What's new

China tests DF-41 ICBM with two MIRVs. Pentagon says deployment soon.

Martian2

Reaction score
China's DF-41 ICBM is capable of carrying 10 MIRVs. China recently tested the DF-41 ICBM with two MIRVs on August 6, 2015. The Pentagon says China's DF-41 ICBM could become "operational" by the end of this year (see citation below).

China Tests New Long-Range Missile with Two Guided Warheads | Washington Free Beacon

ol1QqIr.jpg

@Martian2
From some news report i heard DF-41 might be at the parade, what do you think?
I doubt it. China would probably save it for the 2019 or the 2029 parade.

China Inc. is the dominant power. Military-superpower-China is a secondary consideration. China tends to tone down its military might.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess. I don't think we'll see the DF-41 soon, because a detailed look would give away some of its secrets. I don't even think there's a good picture of a DF-31A ICBM. China tends to disclose as little as possible.

My prediction is no DF-41 ICBM at the WWII celebration parade. I think we could see the DF-41 TEL (without seeing the missile) at the 2019 anniversary parade.

What is source for these numbers of MIRVs in Chinese missiles?

1. DF-5B. Richard Fisher. Also, technical drawing from Beijing Institute.
2. DF-31A. Jane's.
3. DF-41. Pentagon.
4. JL-2. Jane's.
5. JL-3. Navalized DF-41 has assumed same number of MIRVs as DF-41.
----------

Three citations for China's five-megaton thermonuclear warhead on DF-5 ICBM

Math: Five-megaton warhead on DF-5 ICBM x 3.3 (multiplier effect for hafnium) = 16.5 megaton EMP warhead

DF-5 - China Nuclear Forces
"www.fas.org/nuke/guide/china/icbm/df-5.htm‎
Jul 28, 2000 - DF-5. The Chinese flight tested a vehicle with ICBM characteristics to a ... reported that the 5-megaton nuclear warheads for the DF-5/CSS-4 ..."

Multimegaton Weapons
"www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/multimeg.html‎
The People's Republic of China has deployed a warhead estimated at 5 megatons on the Dong Feng 5 ICBM (U.S. designation CSS-4). The DF-5 can carry a ..."

http://books.google.com/books?id=1l...BQ#v=onepage&q=DF-5 ICBM five megaton&f=false
"books.google.com/books?isbn=0275985776
Clayton K. S. Chun - 2006 - History
The DF-5, a true ICBM with a five-megaton nuclear yield, can deploy its payload to any target within the continental United States. This weapon can also provide ..."
----------

DF-5 ICBM carries a five-megaton thermonuclear warhead.

DF-5A ICBM has improved throw-weight, improved guidance system, and longer range.

DF-5B ICBM has 8 to 10 MIRVs according to Richard Fisher. MIRVing of the DF-5 was in response to U.S. withdrawal from the ABM treaty and to ensure a credible Chinese counterstrike.

Here's the Richard Fisher citation for the DF-5B 10-MIRVed ICBM.

http://www.strategycenter.net/docLib/20121125_FisherLessisNotEnough112512.pdf (p. 12)

"The 2012 China Report does mention an “enhanced silo-based DF-5,” that could be a reference to the “DF-5B,” which in 2010 an Asian military source told the author was a new MIRV version of the DF-5. This missile may also be capable of lofting 8 to 10 warheads. A large, detailed order of battle for the PLA that was posted on Chinese web pages in early 2012 indicates that there may already be two brigades, or up to 24 deployed DF-5B missiles.[44] While many parts of this document cannot be confirmed, it is at least indicative of the speed at which China could increase its nuclear warhead numbers at a time when the Administration may be considering U.S. warhead reductions to below 1,000."

A different citation from 1996 on China's 10-MIRVed DF-5 ICBM.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA308671

P7zDLgr.jpg

Last edited:
You can prove that a DF-5B has the throw-weight to carry eight half-megaton MIRVs. A half-megaton warhead weighs about 303kg. Eight MIRVs total 2,424kg. The maximum payload on a DF-5A ICBM is 3,200kg. Thus, a DF-5B ICBM should be able to accommodate 8 to 10 half-megaton MIRVs.
----------

Proving DF-5A ICBM has a five megaton warhead through logic

The Chinese DF-3A IRBM has a throw weight of 2,000 kg and a yield of 3.3 megatons. No one disputes this fact.

The Chinese DF-5A ICBM has a throw weight of 3,200 kg and a claimed yield of five megatons. Does it make sense? Let's do the calculation.

On the DF-3A:

2,000 kg / 3.3 megatons = 606 kg (of fissile material and equipment like the trigger) per megaton

Let's calculate the theoretical throw weight requirement for a five megaton warhead.

5 megatons * 606 kg = 3,030 kg (which is below the 3,200 kg throw weight limit for the DF-5A ICBM)

Thus, my calculations have proven that the DF-5A ICBM can easily carry a five megaton thermonuclear warhead.
----------

Citations:

DF-3A - China Nuclear Forces
"www.fas.org/nuke/guide/china/theater/df-3a.htm‎
Apr 15, 2000 - DF-3A / CSS-2 ... As with the R-12, the DF-3 used storable liquid propellants and a cluster of four engines with a ... Throw-weight (kg), 2,000."

Weapons of Mass Destruction: An Encyclopedia of Worldwide Policy, Technology ... - Eric Croddy - Google Books
"books.google.com/books?isbn=1851094903
Eric Croddy
Designed originally to reach U.S. bases in the Philippines, the DF-3 has a range ... longer- range version, the DF-3A) and carries a single 3.3- megaton warhead."

DF-5 - China Nuclear Forces
"www.fas.org/nuke/guide/china/icbm/df-5.htm‎
Jul 28, 2000 - The DF-5A upgrade increased the throw-weight of the system from 3,000 kg to 3,200 kg. As with the DF-4, initially the DF-5 was stored in a ..."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom