What's new

China trounces U.S. in AI research output and quality

The Companies With the Most AI Patents

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

by Katharina Buchholz,
Jan 26, 2023

Chinese enterprises increased patent filings for artificial intelligence products rapidly in the past couple of years. The companies holding the most active AI and machine learning patent families are now tech giant Tencent and search engine provider Baidu, ahead of U.S. firm IBM, South Korea’s Samsung, Chinese insurance provider Ping An and former AI patent leader Microsoft. The latter company has been seeing one of its major AI investments come to fruition recently, as conversational AI bot ChatGPT by Microsoft partner OpenAI has been making waves. Microsoft swiftly announced another round of funding for OpenAI, rumored to be to the tune of $10 billion.

As this chart based on the LexisNexis PatentSight directory shows, Tencent and Baidu became the largest patent owners in machine learning and AI in 2021, each holding more than 9,000 active patent families. A family is a set of patents covering the same technical content. IBM owed more than 7,000 families that same year, while Microsoft held just under 6,000 – rank six. Between 2012 and 2019, it was Microsoft which owned the most AI patents, according to LexisNexis.

Even bigger than the rise in filings by Tencent and Baidu was the AI patent frenzy unleashed by Chinese insurance and banking giant Ping An. The number of patent families it owns grew from fewer than 50 to more than 6,000 just in the past five years. years. Among the AI tools recently developed by the company is software for analyzing facial micro-expressions (i.e. eye blinks, involuntary twitches), which Ping An uses to assess insurance claims its policyholders send in by video.

18211.jpeg

ChatGPT has left China in the dust. Number of AI patents means nothing if you can’t produce groundbreaking capability. ChatGPT is all the craze in AI these days.

ChatGPT has left China in the dust. Number of AI patents means nothing if you can’t produce groundbreaking capability. ChatGPT is all the craze in AI these days.
lol, you must be an AI expert and dictating the AI world

China Beats U.S. in AI Research Output, Quality​

By DSAITrends editors on January 16, 2023

AI%20Race.jpg

China is the undisputed champion in AI research papers, far surpassing the United States in both quantity and quality, according to a new study by Nikkei Asia.

The study saw the Japan-based news publication working with Dutch scientific publisher Elsevier to review academic and conference papers on AI, using some 800 AI-associated keywords to narrow them down.

The study found that Chinese firms such as Tencent, Alibaba, and Huawei are among the top 10 companies producing AI research. Specifically, China produced some 43,000 papers in 2021, roughly twice as many as the U.S.

Overall, the number of AI papers globally jumped from around 25,000 in 2012 to 135,000 in 2021. This mirrors the AI boom that began around 2012 when interest and research picked up.

However, while the U.S. led in the quality of research in 2012, the situation has since reversed. The most-cited papers in 2021 are from China, with the count topping the American tally by around 70%.

The quality of research was assessed by counting how many papers were in the top 10% of citations by other papers.

Moreover, China is poised to continue leading for now, given the multiple sustained initiatives to forge ahead in AI. Indeed, the need to accelerate research, development, and application of cutting-edge technologies, including AI, was stressed in 2023 economic priorities outlined recently at the closely watched Central Economic Work Conference, notes Nikkei Asia.

As we reported last year, a separate report by McKinsey noted that AI could disrupt transportation and other key sectors in China and add significant economic value by 2030. At that time, it was noted that China accounted for nearly one-fifth of global private investment funding in 2021, attracting USD17 billion for AI start-ups.

In that vein, AI is expected to create upwards of USD600 billion in economic value annually. This is equivalent to the 2021 gross domestic product of Shanghai, a city of nearly 28 million.

The U.S. has actively sought to stymie China’s AI ambitions. It has banned the sale of electronic design automation (EDA) software used to design high-performance chips to Chinese firms, allocated billions to fund chip facilities in the U.S., and ordered Nvidia and AMD to stop exporting cutting-edge GPUs to China.

Google Calls In Help From Larry Page and Sergey Brin for A.I. Fight​

View attachment 912234

China has nothing as advanced as OPEN AIs ChatGPT. Even Google was caught off guard.

Papers are just that, papers.
Exactly just paper. Also they also forgot to mention that chinese doesn't have anything like the silicon valley to capitalize on AI research. Their motol oil alcohol actually turned out more profit last years than their version of google or facebook.

In essence nothing change.

Exactly just paper. Also they also forgot to mention that chinese doesn't have anything like the silicon valley to capitalize on AI research. Their motol oil alcohol actually turned out more profit last years than their version of google or facebook.

In essence nothing change.
China is very good at turn patents and research fruits into profitable products, US..? not so much.

most research on AI field are deemed classified, I doubt you can get clearance if you are Chinese on H1B.
Also you have to like renounce your citizenship in order to take part in sensitive research. If I remember,
China is very good at turn patents and research fruits into profitable products, US..? not so much.
Sure thing wumao

Also you have to like renounce your citizenship in order to take part in sensitive research. If I remember,

Sure thing wumao
Depends, I have multiple Citizenship, but because I was born in the US, I can get to Top 3 clearance level, which is Sensitive Compartmentalised Information, above me is Senior Politician level clearance which you can only get if you have sole US citizenship, which most posting will bar you from if you have other citizenship. And at the top, it is what we called "executive privilege" those are reserved for executive branch (ie POTUS, VPOTUS, SOS and Speaker of the house)

Unless the AI project is related to senior governmental level or for your eyes only level, they won't ask you to renounce your other citizenship, but you will have to answer extra question to the FBI and NSA before you were granted anything about Top Secret.

You forgot Tiktok

What about this one? So far no smiliar US version

Everyonne knows AI is the future, the west may be still ahead of China in legacy technology, but China leads the future.

All AI is written in Python (US owned)
All Chinese 'AI Reseearch' are model iterations based on Tensorflow (US owned)

What about this one? So far no smiliar US version
cheap knockoff...

Depends, I have multiple Citizenship, but because I was born in the US, I can get to Top 3 clearance level, which is Sensitive Compartmentalised Information, above me is Senior Politician level clearance which you can only get if you have sole US citizenship, which most posting will bar you from if you have other citizenship. And at the top, it is what we called "executive privilege" those are reserved for executive branch (ie POTUS, VPOTUS, SOS and Speaker of the house)

Unless the AI project is related to senior governmental level or for your eyes only level, they won't ask you to renounce your other citizenship, but you will have to answer extra question to the FBI and NSA before you were granted anything about Top Secret.
perfectly reasonable steps for national security. But for more mundane things the US have a far more open cultures that's gives them the decisive edge in R&D compared to china.

Can't say the same thing here though we still have an *** backward policy of not letting in people with dual citizenship.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom