What's new

China's anti-ship missiles and Gorshkov

Status
Not open for further replies.

arya-is-here

BANNED
Reaction score
China's anti-ship missiles may make India's 2012 Gorshkov aircraft carrier unusable in war

02 June 2010 8ak: Indian Navy has expressed delight at the Sevmash Shipyard's progress in refurbishment of Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier towards a delivery in 2012. Unfortunately, being ignored is China's rapid development of its anti-ship (read aircraft carrier) ballistic missile program. In March 2010 Wired reported a US Admiral Robert Willard, the head of U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM) told legislators that China was “developing and testing a conventional anti-ship ballistic missile based on the DF-21/CSS-5 [medium-range ballistic missile] designed specifically to target aircraft carriers.” The report further noted that since its development in 1990s, it is now at a testing stage. Due to the advanced technology in the missile even the U.S. may not have the technology to defend its carriers against such a strike, effectively meaning that aircraft carriers would be sitting ducks.

This view was backed up by US Defence Secretary Robert Gates who in Apr 2010 confirmed that China's heavy investment in anti-ship capabilities will make aircraft carriers obsolete. Adding to the woes is the proliferation in Asian waters of Air-Independent Propulsion submarines as reported by Strategy Page.

Back in India, the optimism in the Navy’s stance is visible after the return of a team led by controller of warship production and acquisitions Vice Admiral N.N. Kumar, which had gone to Russia to inspect the progress of work carried out on the much delayed aircraft carrier in May this year.

“The pace of work has picked up significantly in the last six months. This can be attributed to the additional deployment of manpower in refurbishment of the aircraft carrier,” navy spokesperson Commander Satish told 8ak. Adding further he said, “An apex level committee has also been constituted between India and Russia at the highest levels to monitor the progress of work on the Gorshkov aircraft carrier rechristened INS Vikramaditya.”

A top naval officer told 8ak, “The additional deployment of manpower is due to the urgency of India to induct the aircraft carrier in its fleet, as India has been left without an operational carrier after the grounding of its ageing fleet of Sea Harrier aircrafts, which operated from INS Viraat and the recently inducted MiG-29K by the navy from Russia cannot be used from Viraat platform, hence pushing India into a unique position of having a carrier without operational aircrafts and aircrafts which are not compatible with the carrier we have, even the under production indigenous carrier has been delayed.”

Times of India reports a naval officer saying, “There has been substantial progress since the last examination in September 2009. Around 99% of the structural work and almost 50% of the cabling work has been completed on the carrier. Almost all large equipment, like engines, diesel generators and the like, has been installed.”

Admiral Gorshkov had become a bane in the relationship of India and Russia, as the latter asked an additional US$1.5 billion for refurbishment of the carrier from the original price of US$974 million. The hike in price was due to the Russians underestimating the quantum of work required to refurbish the carrier, which was phased out from the Russian navy after it caught fire. The issue was settled this year after several rounds of tough negotiations, which saw the price being fixed at US$2.3 billion. The upgrade on the carrier will make it sea worthy for another three decades

liang31.jpg

we'll never fight indian navy so what's the worry?

i hope you will tell your govt to this policy

while china is growing in power and we have to think on every field to counter china

china India are two growing power and we have to keep balance in two nations

i hope you will tell your govt to this policy

while china is growing in power and we have to think on every field to counter china

china India are two growing power and we have to keep balance in two nations

well...china will not fight india with ballistic anti-ship missiles anyways, that is only for ruffling the us's feathers not india's. the threat from china is the pace of modernization not a single weapon plus currently an india carrier in chinese waters is dead-meat, same for plan in indian waters thus in terms of naval power things are fairly balanced you cant come to my yard i cant go to yours, though what you should worry about is again the pace that china builds up its navy which may undo this balance in the future but i sure india will respond in time.

Lol, I know Indians have been itching to get revenge for '62, but a war isn't gonna happen between the two nations any time soon. The future Chinese carriers wouldn't be able to operate around India safely either, so the threat is mutual. Why do you think India is spending so much money on the Brahmos? Surely it's not aimed at Pakistan's small fleet of frigates. I think both countries understand this, and the fact that AC's are simply not as effective against nations with strong militaries anymore.

Lol, I know Indians have been itching to get revenge for '62, but a war isn't gonna happen between the two nations any time soon. The future Chinese carriers wouldn't be able to operate around India safely either, so the threat is mutual. Why do you think India is spending so much money on the Brahmos? Surely it's not aimed at Pakistan's small fleet of frigates. I think both countries understand this, and the fact that AC's are simply not as effective against nations with strong militaries anymore.

Its true in present condition that their is no chance of war between two nations. But if we want to take lesson from past so we cant sit without proper weapons . Its just for avoid war between two countries.
Hope war never happen again :smitten:

Lol, I know Indians have been itching to get revenge for '62,
We have already got our revenge....Zizang is still occupied by eveil India...:lol:

but a war isn't gonna happen between the two nations any time soon. The future Chinese carriers wouldn't be able to operate around India safely either, so the threat is mutual. Why do you think India is spending so much money on the Brahmos? Surely it's not aimed at Pakistan's small fleet of frigates. I think both countries understand this, and the fact that AC's are simply not as effective against nations with strong militaries anymore.

True...The Indian AC is aimed at projecting power only in the IOR.not in South China sea.
The logic is simple here.....U dont come into my backyard...I wont come into urs.

well as USA report confirms the the missile for AC

its a worry for Indian AC

what you guys think

I think we should add anti-missile cap. in bhramos....It has speed..and able to hit moving target

I think we should add anti-missile cap. in bhramos....It has speed..and able to hit moving target

well it may be one of the option but we have to think

the reaction time for anti missile is just 30 sec and you have to save your AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom