What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

Pictures of the new improved "Taihang high - thrust military turbofan engine" at the Air Show China
太行改进型大推力军用涡扇发动机
HRliqIm.jpg
9dXGnNx.jpg
v2EJw3n.jpg

Close up pictures
kRCQPCG.jpg
XgPXC1b.jpg

is there any ws-13 supercruise project going on to power FC-31???? i heard from a very strong source from china

WS-10A, a version rarely entered service.

Based on ( @grey boy 2 ) post # 333 ... ... ( Thousands Thanks to @grey boy 2 -- for all your Awesome Pictures )

Sorry, @星海军事 ... ...
WS-10A engines have Gear Box on Top for J-11 series.

Is that a mistake or ... ... you meant ( WS-10B ) ... ( Gear Box @ Bottom for J-10 - A, B, C ) ??

Last edited:
is there any ws-13 supercruise project going on to power FC-31???? i heard from a very strong source from china

The ability to "supercruise" does not come from the engine alone, but rather a combination of thrust-to-weight ratio and aerodynamics (low drag coefficient). The FC-31's intended engine, the WS-13E, was reportedly test-flown on the V1.0 prototype on July 1, 2016.

Rarely means at least a few are operational ?? ... Do You know on what type - I presume a Flanker ? - and maybe even within what unit?
J-10 1004, I suppose

Based on ( @grey boy 2 ) post # 333 ... ... ( Thousands Thanks to @grey boy 2 -- for all your Awesome Pictures )

Sorry, @星海军事 ... ...
WS-10A engines have Gear Box on Top for J-11 series.

Is that a mistake or ... ... you meant ( WS-10B ) ... ( Gear Box @ Bottom for J-10 - A, B, C ) ??
Only WS-10 and WS-10B possess upper casings.

@星海军事 @Deino

Many thanks for your efforts.

By < Upper Casing > ... ... did you mean engine Gearbox ?

I thought -- it has been widely accepted that WS-10 / TaiHang engines
designation for all iterations are ... ...

1.) WS-10A is using Top / Upper Gearbox for Flankers.
2.) WS-10B is using Bottom Gearbox for J-10 A, B, C

Does PLAAF use this kind of TaiHang engine designation as shown below ?

WS-10A-G1 and WS-10B-G1 --- G = Gai = Iteration
WS-10A-G2 and WS-10B-G2
WS-10A-G3 and WS-10B-G3
G1, G2, G3 = version ( 1, 2, 3, ... ... and so on )

Last edited:
J-10 1004, I suppose

But that does not make sense !??? ... the J-10A 1004 is as far as I know long retired, so why testing the latest upgrade of the WS-10 in the probably oldest available J-10A ? Wouldn't be at first a twin-engine design a much better testbed ?

Only WS-10 and WS-10B possess upper casings.

That too contradicts all we know: The WS-10A is clearly the one used by the Flanker versions and this one has the upper-mounted gear-box.

Deino

@星海军事 @Deino

Many thanks for your efforts.

By < Upper Casing > ... ... did you mean engine Gearbox ?

I thought -- it has been widely accepted that WS-10 / TaiHang engines
designation for all iterations are ... ...

1.) WS-10A is using Top / Upper Gearbox for Flankers.
2.) WS-10B is using Bottom Gearbox for J-10 A, B, C

Does PLAAF use this kind of TaiHang engine designation as shown below ?

WS-10A-G1 and WS-10B-G1 --- G = Gai = Iteration
WS-10A-G2 and WS-10B-G2
WS-10A-G3 and WS-10B-G3
G1, G2, G3 = version ( 1, 2, 3, ... ... and so on )

No. But there are WS-10B1, WS-10B2 ...

But that does not make sense !??? ... the J-10A 1004 is as far as I know long retired, so why testing the latest upgrade of the WS-10 in the probably oldest available J-10A ? Wouldn't be at first a twin-engine design a much better testbed ?

That too contradicts all we know: The WS-10A is clearly the one used by the Flanker versions and this one has the upper-mounted gear-box.

Deino
I think, by latest upgrade of the WS-10, you mean WS-10B.

Back
Top Bottom