What's new

China's supercomputer to be open to foreign clients

Brotherhood

Reaction score
China's supercomputer to be open to foreign clients - People's Daily Online November 18, 2010

P201011171500131313319271.jpg

Jack Dongarra (L), co-author of the Top 500 supercomputers list and professor of University of Tennessee, introduces the list during a ceremony officially announcing the Top 500 list, in New Orleans, Louisana, the United States, Nov. 16, 2010. Tianhe-1A, a NUDT YH Cluster System at the center, is ranked No. 1 among the 36th edition of the World's TOP 500 Supercomputers with 2.566 PFlop/s Linpack Performance. (Xinhua/Zhang Jun)

P201011171500437659460024.jpg

Liu Guangming, director of China's National Supercomputer Center in Tianjin, speaks during a ceremony officially annoucing the Top 500 list, in New Orleans, Louisana, the United States, Nov. 16, 2010. Tianhe-1A, a NUDT YH Cluster System at the center, is ranked No. 1 among the 36th edition of the World's TOP 500 Supercomputers with 2.566 PFlop/s Linpack Performance. (Xinhua/Zhang Jun)

P201011171501101232851368.jpg

Undated photo shows the Tianhe-1A, a NUDT YH Cluster System in Tianjin, China. Tianhe-1A, a NUDT YH Cluster System at China's National Supercomputer Center in Tianjin, is ranked No. 1 among the 36th edition of the World's TOP 500 Supercomputers with 2.566 PFlop/s Linpack Performance. (Xinhua)

The world's fastest supercomputer, Tianhe-1A, based in North China's Tianjin municipality, will be available to international clients in the future, although its current clients are mainly domestic.

Li Nan, chief project manager of Tianhe-1A, made the remarks at a press conference on Wednesday in Tianjin, after the supercomputer was recognized at a computer industry conference in New Orleans, the United States, on Tuesday.

Tianhe-1A, which can perform 2.57 quadrillion computing operations per second, topped the 36th edition of the world's top 500 supercomputers list, the first time a Chinese supercomputer has taken the honor.

It was followed by the former No 1 system, the US-made Cray XT5 "Jaguar" at the US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility in Tennessee.

The Jaguar system performs at 1.75 quadrillion operations a second, significantly slower than Tianhe-1A, while running Linpack, the benchmark used to officially determine the speed of supercomputers.

The calculation amount per hour of Tianhe-1A is equal to the one calculated by 1.3 billion Chinese people together for 340 years," Li said.

"The supercomputer is not only a great achievement by China, but also a boost to the development of science and technology for mankind."

After the official confirmation of its superiority, Tianhe-1A has attracted the attention of international supercomputing experts and some companies, which have expressed strong interest in cooperating with Tianhe-1A in the future, Li said.

Located in the National Supercomputing Center in Tianjin, Tianhe-1A's services have been offered to more than 20 clients in a variety of application areas, such as oil exploration, weather forecasting, high-end equipment development, bio-medical research, exploitation of new energy sources and new materials, engineering design and simulation analysis.

Among the clients, there are not only domestic institutions and companies but also joint ventures such as Tianjin Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co Ltd.

There will be more such cooperation in the future, and the supercomputer will be available for international clients, Li said.

Tianhe-1A is estimated to have cost 600 million yuan ($90.4 million) and was developed by the Changsha-based National University of Defense Technology.

"The key to the high performance of Tianhe-1A is the hybrid architecture of the integration of the CPUs and GPUs (Graphics Processing Units)," said Yang Xuejun, Tianhe-1A's chief designer and a professor at the National University of Defense Technology.

Although Tianhe-1A has become the world's most powerful supercomputer, experts said China is still behind developed countries in the research and production of core electronic devices and software.

Qian Depei, team leader of Program 863, the high-performance computer section of China's national high-tech development project, initiated in March 1986, said China is still weak in the technologies involved in central processors, system software and computing methods.

"Its (Tianhe-1A's) CPUs and GPUs were from the US, the former by Intel and the latter by Nvidia," said Jack Dongarra, a member of the US National Academy of Engineering and supervisor of the Top 500 list.

Xinhua contributed to this story.

By Bao Daozu, China Daily

India is always comparing herself to China :

Well Who compared India with China In Supercomputing??? Well If it is That China has the ability to make faster supercomputers, Its there need, We had Faster supercomputers than China, But now they are ahead as they need faster Super computers for there needs. When India feels The Need India Would Make One too.....

BTW Does Pakistan Manufacture atleast a Simple Computer??

In 2007 EKA was the fastest Supercomputer in Asia and 4th fastest In the World.... Computational Research Laboratories is indulged In making an Even better one

Last edited:
Well Who compared India with China In Supercomputing??? Well If it is That China has the ability to make faster supercomputers, Its there need, We had Faster supercomputers than China, But now they are ahead as they need faster Super computers for there needs. When India feels The Need India Would Make One too.....

In 2007 EKA was the fastest Supercomputer in Asia and 4th fastest In the World.... Computational Research Laboratories is indulged In making an Even better one

topping the list this time is good news but lets wait till we top the list with our own chips then we'll really celebrate

topping the list this time is good news but lets wait till we top the list with our own chips then we'll really celebrate

Well, I do not know, Indeed You are correct... But hey most of the Indian Supercomputers Use Pentium Chip Including the Eka... The Father of Pentium Chip is Vinod Dham an Indian Ofcourse....

But I do Agree that we need to build Indigenous Chips inorder to compare...

Well, I do not know, Indeed You are correct... But hey most of the Indian Supercomputers Use Pentium Chip Including the Eka... The Father of Pentium Chip is Vinod Dham an Indian Ofcourse....

But I do Agree that we need to build Indigenous Chips inorder to compare...

Yep, you are right, even Nvidia was founded by a Chinese from Taiwan, yet this is not our achievement, what matter is something being built in our own country. :china:

Yep, you are right, even Nvidia was founded by a Chinese from Taiwan, yet this is not our achievement, what matter is something being built in our own country. :china:

Indeed, But Its Based on the requirement isnt it?? One makes supercomputer based on his needs, not for competition isnt it??

Supercomputer "Nebulae" now running in Shenzhen - People's Daily OnlineNovember 19, 2010

The China-made supercomputer "Nebulae" is now operational in the National Supercomputing Center in Shenzhen, according to the Dawning Information Industry Co.

The Dawning "Nebulae," which is developed and produced by the Dawning Tianjin Industrial Base, was officially released in June 1 this year, with the measured Linpack performance of 1.27 petaflop-per second.

The Dawning "Nebulae" holds the third place on the 36th list of top 500 supercomputers in the world, which was published on Nov.17, 2010.

It is understood that the National Supercomputing Center in Shenzhen is the largest national technological infrastructure in Shenzhen City.

By Yan Meng, People's Daily Online

We are comparing Pakistan to india here ....Indians like to compare themselves with chinese and here my friend u are compared to them now Y do u feel insecure ............comparing urself to china.

We are comparing Pakistan to india here ....Indians like to compare themselves with chinese and here my friend u are compared to them now Y do u feel insecure ............comparing urself to china.

I was Indeed Comparing with the Chinese, My Chinese Friends By themselves said We will Compare ones we make the Chips Indigenously.... Well Why are U so Concenred about both of Ours Growth, we obviously know where to compare and Where not to, I dont think Pakistan has any room available to sneak in....Atleast till 2007 we had the fastest supercomputer in Asia....Now the Chinese Have it.... its Goes on and On

Even though the Chips Used In Both Our Supercomputers are Found By an Indian(Pentium) and Chinese(Nvidia ) Its cannot be called Indigenous...

But Hey its Not me who started it, see the Second Post of this thread Mr....

I was Indeed Comparing with the Chinese, My Chinese Friends By themselves said We will Compare ones we make the Chips Indigenously.... Well Why are U so Concenred about both of Ours Growth, we obviously know where to compare and Where not to, I dont think Pakistan has any room available to sneak in....Atleast till 2007 we had the fastest supercomputer in Asia....Now the Chinese Have it.... its Goes on and On

Even though the Chips Used In Both Our Supercomputers are Found By an Indian(Pentium) and Chinese(Nvidia ) Its cannot be called Indigenous...

But Hey its Not me who started it, see the Second Post of this thread Mr....

I hope you stick with facts. Here is a list of super computer in June 2007: TOP500 List - June 2007 (1-100) | TOP500 Supercomputing Sites

Japan and China are on the list. India is not.

And here is the list of 2006
TOP500 List - June 2006 (1-100) | TOP500 Supercomputing Sites

Again, India is not on the list while Japan and China are.

So where did your statement come from? Anyways, can we get off the India this India that topic now?

I hope you stick with facts. Here is a list of super computer in June 2007: TOP500 List - June 2007 (1-100) | TOP500 Supercomputing Sites

So where did your statement come from? Anyways, can we get off the India this India that topic now?

Wait For me to Give u some Links Buddy....these are the Sources of 2007..... Have a Go through, well if u claim it to b wrong, if proven I would love to correct myself

Asia's fastest supercomputer is "EKA"
TATA?S EKA: The Asia?s Fastest Supercomputer | Stock Watch
Asia's fastest supercomputer props up Indian animation | Bollywood.com : Entertainment news, movie, music and fashion reviews
Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > Tata EKA Supercomputer 4th Fastest

I think conworldus was talking about the "world ranking" and you were referring to the "Asia ranking" so that cause the confusing argument.

Back
Top Bottom