What's new

China's Ghost Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man ........why can;t certain people stop digging some really OLD news. I mean come on if your country is hardly that perfect do you expect the other side will simply sit still and get humiliated??? Just be glad the other side didn;t start something like " cow piss soft drinks anyone ??? " seriously.......grow up. If you want to post negative news........at least have the decency to post something fresh.

that doesnt look authentic anyways may be the foreign jurnos paid money to the parents to get the pic,a kid as young as him can barely lift the spade
Don't bother buddy.... kids are just playing although it is a bit unsafe for them to be near construction zones ... poor labourers cannot leave their kids alone at home, so they bring the children to work. We all know how it works in India.

Don't bother buddy.... kids are just playing although it is a bit unsafe for them to be near construction zones ... poor labourers cannot leave their kids alone at home, so they bring the children to work. We all know how it works in India.

And you think we don't know how things work in China?

oh man ........why can;t certain people stop digging some really OLD news. I mean come on if your country is hardly that perfect do you expect the other side will simply sit still and get humiliated??? Just be glad the other side didn;t start something like " cow piss soft drinks anyone ??? " seriously.......grow up. If you want to post negative news........at least have the decency to post something fresh.

Then someone would unfortunately start this since live goat fetus, caterpillar fungus, dogs, cats, insects etc is more exciting than cow piss soft drink!

WEIRD FOODS IN CHINA---SNAKES, DOGS, RATS AND INSECTS - China | Facts and Details

Though I have eaten a snake after catching it. OK to taste.

Can't say about China, but in Singapore, building construction was very well organised. No children anywhere loitering around.

In India, the labour shanties are just next to the constructions and so the children run wild. And anyway, the contractors are very lax. Improvements have happened, but it is a long way to go, if one is to compare with Singapore.

In fact, one has much to learn from a city like Singapore.

I believe in Singapore, no house can be more than 15 years old. Therefore, construction seems to be a continuous process and the noise level quite distracting.

I could excuse Singapore for over spending on infrastructure, they have a very high per capita income. Plus they don't have too much space to grow, so it is but obvious that within a short time people will start using it. But for China, I don't think thats the case... money is better spent on a number of other programs.

Has the CPC released any official statements about these so called "ghost towns"?

Well we will have to agree to disagree lol there are valid points in every debate but ultimately we will never know until the CPC sheds more light. I would like to pay the cities a visit though. As official statement goes not that I know of.

fyi (I wasn't aware of this either) apparently cash rich buyers of new property prefer to keep the apartment empty after purchase as once the apartment is rented out its considered used and no longer new, might be why all those apartments are empty. I got to know of this in a Paul Merton documentary.

I could excuse Singapore for over spending on infrastructure, they have a very high per capita income. Plus they don't have too much space to grow, so it is but obvious that within a short time people will start using it. But for China, I don't think thats the case... money is better spent on a number of other programs.

Has the CPC released any official statements about these so called "ghost towns"?

Per capita matters for sh*t in infrastructure construction. a high speed train carries 1 person just as well as it does 1000. total is what matters. This isn't the government's money anyways, it's all private construction companies.

Now what's actually a waste is the tax breaks to foreign enterprises. They'll invest here for the market even if the CEO has to cut off his own leg, why do we need to give them special tax breaks?

do indians watch TV?

those kids are working on Nehru stadium for Commonwealth game paid by bread

it was covered by BBC CNN

47494729.jpg

47494730.jpg

47494733.jpg

47494734.jpg

47494735.jpg

Slaving for the Commonwealth: The child labourers put to work building a new stadium in India | Mail Online

so like i said: mind your own people

Can't say about China, but in Singapore, building construction was very well organised. No children anywhere loitering around.

In India, the labour shanties are just next to the constructions and so the children run wild. And anyway, the contractors are very lax. Improvements have happened, but it is a long way to go, if one is to compare with Singapore.

In fact, one has much to learn from a city like Singapore.
Yeah agree with you... almost all construction zones have the labor quarters right next to the project and with nowhere to go these children are exposed to dangers in a construction area. I have seen things improve a lot... in fact when I went to see a few of construction projects last year, they were very strict regarding helmets and safety rules. It all depends on the contracting company... the more reputed ones are strict in enforcing the safety norms... the local ones are lax and/or ignorant.

do indians watch TV?

those kids are working on Nehru stadium for Commonwealth game paid by bread

it was covered by BBC CNN

47494729.jpg

47494730.jpg

47494733.jpg

47494734.jpg

47494735.jpg

Slaving for the Commonwealth: The child labourers put to work building a new stadium in India | Mail Online

so like i said: mind your own people

construction workers live near or on the construction sites so its a common site of children playing at the working site,for childrens imitating what their parents do is a form of play so the childrens are playing it is not child labour,dont tell me you never tried to imitate how your parents work

Well we will have to agree to disagree lol there are valid points in every debate but ultimately we will never know until the CPC sheds more light. I would like to pay the cities a visit though. As official statement goes not that I know of.

fyi (I wasn't aware of this either) apparently cash rich buyers of new property prefer to keep the apartment empty after purchase as once the apartment is rented out its considered used and no longer new, might be why all those apartments are empty. I got to know of this in a Paul Merton documentary.

Yeah... I guess the governments sometimes work in mysterious ways :) ... I could also give several examples in my country where big projects had to be scrapped midway after someone in the govt got questioned on their decision and both parties went to the court.

Well I hope a property bust does not happen in China especially since it will have a widespread repercussion around the world. It is a significant economy today and the effects will be felt worldwide.

construction workers live near or on the construction sites so its a common site of children playing at the working site,for childrens imitating what their parents do is a form of play so the childrens are playing it is not child labour,dont tell me you never tried to imitate what your parents work

and you call us in denial.

I think child labour is an Asian problem, except maybe Singapore (or at least I did not observe it).

Here is a Hong Kong Report

Child labour remains a widespread and serious problem in China

Ten years after the adoption of the International Labour Organization’s Convention on the Elimination of the Worst Forms of Child Labour on 12 May 1999, there is little evidence that the Chinese government, which ratified the convention in 2002, is making a determined effort to tackle the problem.

The government still does not publish statistics on the extent of child labour in China, and its primary concern seems to be to keep the problem out of sight and out of mind.

Officials usually only take action when the Chinese media exposes particularly egregious abuses, such as the Shanxi slave labour brickyards scandal in May 2007, and the trafficking of children from Liangshan to Dongguan in April 2008. In these cases, officials launched investigations, “rescued” the children concerned and sent them home. Many children never got home however, some were sold to other factory owners, and those that did get home received little care or counseling, and remained vulnerable to traffickers in the future.

The Chinese government has done very little to address the root cause the problem; namely the appalling state of the rural school system in China. As CLB pointed out in its 2007 report on child labour, the government’s commitment to nine years compulsory education for all children has not been fulfilled. In most rural areas, despite numerous central government initiatives to waive school fees and provide subsidies for poor families, parents across rural China still have to pay a wide range of fees to keep their children in schools that can only provide a substandard education. Consequently, many parents feel they have no option but to take their children out of school early and send them out to work.

On World Day against Child Labour, the Chinese government could take a significant step towards fulfilling its commitments by ensuring that sufficient funds get to the schools that need them, so that those schools no longer need to rely on their students’ parents for funding. The most important task is to ensure that primary and middle school teachers in rural areas are paid the wages they are entitled to under the law. Under the 1993 Teachers Law, teachers should be paid at the same rate as civil servants but in reality this hardly ever happens, many only get a third or a quarter of other government employee salaries.

At the end of last year, rural school teachers in Sichuan, Chongqing, Hubei, Hunan, and Shaanxi staged a series of strikes to demand the wages they were entitled to. Some local governments found additional funding, but many others stalled or obfuscated.

The key problem is that local governments are responsible for funding primary and middle schools, but they either do not have sufficient funds or those funds have been siphoned-off by corrupt officials. The central and higher levels of local government need to make a greater financial commitment to funding compulsory education and ensure the money gets to where it is needed.

And because the Party and government have thus far failed to effectively police their own officials, they need to make local education officials publicly accountable for their actions, and make their budgets and appropriations open to public scrutiny.
Child labour remains a widespread and serious problem in China | CLB

12%20CHINA_ChildrenWorkers%20Asianews_it.jpg

13851_China_Child_Labor.png

Another HK report

As China's Economy Grows, So does China's Child Labour Problem
As China's Economy Grows, So does China's Child Labour Problem | CLB

From Shanxi to Dongguan, slave labour is still in business

One year after the Shanxi brickyard slave labour scandal first broke in late May 2007, many reportedly freed slaves have not yet returned home, some of those who have returned home are forced to beg for a living, officials who failed in their duty of care are still on the job, and the slave traffickers and slave factories are still in business.

As the Dongguan factory slave labour story last month showed; very little has changed over the last year, there is still a strong demand for forced labour in China, and a well-established and powerful network capable of delivering it. Despite highly publicized pledges to crackdown on forced labour, the government has done virtually nothing either to help the victims of the Shanxi brickyards or tackle the problem in other parts of the country, leaving vulnerable children and adults all over China potential victims.

The Dongguan scandal received minimal coverage in the official Chinese media and the plight of the more than 1,000 children reportedly abducted or sold into slavery was drowned out by coverage of the Olympic torch procession and the Sichuan earthquake.
http://www.clb.org.hk/en/node/100251

Authorities attempt to play-down Dongguan child labour scandal

The Dongguan municipal government claims to have launched an investigation into the use of child labour in the city after the Southern Metropolitan Daily reported on 28 April that more than a thousand children had been trafficked from the poverty-stricken region of Liangshan in Sichuan to work in factories across the Pearl River Delta.

The deputy mayor of Dongguan, Li Xiaomei, told a press conference that the government had investigated more than 3,600 companies, employing 450,000 people, in two days. “In the factories we inspected, we did not come across any large-scale use of child labour... There might be some child labour from Liangshan, but at present we just don’t have the evidence.”

However, at the same time, Southern Metropolitan Daily quoted local police sources as saying at least 167 children trafficked from Sichuan had been rescued in the two day operation. While another government official said a team of 20 officials from the Liangshan region had arrived in Dongguan to help repatriate the children.
http://www.clb.org.hk/en/node/100247

Here is a Report that has details from China Labour Board

Research Report No.3
Small Hands
A Survey Report on Child Labour in China

http://www.clb.org.hk/en/files/share/File/general/Child_labour_report_1.pdf

Child labour in China is divided into:

Regular workers (zhengshi de gugong).
Casual workers (waichu banggong)
Household helpers (jiating banggong)
Apprentices (xuetu)
Work-study students (qingong jianxue)
Forced labourers (nugong).

construction workers live near or on the construction sites so its a common site of children playing at the working site,for childrens imitating what their parents do is a form of play so the childrens are playing it is not child labour,dont tell me you never tried to imitate what your parents work

whatever, it's OK to you :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom