserve which can quickly transition to battle ready in large amount once the planes are available.

Yes I have read about some western commentary that sites the lower in comparison flying hours of pilots for the PLAAF. Perhaps it is due to a higher rate of manufacturing, outstripping the rate of pilots being trained and qualified. It would make more sense that if the pilot training flight hours increased (based on established curriculum for air combat tactics), then it would be logical to assume that PLAAF pilots would have higher efficiency in fighting. Of course the issue here isn't quality, rather quantity without sacrificing quality. That is what PLAAF would be aiming for. I sure do hope that one day we can witness large scale air warfare exercizes held with China, Russia, Pakistan and the Central Asian States. Where combined air forces of all participating countries, form tactics to achieve greater proficiency and work to fight as coordinated units.

Yes I have read about some western commentary that sites the lower in comparison flying hours of pilots for the PLAAF. Perhaps it is due to a higher rate of manufacturing, outstripping the rate of pilots being trained and qualified. It would make more sense that if the pilot training flight hours increased (based on established curriculum for air combat tactics), then it would be logical to assume that PLAAF pilots would have higher efficiency in fighting. Of course the issue here isn't quality, rather quantity without sacrificing quality. That is what PLAAF would be aiming for. I sure do hope that one day we can witness large scale air warfare exercizes held with China, Russia, Pakistan and the Central Asian States. Where combined air forces of all participating countries, form tactics to achieve greater proficiency and work to fight as coordinated units.
The western are using statistic 10years ago. Current PLAAF pilot flying times is on par , if not surplass western. Imagine a Su-27SK need to decommission few years ago as the airframe is exhausted. While other countries like some former Soviet states still flying the old su-27SK. Even quite new JH-7A also decommission due high usage of hours. Not to mention the large amount of JL-9 and JL-10 advance trainer enter service for the high usage demand.

Quite interesting report if true posted at the SDF:

If the "other" fighter mentioned refers to the J-10B-TVC, then this could either be the known J-20 or a Flanker derivative - given that this poster is indeed related to SAC?

What do you think?
Deino

I would say that it could be an improved and upgraded variant of the J-11s? Is a possibility, unless of course the WS-15s are ready and the J-20 now has TVC. But wouldn't that be a big news? Or is it to be the J-31s which would have the new TVNs like the J-10B has.

Any details regarding the Airforce Bases reorganization? I know about Shanghai Base for example that consist several brigades but it seems ETC should have more Bases otherwise some brigades will be independent. More specifically Air Divisions which are yet to be reorganized.

I'm not against some advertisement. But should the questions in this forum lead into a promotion of a book? Should the only place that people can get an answer is by buying a book? Shouldn't a forum is a place to share knowledge and information? I don't mind people advertise their book here, as long as it's in the context. Like Deino book. But it shouldn't limit the function of our forum as a sharing of information that has become the reason why people come here.

Last edited:
I'm not against some advertisement. But should the questions in this forum lead into a promotion of a book? Should the only place that people can get an answer is by buying a book? Shouldn't a forum is a place to share knowledge and information? I don't mind people advertise their book here, as long as it's in the context. Like Deino book. But it shouldn't limit the function of our forum as a sharing of information that has become the reason why people come here.
That is also true. I have read Deino's book too and he is amazing but he must not forget he got much of its data thank to this forum...

And for the question itself, i am more curious about the bases of the CTC. Is there a Wuhan Base and Beijing Base? or is the reorganization have yet to happen there? Most of CTC airbases belong to the Academies.

You are surely correct and I must apologize, however my excuse is simply that I only had a few minutes left before I had to go back to my pupils and the one thing that came into my mind instead of a long explanation - since it is only explainable in a longer way - was to post this link.

If you and other feel annoyed by this kind of posts I will refrain from doing so in the future.

Back
Top Bottom