What's new

China trounces U.S. in AI research output and quality

I mean Tesla and Einstein are the premier intellects of their time in their respective countries but they all go to the Us for a reason to further their R&D. In a way nothing changes. Other countries write paper while the US brings it into reality.

OP should see the article as a shame on china.
Simply because US had money and China didn't when the AI technologies just emerged.

Share of global manufacturing value added
value-added-png.911965
Thank you for providing the west with cheap labors to make our stuffs, Now get back in the factory.

Thank you for providing the west with cheap labors to make our stuffs, Now get back in the factory.
With added value, meaning you become no added value now. trend is you are going down to meet India at the bottom of the chart.

Simply because US had money and China didn't when the AI technologies just emerged.
It's not about money ya git. It's about intellectual freedom & sharing academics papers & other such thing. China doesn't even have the culture for competing with the silicon valley.

Heck just look at Jack Ma for example. His crime? Trying to revolutionize the chinese banking system.

With added value, meaning you become no added value now. trend is you are going down to meet India at the bottom of the chart.
You make stuffs using our stuffs it's called supply chains. Learn econ before you start talking about AI.

I lost several brain cells reading this line. You have no clue what you're talking about do you?

Tensorflow didn't success. Tiktok did. Withouth new technologies input, Tensorflow will forever be neglectable.
What do you expect??
The OP uses a data in 2021 and say "China trounce US in all AI research output and quality"

First, AI research does not just start in 2021........If China really do get ahead of 2021, they are most likely still playing catch up, after lacking behind for 20 or so years.

Second, AI patent have no bearing on quality. An example I always use is you have about 5000 Patent on WIFI module, however, you only have 6 or 7 patent on Wifi Method. Does that mean a Wifi module is more advance on Wifi network coding??

I mean Tesla and Einstein are the premier intellects of their time in their respective countries but they all go to the Us for a reason to further their R&D. In a way nothing changes. Other countries write paper while the US brings it into reality.

OP should see the article as a shame on china.
You have to leave room for the best and brightest to come to the US and benefit the US, it won't work if you exclude all them because of national security.

Last edited:
It's not about money ya git. It's about intellectual freedom & sharing academics papers & other such thing. China doesn't even have the culture for competing with the silicon valley.

Heck just look at Jack Ma for example. His crime? Trying to revolutionize the chinese banking system.
It's all about money. Freedom bla are just beautiful illusion. Revolutionary invents only happen in high income countries because there are demands for them first. And there are enough adventure investments for researches second.

Chinese government never prevented Jack Ma developing technologies. Jack Ma wanted to enter financial field to make quick money, which is not allowed

Last edited:
It's all about money. Freedom bla are just beautiful illusion. Revolutionary invents only happen in high income countries because there are demands for them first. And there are enough investments for adventure researches second.

Chinese government never prevented Jack Ma developing technologies. Jack Ma wanted to enter financial field to make quick money, which is not allowed
The fact still stand that the US have no shortages of the world best & brightest coming into their shores while china don't.

Jack Ma was allowed. The IP for Ant group took years to finalize. It's just when he fairly critized the CCP he got axed. And so does Didi the rideshare (taxi) group.

What do you expect??
The OP uses a data in 2021 and say "China trounce US in all AI research output and quality"

First, AI research does not just start in 2021........If China really do get ahead of 2021, they are most likely still playing catch up.

Second, AI patent have no bearing on quality. An example I always use is you have about 5000 Patent on WIFI module, however, you only have 6 or 7 patent on Wifi Method. Does that mean a Wifi module is more advance on Wifi network coding??

You have to leave room for the best and brightest to come to the US and benefit the US, it won't work if you exclude all them because of national security.
This is why china is ultimately screwed. The best thing they can do is playing catch-up. Xi-Jinping pretty much destroyed whatever chance china have to compete with the US by "eviscerating" (actual quote btw) their tech company. To focus on manufacturing chips.

Like even I can tell that's a stupid idea.

Even if your point is right. It is also only temporary. In some cases, China will correct the mistake immediately if it realizes it is wrong.

The zero-covid policy is an example. I used to think the CCP would never admit its mistake and keep it locked for a few more years, the surprise was that they lifted it immediately after the protests.
Correct it how?

The fact still stand that the US have no shortages of the world best & brightest coming into their shores while china don't.

Jack Ma was allowed. The IP for Ant group took years to finalize. It's just when he fairly critized the CCP he got axed. And so does Didi the rideshare (taxi) group.
Still US can not win China in AI even with all talents from other countries. China doesn't accept immigrants. Otherwise millions of people will come to China.

You west media lied. Jack Ma asked government to give more privilege in finance. Chinese government rejected him. Chinese people support their government on this issue. We don't want to become a financial capitalism country like US.

Haha what??
Most AI related research are either Military usage or Dual use, you will need to have Security Clearence

Like this

https://www.artificialintelligencej...elligence-researcher-with-security-clearance/

* Must be US citizen capable of obtaining & maintaining a US government clearance.

You can't get them if you are Chinese Citizen with a H1B.

I have looked up 5 AI researcher job and all 5 needed government clearance.

This is why china is ultimately screwed. The best thing they can do is playing catch-up. Xi-Jinping pretty much destroyed whatever chance china have to compete with the US by "eviscerating" (actual quote btw) their tech company. To focus on manufacturing chips.

Like even I can tell that's a stupid idea.
The problem I see is that for now, Most field of research in China would require to re-invent the wheel, when the west stopped sharing their secret with the Chinese, they are going to need to devote some time to level the playing field first.

That's a side problem for China refusing to let foreigner work in sensitive technology. I mean you will see Russian-American or Chinese-American who works in sensitive field in the US, but you probably won't see American-Chinese or British-Chinese working on Chinese research in large quantity.

Still US can not win China in AI even with all talents from other countries. China doesn't accept immigrants. Otherwise millions of people will come to China.

You west media lied. Jack Ma asked government to give more privilege in finance. Chinese government rejected him. Chinese people support their government on this issue. We don't want to become a financial capitalism country like US.
And you have nothing to show for it. Meanwhile...

You don't just almost announce something without getting government approval first... Point is china is a shitshow for inventor and innovator. There's a reason why even Genshin Impact headquarter is in Singapore and not Beijing. Because even they don't even want to get caught by chinese "regulation"

Back
Top Bottom