What's new

China’s expanding rail network in Tibet nears Sikkim

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BEIJING: China has extended its rail network in Tibet up to Xigaze, close to the Indian border in Sikkim, a step that would provide its military a strategic capability to easily move troops and weapons in the remote Himalayan region.

The Qinghai-Tibet Railway, the world's highest railway, will reach the residence of the Panchen Lama at Xigaze in Tibet, state-run Xinhua news agency said, emphasizing on its political significance.

The headquarters of China-backed 11th Panchen Lama Gyaincain Norbu is based at Xigaze, also known as Shigatse, located close to the Sikkim border.

The 24-year-old Lama stays in Beijing as he holds a top position in China Buddhist Association.

The seat of Panchan Lama was regarded the second most revered in Tibet after the Dalai Lama. China gives a high-profile projection to Panchan Lama among the Tibetans.

The young Lama was nominated to national advisory body, the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference.

The Lhasa-Xigaze Railway which has an overall length of 253km will be ready by October this year, Xinhua said.

The trains will run at a maximum speed of 120 km per hour, representing a run time of about two hours from the regional capital Lhasa to the region's second city.

All subgrade earthworks, bridges, culverts, tunnels and over 93% of the track have been completed.

Currently it takes five hours by road to reach Shigatse from Lhasa.

Both cities are sacred for Tibetan Buddhists with important religious centers such as the Potala Palace, Tashihunpo Monastery and Jokhang Monastery.

"Besides saving time, the railway will be much safer. The current road is frequently troubled by seasonal natural disasters," said a construction foreman in the railway.

Local residents and tourists will have a smooth trip by rail, unimpeded by landslides in summer and ice in the winter, the worker told Xinhua.

The plateau railway is a particularly problematic construction with difficulties including an oxygen-poor environment, a delicate ecosystem, wildlife migrations and many complex environmental issues.

The 1,956 km long Qinghai-Tibet Railway began service in July 2006 and has positively impacted on Tibet's tourism, hospitality and manufacturing sectors.

China has built extensive network of transport infrastructure in Tibet raising concern in India as it provided strategic advantage to Beijing to move its troops to the borders fast.

Besides well laid highways and rail networks, China built five airports in the Himalayan region so far. The development prompted India to initiate road development along the over 4000km disputed border area.
China’s expanding rail network in Tibet nears Sikkim - The Times of India

Good step for develop the public transportation facility. Actually the living condition in xizang is good though some transportation issues do matter. It will be better then.

India media piece of shitt. I do not know the is the reason for highlighting "close to Sikkim". Shigatse is Tibet 2nd largest city and infra-structure will be developed there.

One rail networks turn Indian population into the alarmist, the Chinese are coming, next move from China, Indians no longer have the capacity to hold on to South Tibet. Read the comments section from the Indians they are hillarious.

China is building two other railways that connect Tibet to Sichuan and Yunnan Provinces, respectively.

Strange that India is more concerned with the Lhasa-Xigaze branch line than the two trunk lines (Chengdu-Yaan-Litang-Nyingchi-Lhasa and Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila-Nyingchi-Lhasa)that will eventually bring Tibet much closer to the rest of China.

There is a further line in the long-term plan that will link Tibet with the Xinjiang Autonomous Region。Lhasa to Urumqi all the way。:enjoy:

Last edited:
One rail networks turn Indian population into the alarmist, the Chinese are coming, next move from China, Indians no longer have the capacity to hold on to South Tibet. Read the comments section from the Indians they are hillarious.
I was LMAO at their comments section. Thanks for mentioning. LOL....

If wishes were wings, pigs would fly.

China is building two other railways that connect Tibet to Sichuan and Yunnan Provinces, respectively.

Strange that India is more concerned with the Lhasa-Xigaze branch line than the two trunk lines (Chengdu-Yaan-Litang-Nyingchi-Lhasa and Kunming-Dali-Lijiang-Shangrila-Nyingchi-Lhasa)that will eventually bring Tibet much closer to the rest of China.

There is a further line in the long-term plan that will link Tibet with the Xinjiang Autonomous Region。Lhasa to Urumqi all the way。:enjoy:

Personally, I think that is close to impossible in my life time. I have traveled Xinjiang Tibet route, Sichuan Tibet route, Yunnan Tibet road, Qinghai Tibet route.

Also I traverse Kunjerab pass, Karakorum highway, Southern Xinjiang...etc

I believe I understand China more than most PRC.

Personally, I think that is close to impossible in my life time. I have traveled Xinjiang Tibet route, Sichuan Tibet route, Yunnan Tibet road, Qinghai Tibet route.

Yep, just like a monkey claims that he is a better car driver than a human being.

The Kunming-Lhasa route is composed of 3 sections: Kunming-Shangrila(bordering the TAR),Shangrila-Nyingchi and Nyingchi-Lhasa,with the 1st section scheduled for operation this year and the construction of the 3rd section also starting in 2014(probably September after the completion of all preparatory tasks,including design etc).

With a budget of 4.16 billion yuan,work on the Chengdu-Yaan section of the Chengdu-Lhasa line is already under way。

So unless you are at a very advanced age,you are likely to witness the opennings of both lines in your life time。:D

The move comes soon after China announced plans to lay a new road linking Tibet's capital of Lhasa to Nyingchi, a prefecture in southeast Tibet that borders India.

"It could reduce the driving time from Lhasa to Nyingchi by more than two hours," a senior railway official, Tashi Gyatso, was quoted in the state media as saying.

China’s rail network nears Indian border - The Times of India

Last edited:
The Kunming-Lhasa route is composed of 3 sections: Kunming-Shangrila(bordering the TAR),Shangrila-Nyingchi and Nyingchi-Lhasa,with the 1st section scheduled for operation this year and the construction of the 3rd section also starting in 2014(probably September after the completion of all preparatory tasks,including design etc).

With a budget of 4.16 billion yuan,work on the Chengdu-Yaan section of the Chengdu-Lhasa line is already under way。

So unless you are at a very advanced age,you are likely to witness the opennings of both lines in your life time。:D

That is a good news. If PRC can do it, I salute you guys. Show me the links that indicate the lines are in drawing board.

Tibet railway is GOOD for Chinese, Tibetan, Nepalese and Indian. Everyone ca get benefits from Tibet railway transportation, say Bye to dangerous & expensive road transportation.

Back
Top Bottom