"China was a part of India" - Indian education textbook

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
'Textbook writing is politicized in India'

Hemali Chhapia, TNN | May 17, 2013, 03.44 AM IST

MUMBAI: In 2004, the social science textbook of Karnataka created a new world order: Pakistan was an island in the Arabian Sea; China was a part of India; Tibet was in the Bay of Bengal; Saarc members like Bhutan, Bangladesh and Nepal were a cluster of island-nations.

In Punjab, the social science textbook describes tribal hero and freedom fighter Birsa Munda as a man with divine powers, a 'representative of God'. In the chapter that deals with the 18th century tribal revolt, the Chhota Nagpur area is shown in Bihar. On modern industries, the book says: In the 20th century, under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, cotton and silk clothes started being made, because of which the Indian textile industry survived.

Hanuman's birthplace was 'rediscovered ' in Anjanadri in Karnataka's Koppal district, says the state's Class V social science textbook.

For over 10 years, Urdu-medium schools in Gujarat were using a science textbook translated from English by the Gujarat board of school textbooks. The book said calcium could cause cancer and people affected by epidemics should be 'banned'.

How do such errors creep into material that children grow up on?

"The quality of our textbooks is dangerous," sums up Sunanda Sanyal, who was a syllabus committee commentator in West Bengal. "The process of making a textbook is absolutely politicized. After we depoliticize education, we can discuss what went wrong with it. And we will have a lot to discuss."

Most often, say experts, shoddy textbooks are the product of: a weak board of studies that designs books; requests from regional parties to include details about local leaders; and the terrifying pace at which content is written.

"Essentially, the entire batch of (Maharashtra's Class X) geography textbook should be pulped and new content designed. Suresh Jog, a PhD guide who has drawn up the syllabus, has made the text very regional, very narrow in its approach," said Vidyadhar Amrute, who has worked with the textbook panel for years. He pointed out the error of the cartographer who in his sketch handed over Arunachal Pradesh to China.

Excerpt: 'Textbook writing is politicized in India' - The Times of India

I wouldn't even say the textbook was "politicized" this goes beyond politicizing this is flat out brainwashing, fabrication, and lying.

Don't take India's school and college education seriously! I don't wanna remember what I read in my school text books because I don't wanna waste my energy recollecting stupid propaganda!

India's school and college education system should be fully privatized. People think privatization will make education costly but they don't understand it will bring about some quality at least!

As for govt run schools, there should not be any exam up to class X for subjects apart from science. No necessity!

India's school and college education system should be fully privatized. People think privatization will make education costly but they don't understand it will bring about some quality at least!

As for govt run schools, there should not be any exam up to class X for subjects apart from science. No necessity!

And who died and made you in charge of Indian education.At least talk some sense.

This explains why majority of the Indian members on this forum are... well, just stupid.

Most Indians have been brainwashed to the extent that they strongly believe that in a conventional war, India would single handedly destroy both Pakistan and China in a few days if not in hours. :what:

Good. Now I can go to Indiatown to have dim sum. Go to the veggie store for some Indian cabbage. Order chicken fried rice and curry beef takeout at the New Bombay cuisine.

It is just wonderful.

thats why i think state boards should be discontinued at least make them use NCERT books same as CBSE n they can print books for only one subject i.e. their local language books.

I remember we never had any history beyond 1947 independence. No war nothing in CBSE....:)

Hahaha..................Whoever writes all those comedy circus must be Class 1 fail. :lol: Our country majorly needs to educate people else it'll be real trouble.
Bdw these kind of things majorly happens in village schools and India needs to focus more on village reforms as they are the ones who needs it most, currently.

I wouldn't even say the textbook was "politicized" this goes beyond politicizing this is flat out brainwashing, fabrication, and lying.

No i haven't yet come across such a text book yet and i am in Karnataka. There is something more to this story its not politicizing it just shows carelessness and irresponsibility of the people who are supposed to do the work.

You missed a vital part of the article which described why such blunders happen:

Vinod Raina, member, Central Advisory Board of Education (Cabe), said it was sheer incompetence at various stages that resulted in howlers in textbooks. "The NCERT's material must be the principal or model syllabi and states must creatively adapt them to bring in local history, food, geography."

There has to be balance between being parochial and bringing in local flavour, say some experts. Most people on the board allege people in the know of things are not research-oriented and often the education minister recommends names of favourites.

"Board of studies members have a moral responsibility towards the textbooks they design. Members who are selected must be top class academicians," said J M Abhayankar, a former project director of Sarva Shikshan Abhiyan in the state.

This explains why majority of the Indian members on this forum are... well, just stupid.

Most Indians have been brainwashed to the extent that they strongly believe that in a conventional war, India would single handedly destroy both Pakistan and China in a few days if not in hours. :what:

Boy where did that came form,you must have terrible dreams in night:lol:.Try some valium.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom