What's new

China's meager aid to the Philippines could dent its image

Gambit can only spew criticism here because it's FREE, i bet he donated $0. We don't hear others criticize India, or calling the Indians greedy.
It's simple take it or leave it, China has made the offer. If others think it's a meager aid, why don't they make some donations themselves?

I said I like the US, you're making it look like I hate the US. You couldn't be more wrong.
There is no need for you to try to mask the contradiction of you, a Chinese being in the US, by saying you 'like' US.

Hey at least I can use my own country to argue with you, I don't have to choose another country to argue like you do being a Vietnamese using the US. You know you can't use Vietnam to hate on China because Vietnam is weak so you use the US to spew your anger and frustration at us.
The problem with this line of insult is that it does not work. My country of allegiance is not Viet Nam but the US. I am a US citizen.

The thing is, most Asian countries hate us because we are big and privileged, so ethnic Asians like yourself just hate China because our of status compared to other Asian countries and our sheer importance to this planet. Not to mention the depth of our history.

You being Vietnamese feel like inferior beings next to Chinese. I really don't understand why Asians have such anger towards China? What did we do? Is it because we marry non-Chinese women in
Asia? Is it because we take our land from foreign occupation?
Or is it that tall poppy syndrome that when you are big, you get more hate.

Since you can't use your Vietnam to put down China, the only option you have is to use the US to hate on China.

Asians like you need to realise that despite all our faults, we are the guardian of Asia (whether anyone likes it or not) just like the US is the guardian of the west.
It is the typical Chinese arrogance and racist attitudes that often repeatedly demonstrated here that made other Asians leery of China. Lee Kwan Yew told Deng straight to Deng's face that all of Asia were fed up with China's attempt to use overseas Chinese to export communism by way of racial ties. And thank you for further confirming that racist attitude here. 
Gambit can only spew criticism here because it's FREE, i bet he donated $0. We don't hear others criticize India, or calling the Indians greedy.
It's simple take it or leave it, China has made the offer. If others think it's a meager aid, why don't they make some donations themselves?
So much for that 'high Chinese IQ' we are tired of hearing. The issue is not of individual donations but of what each country donated.

There is no need for you to try to mask the contradiction of you, a Chinese being in the US, by saying you 'like' US.

The problem with this line of insult is that it does not work. My country of allegiance is not Viet Nam but the US. I am a US citizen.

It is the typical Chinese arrogance and racist attitudes that often repeatedly demonstrated here that made other Asians leery of China. Lee Kwan Yew told Deng straight to Deng's face that all of Asia were fed up with China's attempt to use overseas Chinese to export communism by way of racial ties. And thank you for further confirming that racist attitude here. 

So much for that 'high Chinese IQ' we are tired of hearing. The issue is not of individual donations but of what each country donated.

:lol: chillax dude.

What the hell are you talking about? What Chinese arrogance? What racist attitudes?

Please give a few examples. I want to know why a Vietnamese man gets so angry at China. Is it because we ruled over Vietnam? Is is because we marry your women?

Well what is it? How am I supposed to know what you mean when you don't give specifics.

Did a Chinese man beat you up? Did a Chinese man cheat with your wife (if you have one)?

Come on Shermi, I'm getting tired of your games mate. Let it rip, don't sugar coat it son.

What has China done to YOU, to have such an unhealthy hatred of China?

Okay let me ask you a question. If the US decides to attack Vietnam, you would join the US Army to kill your own brothers and sisters? Please be honest and answer.

Okay let me ask you a question. If the US decides to attack Vietnam, you would join the US Army to kill your own brothers and sisters? Please be honest and answer.

Not just that, but if the US military asked him to use depleted uranium on Vietnamese people (considering its horrific effects), would he do it?

Please answer honestly Gambit.

Yes.

You think using the loaded words 'brothers and sisters' would deter me? Ever heard of the Japanese-American 442nd Regimental Combat Team ? Yes, they were ultimately deployed to the European theater, but all of them would not hesitate to fight against Imperial Japan. Same for German-Americans in WW II against Nazi Germany.

That is pathetic.

Now I will ask you a question but I doubt you have the courage to answer.

If China orders you to commit espionage against Canada in the name of racial solidarity, would you obey? 
:lol: chillax dude.

What the hell are you talking about? What Chinese arrogance? What racist attitudes?

Please give a few examples. I want to know why a Vietnamese man gets so angry at China. Is it because we ruled over Vietnam? Is is because we marry your women?

Well what is it? How am I supposed to know what you mean when you don't give specifics.

Did a Chinese man beat you up? Did a Chinese man cheat with your wife (if you have one)?

Come on Shermi, I'm getting tired of your games mate. Let it rip, don't sugar coat it son.

What has China done to YOU, to have such an unhealthy hatred of China?
It must sucks to be you, a Chinese living in America. You try to present the US in the worst possible light while knowing that everything you interpreted are falsehoods.

Last edited:
Not just that, but if the US military asked him to use depleted uranium on Vietnamese people (considering its horrific effects), would he do it?

Please answer honestly Gambit.
How about you guys supporting a war against Taiwan, Chinese killing Chinese, even to the point that some of you advocate 'nuking' Taiwan? Nothing unusual about that, right?

Americans seems to be doing a better job at helping the people in the Philippines then helping their own people in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. 
How about you guys supporting a war against Taiwan, Chinese killing Chinese, even to the point that some of you advocate 'nuking' Taiwan? Nothing unusual about that, right?

You think that a handful of people posting on a internet forum represent the views of a entire nation or the government ?

China to Philippines: Here, Have a Measly $100,000 in Aid
The world's second largest economy off-loads insultingly small change on a storm-battered Philippines

By Hannah BeechNov. 13, 2013

philippines_aid_1113.jpg

The U.S. has promised $20 million in aid for victims of Supertyphoon Haiyan in the Philippines and has mobilized an aircraft carrier for the relief effort. Britain is also sending a warship and has pledged $16 million. The Vatican is dispatching $4 million, Japan $10 million and New Zealand $1.7 million. And China, the world’s most populous nation and second largest economy?

It’s handing over $100,000.

China’s relations with the Philippines have frayed over the past year, as tensions rise over bits of rocks in the South China Sea that both nations have declared their own. While disputes in the resource-rich waterway have simmered for decades and involve other regional neighbors, China has, in recent months, more assertively staked its maritime claims and last year blocked Filipino fishermen from contested waters.

The fracas has led Manila to deepen security relations with both Japan and the U.S., nations that once colonized or occupied the Philippines. Earlier this year, Tokyo committed 10 cutters to upgrade the Philippine coast guard. Although American bases in the Philippines were closed in the early 1990s because of local opposition, talks are under way to renew an American military presence there.

A much weaker Haiyan affected southern China as well, causing much damage and killing eight people. But many users of the Chinese social-media service Weibo were neither moved by the current death toll in the Philippines (it stands at more than 1,800, and officials fear it may eclipse 10,000) nor the complete devastation visited upon many communities. “Our country is also suffering from the same natural disaster, but we still offered help to you [in the Philippines],” wrote one user. “If you do not appreciate our help, give back our money.” Another opined, “Since the Philippine government has the budget to purchase American weapons, they should not want for money.”

Beijing isn’t always so parsimonious with disaster assistance. Two months ago, when an earthquake rocked Pakistan, China promised $4.88 million in relief supplies. Many Chinese feel that more should be done to help the Philippines. The Chinese Red Cross has committed $100,000 of its own in disaster relief for Haiyan, and a Nov. 12 editorial in the Global Times, a Chinese Communist Party–linked daily, said “as a responsible power” China should “participate in relief operations to assist a disaster-stricken neighboring country, no matter whether it’s friendly or not.”

But even if it now rushes aid and supplies to the Philippines’ storm-battered provinces, the Chinese government has been made to look mean-spirited in front of the world community. Beijing isn’t the only one that has tangled with the Philippines over maritime claims. In May, a Taiwanese fisherman was killed by the Philippine Coast Guard in the South China Sea. Yet Taiwan, which China considers a breakaway province, pledged $200,000 in Haiyan aid.

That’s double the amount the Chinese government is sending.

Haiyan: China's Paltry Aid to the Philippines | TIME.com

That is pathetic.
Now I will ask you a question but I doubt you have the courage to answer.
If China orders you to commit espionage against Canada in the name of racial solidarity, would you obey?
The only pathetic person is you. Now you have erased all my doubts about you being a Vietnamese in blood. My question was a rhetoric one and you fell right into it. Thank you.

To answer your question, yes I would truly because I would never betray my mother land even if I was born elsewhere. Does that clear your doubt?

But it doesn't mean I was born in Canada. :p

Last edited:
Good question, Gambit. Now right from the horse's mouth. Now you do understand why China hesitates to attack Taiwan? You've said it, buddy!!!

China is tying humanitarian aid to politics. The fact that thousands have lost their lives and thousands more are suffering is secondary to territorial dispute shows where their priority is. The NBA Champion Miami Heat alone has donated more money!

Companies Unite in Aiding Typhoon Victims

by Tanya Irwin

PepsiCo, United Airlines, Carnival and Walt Disney Co. are just a few of the dozens of companies who are collectively donating millions of dollars to provide aid to those affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

The PepsiCo Foundation is donating $1 million to support disaster relief and recovery efforts. The company is partnering with four relief agency partners to deliver this aid: American Red Cross International Response Fund, Give2Asia, Habitat for Humanity International and Save the Children.

"Over the last few days, we have seen heartbreaking scenes from the Philippines caused by this historic typhoon. Our thoughts and prayers are with the millions of people affected by this devastating storm," said Indra Nooyi, chairman and CEO of PepsiCo, in a release. "As a committed member of the Filipino community, PepsiCo is bringing its resources and its partners together to help in this time of incredible need. We will be there for the Filipino people as they respond to and recover from this natural disaster."

United Airlines is partnering with AmeriCares, American Red Cross and Operation USA in their efforts to provide aid to those affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. The United Airlines Foundation will donate up to $50,000 to match donations to partner organizations from United customers and employees. The airline will also provide a one-time mileage bonus to MileagePlus members who donate. United will contribute up to 5 million miles for this initiative.

MileagePlus members who give between $50-99 will receive 250 bonus miles, those who contribute $100-249 will receive 500 bonus miles, and members who donate more than $250 will receive 1,000 miles. To make a donation, customers and employees may visit the company's fundraising page atwww.crowdrise.com/unitedrelief.

Carnival Corp. and the Miami HEAT will team up with the two-time defending NBA Champion Miami HEAT in making a pledge to donate at least $1 million to support relief efforts in communities affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Miami HEAT owner Micky Arison is also the chairman of Carnival Corp. & plc.

The National Basketball Association (NBA) and National Basketball Player's Association (NBPA) teamed up to donate $250,000 to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF in support of UNICEF's emergency relief efforts.

The NBA Family is also assisting UNICEF in raising awareness of the urgent support needed for children and families in the Philippines. Miami HEAT Coach Erik Spoelstra, who is from the Philippines, will appear in a U.S. Fund for UNICEF Public Service Announcement to help raise funds for relief efforts.

The Walt Disney Company is donating $500,000 to Save the Children and The American Red Cross to support humanitarian aid and rebuilding efforts related to the recent tragedy in the Philippines. In addition, eligible donations from employees to organizations involved in disaster relief will be matched, dollar for dollar up to set limits, by Disney Employee Matching Gifts: A Program of The Walt Disney Company Foundation.

The CVS Caremark Charitable Trust is donating $50,000 to the American Red Cross in support of relief efforts, with a potential total donation of up to $100,000 through the matching of CVS Caremark employee donations.

E. & J. Gallo Winery is donating $100,000 to the Philippine Typhoon Relief Fund to assist rescue and relief teams.

AT&T is donating $25,000 to AmeriCares. In addition, the company is implementing international calling and texting relief efforts for U.S. residential wireless and wireline customers trying to connect with loved ones in the Philippines.

Through Nov.30, AT&T wireless postpaid customers will not be charged for international long distance usage for calls placed from an AT&T wireless number in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands to the Philippines, as well as text messages to the Philippines, originated from an AT&T wireless number in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.

Non-U.S. companies are also supporting the humanitarian relief efforts.

Waterloo, Ontario-based Manulife Financial, The Toronto-Dominion Bank and Toronto-based CIBC are each donating $100,000 to the Canadian Red Cross. Toronto-based Rogers Communications Inc. is donating $50,000 to the Canadian Red Cross.

MediaPost Publications Companies Unite in Aiding Typhoon Victims 11/13/2013

The only pathetic person is you. Now you have erased all my doubts about you being a Vietnamese in blood. My question was a rhetoric one and you fell right into it. Thank you.

To answer your question, yes I would truly because I would never betray my mother land even if I was born elsewhere. Does that clear your doubt?

But it doesn't mean I was born in Canada. :p
Good, that mean you advocate, even tacitly, that all Chinese regardless of blood, should embrace the one major value that is most odious and have caused untold pain for humanity -- racism. All Chinese who are citizens of other countries, even if they were borned in those countries, should stand ready to commit treason at a moment's notice from China in the name of racial solidarity. Mao was wise enough in this regard.

You did not clear my doubt but only confirm it for the world to see. You live in a country among people that sees themselves as 'superior' to Americans regarding tolerance -- Canada -- and yet you stands ready to betray all that they stands for, just on a whim from Mother China.

Hypocrites like you should STFU from now on about the US regarding racial matters. We, meaning the world, should see more hypocrites like you from anywhere in the world. You are no better than the Japanese of WW II. Congratulations on removing any doubts from any readers on how Asia and the rest of the world should see China -- a nation of hardcore racists.

Americans seems to be doing a better job at helping the people in the Philippines then helping their own people in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
You do not know what you are talking about. If you look at how the US responded in the Philippines, we showed what we are good at -- transportation and logistics. Same as for Katrina. With Katrina, the federal government warned the state government days before the hurricane as to the potential damages but the state government both ignored the warnings and were overconfident on the response capabilities at the state level. With the current disaster in the Philippines, look hard enough and we will find similar if not identical logistical and administrative problems with Katrina.

You think that a handful of people posting on a internet forum represent the views of a entire nation or the government ?
You got no problems making generalizations yourself, like the above. What are you complaining about?

As usual the Western media is spinning this story to put China in a bad light. Nowhere is there mention of the fact that China is also providing a lot of material aid to the Philippines and more could come in the coming days also that president Xi Jinping has called his Philippine colleague to offer his condolences over the disaster. You just can't trust anything the Western media says about China.

China provides relief goods to typhoon-hit Philippines - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom