What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

O.k. now I see my fault !

so in consequence the was or is some sort of family:

- at first the plain and simple original WS-10, which was tested in the J-11A (sometimes designated J-11WS-testbed)
- then the first operational one was the WS-10A with usually the gear-box mounted on top and used operationally on the J-11B/BS, J-16 .... this WS-10A was also tested on the J-10A 1004 with the modified gearbox on the bottom.
Are these then called WS-10A1 and A2 ???
- and now the same with the modified WS-10B; again with a WS-10B1 for the Flankers (gear-box on top) and WS-10B2 (gear box bottom) ??

In essence the rumoured 14t WS-10 should then be some sort of WS-10C ... Or am I wrong?

Deino

- then the first operational one was the WS-10A with usually the gear-box mounted on top and used operationally on the J-11B/BS, J-16 .... this WS-10A was also tested on the J-10A 1004 with the modified gearbox on the bottom.
Are these then called WS-10A1 and A2 ???

Gearbox of WS-10A is beneath the cowl, so WS-10As are only suitable for J-10 family.

- and now the same with the modified WS-10B; again with a WS-10B1 for the Flankers (gear-box on top) and WS-10B2 (gear box bottom) ??
Right. WS-10B2 is designed for J-10 family, though it is not mature yet.

In essence the rumoured 14t WS-10 should then be some sort of WS-10C ... Or am I wrong?
WS-10IPE

@星海军事

To confirm that I understand your explanation on TaiHang engine designations ... ...

1.) < WS-10 with Gearbox on the top >. -- Is that right ?

2.) < WS-10-A with Gearbox on the bottom >. -- Is that right ?

2.) < WS-10-B1 with Gearbox on the top >. -- Is that right ?

3.) < WS-10-B2 with Gearbox on the bottom >. -- Is that right ?

***WS-10-IPE

4.) What does < IPE > abbreviate / stand for ?

5.) Where is the gearbox location of WS-10-IPE ? -- Bottom or Top ??

Many Thanks before hand.

1.) < WS-10 with Gearbox on the top >. -- Is that right ?

2.) < WS-10-A with Gearbox on the bottom >. -- Is that right ?

2.) < WS-10-B1 with Gearbox on the top >. -- Is that right ?

3.) < WS-10-B2 with Gearbox on the bottom >. -- Is that right ?

Right. Major performances of WS-10A is the same as WS-10.

***WS-10-IPE

4.) What does < IPE > abbreviate / stand for ?

5.) Where is the gearbox location of WS-10-IPE ? -- Bottom or Top ??

Improved Performance Engine. Maybe there will be two versions of WS-10IPE too.

Gearbox of WS-10A is beneath the cowl, so WS-10As are only suitable for J-10 family.

Just finally to be sure ... so the "standard" Taihang installed in the first J-11B fighters was not the WS-10A but plain and simple the WS-10 ?

Thanks again,
Deino

Improved Performance Engine. Maybe there will be two versions of WS-10IPE too.

My own guess is ( WS-10-IPE ) with gearbox on the Top will be produced first.
Hence, all those PLAAF Flankers can patrol the ECS and SCS more efficiently ( less refueling ).

In your opinion, ... ...

1.) Which version will be produced first ( WS-10-IPE ) with gearbox on the Bottom or the Top ?

2.) WS-15 gearbox -- will it be located at the Top or Bottom ?

Many Thanks before hand.

Picture of alleged * WS-15 with gearbox on the Top
WS-15--Top Gears Box--1b.jpg

WS-15 gearbox --Top

Hmmm ... but if the WS-15 is specifically designed for the J-20 and will have a gear-box mounted on top, then the current AL-31 used in the current J-20s cannot be a FN !???

That actually surprises me, since after the Flanker - as far as I know - no recent Chinese fighter uses the Russian system with the gear-bog on top. The J-10, the JF-17 and also the FC-31 use engines with the Western style gear-box on the bottom.
Or will the first WS-15 simply need the gear-box on top since they will be tested on a flanker at first???

Deino

... Picture of alleged * WS-15 with gearbox on the Top
View attachment 349828

But isn't this only the WS-15's core ?? ... as far as I understand this image, the gear-box isn't shown in the image.

@星海军事

What is the current status of the WS-10IPE (rumors have it that it is being tested aboard an aerial platform)? Is it slated for fighters like the J-10D, J-11D, J-16?

Back
Top Bottom