What's new

China Takes Aim at U.S. Naval Might

So according to you, Chinese are merely fakers and WSJ is just a propaganda tool..... I guess that only leaves us with only one truly reliable source....TOI..... way to go. :yahoo:

Did i say that

Call him whatever you like, but that's your own country fellow you are replying to. :)

that was my reply to following comment made by you :P
In case you have missed the writing on the wall, the claim is not made by the Chinese but WSJ, Chinese authorities deny deploying any such weapon.
And where the hell does India comes into all this. ??...“Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.”~ Fulton
i think u really need a brain check ..any doctor in here :cheesy:

The PLAN is no match for the USN. I read the article twice and there is no 'meat' in it. Nothing but a rehash/repackage of previous commentaries. Quite disappointing given WSJ's standards.

The PLAN cannot compete with the USN today. However, the trend from the last twenty years is clear. The technological gap is closing fast.

Also, the Chinese military budget is now at roughly $100 billion. The U.S. budget is $600 billion. China continues to increase its military budget by double-digits every year. Due to its $15 trillion debt, the U.S. will reduce its Pentagon budget by $45 to $95 billion per year (see citation below) after the presidential election in 2013. The Chinese and U.S. military budgets are converging.

WAKuR.jpg

China's Type 052C Lanzhou-class AESA-radar destroyer. China needs 10 more years to build more modern Type 052C destroyers. The Sino-American technological gap is shrinking by the year.

----------

My December 30, 2011 post from another forum:

You do not seem to understand that the current U.S. stance towards China has advanced Chinese interest.

The United States invaded and tried to occupy Afghanistan to establish permanent military bases on China's western periphery. Though the attempt failed, U.S. attempts to ratchet up its military to contain China has been to the detriment of the United States.

The U.S. economy has started to crack under the strain of maintaining the world's largest military budget, which is generally quoted as larger than the next ten countries' budgets combined. From a strictly military perspective, China desires the Pentagon to continue spending the U.S. (with debt at 100% of GDP) and Japanese (with debt at over 200% of GDP) economies into the ground.

We have already reached the inflection point after a decade of excessive U.S. military spending. The Pentagon budget cuts, which will be implemented in January 2013 (after the presidential election), will fall in the range of $45 to $95 billion dollars per year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...als-admirals/2011/12/20/gIQAhAU7MP_story.html

"Pentagon trimming ranks of generals, admirals
By Craig Whitlock, Published: December 28, 2011

With the Iraq war over and troops in Afghanistan on their way home, the U.S. military is getting down to brass tacks: culling generals and admirals from its top-heavy ranks.
The changes are projected to save only a modest amount of money, but defense officials said they are symbolically important as the Pentagon adjusts to an era of austerity. The Obama administration proposes to squeeze $450 billion from defense budgets over a decade. An additional $500 billion in cuts will be triggered if Congress cannot agree on a deficit-reduction plan in the next year. (article continues)"

Just remember one thing, Chinese are damn Freaking smart with Mathematics and Computers. Two things that make the ultimate weapons.

Anyone inferring anything from the BS American media about the might of China, is being taken for a ride.

thats why the word 'ami' is used, understand kid?

Sorry Super IQ level Uncle, i could not get it. But wasn't the same thing said by our Naval Chief few months back. and which was declared as acceptance of defeat by Chinese and Pakistani members??;)

Care to explain, what was that uncle??

Just remember one thing, Chinese are damn Freaking smart with Mathematics and Computers. Two things that make the ultimate weapons.

Anyone inferring anything from the BS American media about the might of China, is being taken for a ride.

I think you're right. The key (underpinning China's technological might) is probably the development of Chinese supercomputers. It is safe to assume that every new Chinese weaponry is being designed and tested (e.g aerodynamic modeling, system integration, etc.) on supercomputers first.

I'll think about moving Chinese supercomputers to the top of my list.

----------

I have made my final selection for the tenth criterion to measure the technological capability of a nation. I believe that ASAT technology is a worthy test because it is a fusion of rocketry, advanced sensors, guidance systems, kinetic-kill warhead, and strategic utility. With ASAT, a country can deprive another of its GPS system (if it has one), spy satellites, communications satellites, etc.

If you disagree with any of the selections on this list or if you think another choice is more worthy, please explain your reasoning in detail and I will consider modifying this list. Thank you.

1. Send taikonaut into space and conduct spacewalk. (Ultimate test of aerospace technology)

2. Build indigenous Aegis-class destroyer with advanced phased array radars. (Sophisticated radar technology and integrated battlespace defense)

Type 052C Lanzhou-class destroyer can be seen at 1:16 in the video.

3. Build fifth-generation stealth fighters. (Military technology prowess for air dominance; by controlling the airspace, you control the high ground and can rain bombs down at will)

China's J-20 Stealth Fighter - YouTube

4. Build world's-fastest bullet trains that travel an average of 380 kph. (Amazing mechanical engineering)

5. Build world's-fastest supercomputer. (Unmatched computer technology)

China's Tianhe-1A Becomes World's Fastest Supercomputer - YouTube

6. Launch a record 15 rocket/satellite launches in 2010 without a single failure. (Test of rocket reliability technology)

7. Build nuclear submarines. (Complex compact nuclear reactor technology)

If you have not yet seen this video then it is a MUST-watch! It is a dazzling display of the hardware in China's PLA Air Force. A Chinese nuclear submarine can be seen at 10:39 and a Type 052C destroyer at 10:47 in the video.

8. Build a cryogenic rocket engine. (Rocket engine technology for heavy-lift rocket)

To place the development of cryogenic rocket engines in its proper historical context, I thought you might want to know that NASA developed the world's first cryo engine in 1961 and China flight-tested her first cryo engine in 1984 (i.e. 27 years ago).

Cryogenic rocket engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The first operational cryogenic rocket engine was the 1961 NASA design the RL-10 LOX LH2 rocket engine, which was used in the Saturn 1 rocket employed in the early stages of the Apollo moon landing program."

YF-73 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The YF-73 is China's first successful, cryogenic, gimballed engine, using liquid hydrogen (LH2) fuel and liquid oxygen (LOX) oxidizer. It was developed in the early 1980s and first flight was in 1984."

9. Build commercial satellites that weigh over 5,000 kg or 10,000 pounds with a service lifetime of 15 years. (World-class satellite technology)

dfh401resized.jpg

DFH-4 satellite bus (or platform) designed and built by CGWIC (i.e. China Great Wall Industrial Corporation)

10. Demonstrated ASAT (i.e. anti-satellite multistage missile) to destroy a satellite. (Critical capability to deprive another nation of its eyes and ears in the sky; also eliminates GPS guidance for opposing nation's weapons)

Last edited by a moderator:
The PLAN cannot compete with the USN today. However, the trend from the last twenty years is clear. The technological gap is closing fast.
How big is that gap and how fast is closing speed? Too fast and the Chinese military budget will cripple the Chinese economy, the way the Soviets did.

Give China the generous gap of 20 yrs. How about experience? Your lack of military experience is revealing. In order to have any credible contributing amount of institutional memory to truly advance a military and sustain that incremented level, an enlistment term of at least 6-8 yrs are preferable. Ten yrs is best. This make a 30 yr gap more realistic because all the hardware in the world is not going to make up for inadequately educated and trained personnel.

For the air forces, long term deployment experience is not as easily attained compared to the naval experience. Ships can sustain themselves over long distances better than aircrafts can. So how long will it take the PLAN to have the same level of BOTH air and sea power projection capability compared to the accumulated experience of the USN, USAF, and USA? Remember, practically wherever the USN go, the USA is either not that far behind or prepared to be shipped out. So when it comes to long duration and long distance deployment in diverse locations and operating environments, the USN and USA have very similar experience and capability. You are also looking at decades of institutional memory from retired personnel that can be transferred to the new generations. So how long will it take China to build up and catch up? Thirty years? Forty years?

You can post all the budget figures you want but in the end that is all that you have.

How big is that gap and how fast is closing speed? Too fast and the Chinese military budget will cripple the Chinese economy, the way the Soviets did.

Give China the generous gap of 20 yrs. How about experience? Your lack of military experience is revealing. In order to have any credible contributing amount of institutional memory to truly advance a military and sustain that incremented level, an enlistment term of at least 6-8 yrs are preferable. Ten yrs is best. This make a 30 yr gap more realistic because all the hardware in the world is not going to make up for inadequately educated and trained personnel.

For the air forces, long term deployment experience is not as easily attained compared to the naval experience. Ships can sustain themselves over long distances better than aircrafts can. So how long will it take the PLAN to have the same level of BOTH air and sea power projection capability compared to the accumulated experience of the USN, USAF, and USA? Remember, practically wherever the USN go, the USA is either not that far behind or prepared to be shipped out. So when it comes to long duration and long distance deployment in diverse locations and operating environments, the USN and USA have very similar experience and capability. You are also looking at decades of institutional memory from retired personnel that can be transferred to the new generations. So how long will it take China to build up and catch up? Thirty years? Forty years?

You can post all the budget figures you want but in the end that is all that you have.

Your argument is flawed.........Chinese Economy is very liberal, compared to Soviet Union......Soviets were in show of military might and a competition in which they would, under no circumstances allow any Western firms or corporations to work in Soviet Union.

China does not do that. Censorship and regulation of state companies is something different. But today, every western firm is present in China, from Siemens to Caterpillar of USA. They pay taxes to Chinese government and then there are loads of Chinese firms, like those making products for Dell, Apple etc....

The country that has actually gone bankrupt due to it's enormous military budget, is infact, USA.

LOL. No less than the economist predicts that the Chinese GDP will be more than 2 times that of the US by 2025 and will still be growing more than twice as fast then.

The US is nearly finished as a superpower due to the fact that China will grow to be massively more wealthy than it.

bewMv.jpg

A symbol of power or a sitting duck in Chinese waters? You decide.
[A handout picture from U.S. Navy dated Feb. 21, 2007, shows the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis as it conducts operations in the Persian Gulf. (Credit: Agence France-Presse/Getty Images)]

In case anyone missed it, here's my blitzkrieg assault on a carrier force. The converse is also true. A defender can use the same strategy and tactics on a future Chinese carrier battle group. The strategy is to overwhelm the limited defense capabilities of a carrier group and to give them little time to react.

If I were a Chinese general, I believe I can sink the U.S. Navy if they come within range of my weapons.

I would use a combined attack. All attacks will be coordinated to arrive near-simultaneously at the target. I would designate a salvo of 50 ASBMs (i.e. anti-ship ballistic missiles) per carrier and 10 ASBMs per Aegis destroyer. I would simultaneously send swarms of CJ-10 cruise missiles at the U.S. ships. I would also deploy salvos of Chinese Exocets (i.e. C-802s). On the sea, I would send groups of "Type 022 (Houbei Class) Fast Attack Missile Crafts." Finally, I would send swarms of attack submarines (i.e. Type 093 Shangs, Yuans, Songs, and Kilos) to fire Yu-6 (i.e. Mark 48-class) torpedoes at the U.S. ships.

If the U.S. Navy can survive a sustained, concentrated, and simultaneous bombardment from space (ballistic missiles), air (anti-ship missiles), sea-skimming missiles, and underwater torpedoes then they truly are the best in the world. If not, the U.S. Navy will be at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. If the U.S. wants to bully China, they can expect China to hit the U.S. Navy with everything in the Chinese arsenal. The U.S. has never been tested by a massive combined attack. There is a good chance the U.S. Navy will not survive.

As soon as they are available, China's Tomahawk-class CJ-10 cruise missiles will be supplemented by stealthy HN-2000 cruise missiles. Notably, the HN-2000 has a "supersonic terminal flight phase" to apply even more pressure on the target carrier group.

http://project2049.net/documents/assassin_...ise_missile.pdf

"Global Strike and the Chinese Anti-Ship Cruise Missile: HN-2000

China is currently developing its next-generation cruise missile, the Hong Niao-2000 (HN-2000). This missile will reportedly be equipped with millimeter wave radar, infrared image mapping, laser radar, synthetic-aperture radar (SAR) and the Chinese Beidou satellite guidance system, for accuracies of 1-3 meters. This missile will also incorporate the latest stealth technologies and have a supersonic terminal flight phase, with an expected range of 4,000km.

AGKRt.jpg

Test-firing of C-802 cruise missile on a target ship

----------

One more thing, as soon as China's UAVs (i.e. unmanned aerial vehicles) and/or stealth UAVs with air-to-surface missiles are ready, I would throw them into the mix as well. This will continue the strategy of creating maximum pressure, complexity, and chaos within a small time-window.

China plans to export Advanced UAV, carrying with air-surface missiles*|*China Military Power Mashup

"China plans to export Advanced UAV, carrying with air-surface missiles
Posted on 31 January 2010 by admin

Feb.01 (China Military Power Reporting by Johanthan Weng) — Recently, Xi’an Modern Control Technology Institute was successfully passed a design review of missile and parts used by an unmanned reconnaissance and attack aircraft, by the Project Management Department of AVIC. This event tells a truth that the Xi’an Modern Control Technology Institute have made a major breakthrough in the field of Attacking UAV development.

The institute self-financed and carried out three projects development. Especially, the distinguished performance of UAV in counter-terrorism, targeted killings, maintaining border stability has been dig out. At present, the reconnaissance-attack UAV made by this institute has successfully air-launched missile and hit the target for the first time in China. The unmanned surveillance attack aircraft for PLA will be formally engineering projected. The variant type of similar UAV has been signed exportation agreement for expanding overseas market."

----------

China's C-802 or "Chinese Exocet" anti-ship missile

China has many options in repelling hostile capital ships in her waters. Let's look at some of the more obvious choices.

Option #1: Attack with land-based or ship-fired sea-skimming C-802/"Chinese Exocet."

The following video is a live-fire comparison test of China's C-801 (e.g. a progenitor of the C-802) and France's Exocet:

----------

China's deadly Yu-6 torpedo/reverse-engineered Mark 48 heavyweight torpedo

China's Option #2: Use a conventionally-powered or nuclear attack submarine to fire a keel-breaker Yu-6/Mark 48 heavyweight torpedo.

The power of a single Yu-6/Mark 48 torpedo can be seen in the following video:

"paradisedriver — August 01, 2008 — Training exercise video showing a "kill" in one shot."

yu6a.jpg

Yu-6 heavyweight torpedo

Yu-6 torpedo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Yu-6 torpedo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yu-6 (鱼-6) torpedo is the Chinese equivalent of the Mark 48 torpedo. In addition to wire and active / passive homing guidance, wake homing guidance is also incorporated. Many domestic Chinese sources have claimed that Yu-6 torpedo is in the same class as the Mk 48 Mod. 4 torpedo, but official information of Yu-6 torpedo released by the Chinese government is limited and such claim thus cannot be confirmed by sources outside China."

----------

China's anti-ship ballistic missile (i.e. ASBM) with incoming Mach 10 warhead

Based on 50 years of missile-technology mastery, China has recently developed a third option: the anti-ship ballistic missile (i.e. ASBM) with an incoming Mach 10 warhead.

df21cirbmtel20091s.jpg

China's ASBMs

I don't know whether the following land-based test was conducted with a kinetic or High-Explosive warhead. However, if an aircraft carrier gets hit, it looks like it will be out of commission.

testingbamers.jpg

Simulated ASBM strikes on aircraft carrier deck mock-up on land.

http://defensetech.org/2010/06/30/china-to...fourth-of-july/

"Marvel · 1 week ago
If somebody could clarify, the ASBM would not be a unitary warhead, correct? I remember reading somewhere that it may be a sort of cluster munition designed to puncture the carrier deck with flechettes, rendering it inoperable."

----------

A single hit means catastrophe

I believe the odds favor the attacker. Only one or two missiles need to get past the defender to cause severe damage and create massive confusion/panic. One Yu-6 torpedo (i.e. a clone of the Mark 48 heavyweight torpedo) can split a destroyer in half.

While a massive combined and simultaneous attack is logical and predictable, I am not aware of anyone claiming a 100 percent full-proof U.S. defense system. Also, China has the capability to launch thousands of missiles and torpedoes at targeted capital ships. It is not just a matter of surviving the first wave. The defenders must survive a sustained attack; without fail.

It is my judgment that when a defender faces an attacker with technological-proximity, the odds are heavily in favor of the attacker. I have read the U.S. strategy is to avoid serious risk to its capital ships. As I understand it, the current plan is to outfit American submarines with conventional tomahawk cruise missiles and threaten to launch many of them at China during a war.

The U.S. wants to be the attacker and shift the burden of defense onto China. The U.S. capital ships will be kept safely out of the strike range of Chinese missiles and quiet diesel submarines with Yu-6 torpedoes lurking near China.

----------

HEAT, cluster bombs, EMP, or thermobaric? What is your preference?

Asia Times Online :: China News, China Business News, Taiwan and Hong Kong News and Business.

"The outcome of a simulation published by Orbis, an American journal on international relations and US foreign policy, clearly did its job in making military circles uneasy. After a hit by a Dong Feng 21D, it took the nuclear-powered supercarrier USS George Washington a mere 20 minutes to sink.

The DF-21D, as the missile is commonly called, is a modification of a solid-propellant, single-warhead medium-range ballistic missile that China has been working on since the late 1960s. The newest version, also going under the North Atlantic Treaty Organization reporting name CSS-5 Mod-4, is believed to come with the unique feature that it can target a moving aircraft carrier as far away as 3,000 kilometers from a land-based mobile launcher.

Enabled by this new weapon, China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) hopes to gain the option to control the West Pacific from land, as opposed to engaging with the US Navy in sea battles that China would be unlikely to win. If the DF-21D is really as sophisticated as has been widely speculated, the US would have to risk its neck when coming to South Korea's, Japan's or Taiwan's aid in the event of Chinese military aggression.

It can safely be assumed that a fair portion of Washington's military strategies would be rendered useless it the US were to lose the ability to securely travel anywhere using aircraft carriers from which jet fighters start their devastatingly precise bombing campaigns - as has been seen in the wars against Serbia and Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

Like the DF-21D's earliest predecessor, the German V-2, a long-range World War II ballistic missile that the Nazis called a Wunderwaffe, China's anti-ship ballistic missile remains shrouded in mystery. Military experts from Washington to Taipei have been left guessing its exact capabilities. It is suggested that the missile's high-angle re-entry into the atmosphere, as well as its speed, make it almost impossible to defend against.

What further worries American defense analysts is that the Chinese apparently have the advantage of being able to screw on almost anything that's found in the PLA's warhead arsenals, such as HEAT shells, which are extremely efficient at penetrating steel, as well as cluster bombs, which eject smaller sub-munitions.

The Chinese could even destroy their opponents' electronic control systems - critical to the operation of ground vehicles and aircraft - by producing damaging current and voltage surges with the help of electromagnetic pulse bombs loaded into the DF-21D. Yet another option would be to fit a missile with a thermobaric fuel-air bomb. This warhead produces a blast wave of a very long duration, a feature that is useful in military applications where the attacker aims to increase the number of casualties and cause greater damage to infrastructure.

As a strong indication of how serious the US sees the threat of China's missiles, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates recently lamented that the DF-21D 'has the ability to disrupt [American] freedom of movement and narrow our strategic options'."

[Note: I have compiled my arguments for the new members on the forum to bring everyone up to speed.]

----------

China can change/destabilize the military balance in East Asia through nuclear or non-nuclear means. Here is a follow-up on the non-nuclear aspect of China's ASBM (i.e. anti-ship ballistic missile) affecting U.S. military strategy and planning.

Though Defense Secretary Robert Gates never mentions China by name, he has raised the prospect of moving away from a carrier-centric Navy because of China's development of asymmetric weapons to defeat U.S. carriers.

New Wars
"May 7, 2010 ... Speech by Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates at the Navy .... why the Navy needs to rethink its carrier centric policy in this new era .... this year said the move would put carrier procurement on “a more fiscally sustainable path .... Or the cruises could drain away ships, money and sailors given ..."

Gates To Navy: Anchors Away - IBD - Investors.com

"Gates To Navy: Anchors Away
Posted 06:16 PM ET

chinesefleetreviewchin0.jpg

Four Chinese submarines lead 56 destroyers, frigates, missile boats, subs and planes off the port of Qingdao in April 2009 after tensions flared with the U.S. in the South China Sea. (Photo credit: AFP/Getty Images/Newscom)

Military Advantage: Our defense secretary proposes doing what no other foreign adversary has done: sink the U.S. Navy. We don't need those billion-dollar destroyers, he says. Meanwhile, the Chinese navy rushes to fill the vacuum.

Once Britannia ruled the waves, later to be replaced by America and its Navy. From the Battle of Midway to President Reagan's 600-ship fleet that helped win the Cold War, naval supremacy has been critical to the protection and survival of our nation.

Which is why we find the recent remarks of Defense Secretary Robert Gates to the Navy League at the Sea-Air-Space expo so disturbing. He seems to think naval supremacy is a luxury we can't afford and that, like every other aspect of our military, an already shrunken U.S. Navy needs to downsize.

"As we learned last year, you don't necessarily need a billion-dollar guided missile destroyer to chase down and deal with a bunch of teenage pirates wielding AK-47s and RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades)," Gates quipped.

We are not laughing.

Pubescent pirates aren't the only threat we face. Last month, a Chinese naval task force from the East Sea Fleet — including the imposing Sovremenny-class guided missile destroyers, frigates and submarines — passed through the Miyako Strait near Okinawa, a move that sent shock waves through Japan.

The exercise took place just days after warships from the North Sea Fleet returned from what China's army-navy called "confrontation exercises" in the South China Sea.

"Do we really need 11 carrier strike groups for another 30 years when no other country has more than one?" Gates asked. The answer is yes. Our national interests are global, in every ocean. Some will be in port, and others will be meeting commitments from the Persian Gulf to the Taiwan Strait.

It's well to consider the "new challenges," as Gates put it, in the form of anti-ship missiles in the hands of the Lebanese Shiite militia Hezbollah or the threat posed by Iran's arsenal of missiles, mines and speed boats near the Strait of Hormuz. But new challenges don't make the old ones go away. We must be prepared to meet them all.

"At the end of the day, we have to ask whether this nation can really afford a Navy that relies on $3 billion to $6 billion destroyers, $7 billion submarines and $11 billion carriers," Gates said.

The question is whether we can afford not to. Defense, unlike health care, is a constitutional imperative."

Defense.gov Speech:

U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
Speech

"Naval War College (Newport, RI)
As Delivered by Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates, Newport, RI, Friday, April 17, 2009

Good morning. It’s a real pleasure to be here for my first visit as secretary to the Naval War College. Based on the weather I’m thinking I may move the Pentagon here.
In this respect, it is important to keep some perspective. For example, as much as the U.S. Navy has shrunk since the end of the Cold War, in terms of tonnage, its battle fleet, by one estimate, is still larger than the next 13 navies combined – and 11 of those 13 navies are U.S. allies or partners. In terms of capabilities, the over-match is even greater. No country in the rest of the world has anything close to the reach and firepower to match a carrier strike group. And the United States has and will maintain eleven until at least 2040. I might also note that we have a number of Expeditionary Strike Groups and will in the not-too-distant future will be able to carry the F-35.

Potential adversaries are well-aware of this fact, which is why, despite significant naval modernization programs underway in some countries, no one intends to bankrupt themselves by challenging the U.S. to a shipbuilding competition akin to the Dreadnought arms race prior to World War I. Instead, we’ve seen their investments in weapons geared to neutralize our advantages – to deny the U.S. military freedom of movement and action while potentially threatening our primary means of projecting power: our bases, sea and air assets, and the networks that support them.

This is a particular concern with aircraft carriers and other large, multi-billion dollar blue-water surface combatants – where the loss of even one ship would be a national catastrophe. We know other nations are working on ways to thwart the reach and striking power of the U.S. battle fleet – whether by producing stealthy submarines in quantity or developing anti-ship missiles with increasing range and accuracy. We ignore these developments at our peril.

The Royal Navy’s greatest defeat in World War II – the sinking of the capital ships H.M.S. Repulse and the brand new Prince of Wales by Japanese aircraft just days after Pearl Harbor – was due in part to a command with little appreciation for air power, and in particular the threat posed by a single, air-delivered torpedo."

Last edited by a moderator:
The backbone of PLAN to fight against USN in waters within 500 km from China's shores will be the Type 056 corvette.

It's armed with China's most advanced anti-ship missiles (YJ-83 for now and, in the future, the stealthy ramjet ASM) for anti-ship role.

It's armed with helicopter, subrocs and bow sonar for anti-submarine role.

It's armed with HQ-10 (SeaRAM copy) for self-defense anti-air role.

We'll be able to overwhelm 2 or 3 US carrier battle groups by building hundreds of these Type 056 and attacking together with land-based fighter cover and long-range SAM cover from Type 052C destroyers!

30il0rb.jpg

One thing always disturb me, If it was so easy to drop Ballistaic (or quasi ballistic) missile over moving target, then why the hell USSR or USA never thought of it????

Surprise...

it is not easy, but there is a combination of factors. first is electronics technology has advanced tremendously since 1970's and early 80's. I won't say more, we all know why. The USSR was always slightly behind the mainstream in electronics, and thus even though they had a need to make this missile, the technology to do it just wasn't there until after they collapsed.

second, the US has no reason to develop this weapon. They can destroy any enemy carrier with their own carrier. why would they spend this money on a missile? also, US doctrine dating back to the Cold War was always biased against missiles. They thought in 1950 that their bomber fleet would easily destroy the USSR in a nuclear war, until the Soviets unveiled Sputnik and then the ICBM, which would allow them to strike any point in the US with the push of a button, and that led them to panic and develop ICBMs.

A symbol of power or a sitting duck in Chinese waters? You decide.

If I were a Chinese general, I believe that I can sink the U.S. Navy if they come within range of my weapons.
:lol: You got that right...The ONLY way you -- as this hypothetical general -- will be able to defeat a US aircraft carrier battle group is if the whole fleet is sitting still.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Your argument is flawed.........Chinese Economy is very liberal, compared to Soviet Union......Soviets were in show of military might and a competition in which they would, under no circumstances allow any Western firms or corporations to work in Soviet Union.
LOL. No less than the economist predicts that the Chinese GDP will be more than 2 times that of the US by 2025 and will still be growing more than twice as fast then.

The US is nearly finished as a superpower due to the fact that China will grow to be massively more wealthy than it.
Neither one of you dared to address the experience issue. Can it be that because neither one of you ever done time in uniform to know how valuable experience and institutional memory can be?

:lol: You got that right...The ONLY way you -- as this hypothetical general -- will be able to defeat a US aircraft carrier battle group is if the whole fleet is sitting still.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Neither one of you dared to address the experience issue. Can it be that because neither one of you ever done time in uniform to know how valuable experience and institutional memory can be?

The US got some "experience" in the first Gulf War. It hasn't fought a peer level adversary since Vietnam. That generation is long retired.

Notice how the article says Chinese subs are quieter.

Back
Top Bottom