What's new

China: The New Superpower?

We don't seek to be a superpower (i.e. to have global hegemony). Hell we don't even seek regional hegemony.

This same official statement (that we does not seek global/regional hegemony) has been made so many times over the past 10 years that I have no idea why people are still talking about it as if we're trying to become a superpower.

We're trying to become a developed country, that's it.

Can you confirm if China made any movies about being a superpower?

Realistically though Chinese-Dragon, I think the world is heading in a bi-polar direction, with US and China as the two poles. It could have been more multi-polar, but the EU is simply not cohesive enough to act in one direction, and India is increasingly failing to live up to its "potential". Of course, it could still feel like the US is "primus inters pares", simply because they will always be a more interventionist, "world-police" type power than China will ever be.

Geography does not allow China to be a superpower. It has too small of coast line compare to US and Russia. It has too many border issues.

oh the world police mentality will come with more development. China is still very poor in certain parts of the country and it's per capita is a joke. One day richer people will start passing judgement on the less developed, it's just how people are.

However, the irony is that the authoritarian regime in China is the one that's keeping China peaceful. I know the US hate one party, but does the US know the minute China becomes truly democratic, the countdown timer for world police and wars will begin.

What happens when Sudan is at war and Chinese is in danger? What happens if Europe trys to stay top dog and offend the Chinese people? What happens when America is too close to China and the American threat will go full force on unrestricted news everyday?

One war will lead to a boom to weapons industry and then it will be hard to stop. With democracy, politicians need funding and guess who has it?

So the thing that American hates and bashes is the one thing that is keeping China from becoming a real "threat" to America.

America is collapsing, their economics are falling apart and the country is destroying itself just like Soviet did. Economist say they will fall in 2030 while Americans say before that. So who will be the next superpower?

I would have loved China had it not been for their arrogance, running roughshod over all and sundry and claiming half the world as theirs just because some old Ming dynasty maps say so!

If they want to be seen as a world power, they need to act in a more mature fashion on the world stage.

I would have loved China had it not been for their arrogance, running roughshod over all and sundry and claiming half the world as theirs just because some old Ming dynasty maps say so!

If they want to be seen as a world power, they need to act in a more mature fashion on the world stage.

So what? :lol:

Sorry we can't be like your perfect India.

As for the topic, no China is not a superpower. And we have constantly stated over and over again that we do NOT seek global or regional hegemony in any way shape or form.
Your policy of intimidation says different. Especially toward Vietnam, China continues a policy of containing and meddling. An example in economic: China´s share of all total foreign investments (FDI) in Vietnam is about 0.01 per cent.

Considering the huge number of China´s investment overseas, one can only conclude China does not want to see Vietnam to develop. China knows VN is less developed and poor. I believe CPC is very happy about this. Our country was devasted by wars. China was part of the evil forces that destroyed Vietnam.
We are still a developing country, and will stay that way for a long time yet.
Where do you want to go?

Your policy of intimidation says different. Especially toward Vietnam, China continues a policy of containing and meddling. An example in economic: China´s share of all total foreign investments (FDI) in Vietnam is about 0.01 per cent.

Considering the huge number of China´s investment overseas, one can only conclude China does not want to see Vietnam to develop.

I'm glad you think Chinese businessmen are so patriotic. :lol: They invest in places where they can make money, Vietnam's development means nothing to them either way.

Where do you want to go?

Become a developed country, obviously.

Geography does not allow China to be a superpower. It has too small of coast line compare to US and Russia. It has too many border issues.
As long as China keeps on the current aggressive policy on Vietnam, we are continuing a policy of containing China in the region and on the world. China can count on us.

As long as China keeps on the current aggressive policy on Vietnam, we are continuing a policy of containing China in the region and on the world. China can count on us.

Containing China in the world? :lol: How?

My small city alone has double the GDP of Vietnam, even though we only have 7 million people in this city, compared to 100 million for Vietnam.

I'm glad you think Chinese businessmen are so patriotic. :lol: They invest in places where they can make money, Vietnam's development means nothing to them either way.
CPC controlls overseas investments. It is just obvious, that China does not want to put money into Vietnam.
Become a developed country, obviously.
China had been rich and powerful in the long history. The last century was just a snapshot of time.

China is the next superpower, without a doubt. Its happening as we speak. Its impossible to stop them.

Now coming to India, we need to learn to achieve our full potential, coz if we dont then 1.3 billion Indian would see China do we failed to.

Containing China in the world? :lol: How?
Read history. For 1,000 years Vietnam had been the only country in SE Asia capable to challenge and stop China´s southwards expansion. Vietnam defeated ancient China, Siam, Laos, Khmer and Champa and successfully expanded to the size of Vietnam today.

Do you think we are not capable to do today?
My small city alone has double the GDP of Vietnam, even though we only have 7 million people in this city, compared to 100 million for Vietnam.
Sure, you can trust the VN´s official GDP number and think it is correct. No problem. I am not saying Vietnam is rich, but it is not as poor as one thinks.

I just wonder how poor Vietnamese can affort to make overseas holiday trips? Last year 2012 sees 1.1 million to China, one million to Cambodia, 500,000 to Thailand, 300,000 to Singapore, 200,000 to Malaysia, 110,000 to South Korea. The figure does not take into account those who go to Europe and America.

Or where we get the money to send more than 106,000 Vietnamese to study abroad? or 40,000 Vietnamese patients for medical treatment abroad, including 10,000 to Singapore.

Back
Top Bottom