What's new

China surpassing U.S. with 54.9 petaflop supercomputer

Next year or the year after you'll see the US or Japan regain the crown.

Top supercomputer changes alot.

Grats to China, just don't get too comfortable :)

In the 1950s (I think), Mao Zedong said that China will surpass the United States in 2006 and no later than 2016. How on earth he made such a close prediction which is today between 2019 and 2023, baffles me.

Umm you need to learn you timing. Today between 2019 and 2023. Unless you mind is ahead of this time.

On the last Top500 supercomputers list:

No of supercomputers top 5 in numbers:

China 72
usa 250
jpn 32
uk 24
fra 21

China has 5 in top 50, highest ranking is 8th @ only 4.7 PFlops

Lets see how well we are doing this time overall!

But from 4.7 PFlops to 54.9 PFlops - an increase of 11+ times speed in a space of just about 7 months (despite it has been an on-going project began a lot earlier than 7 mths) is just amazing!

I want to see what Obama will say this time around. He mentioned Sputnik last time when we raced to the top!

WTF, no Middle eastern nations or India?

Those modern day supercomputers are not energy efficient compared to the groundbreaking quantum supercomputer in the future.

The quantum supercomputing technology will be the next revolutionary technology. :coffee:

Nobody said U.S. will not.

The point is that China now is very capable to be the top player and indeed will have more crowns to claim and more such assets to have in the future.

Well, such case is nearly impossible to have ten years ago though. It just shows how fast the country has progressed.

Next year or the year after you'll see the US or Japan regain the crown.

Top supercomputer changes alot.

Grats to China, just don't get too comfortable :)

I think the # of top 500 is also quite important. We do not need just one #1 crown but need a bunch of consistent performing assets there.

If we can have 30% of top 500, that will be great. Well, last time, we only have about 1/2 of such %. I hope we will gain on that as well this year.

China 72
usa 250
jpn 32
uk 24
fra 21

But from 4.7 PFlops to 54.9 PFlops - an increase of 11+ times speed in a space of just about 7 months (despite it has been an on-going project began a lot earlier than 7 mths) is just amazing!

I want to see what Obama will say this time around. He mentioned Sputnik last time when we raced to the top!

No need to be Sputnik again. I think U.S. need get used to such change.

China 72
usa 250
jpn 32
uk 24
fra 21

No need to be Sputnik again. I think U.S. need get used to such change.

Yeah I think the records are set to be broken like the 100-meter race

But being the first means a lot and its fun too.

I think in 2015 US's another supercomputer will get the No.1 again as plan, this type Competition is better for human

There is different between making world class top super computer and making shitty super computer. :lol:

If you can't squeeze in the top 3 ranking. Don't bother to tell others you been making super computer for since 1990s. Cos it will not make a different.

If you can't talk politely don't bother to talk...

On the topic...

Good news, but hearing that its using thousands of Intel chips was a downer. Looking forward to seeing an all China super computer.

But the prpcessors they used are US made not chinese made.
Next doors Taiwan has the world's most advanced chip making facility TSMC-
China has none.

But the prpcessors they used are US made not chinese made.
Next doors Taiwan has the world's most advanced chip making facility TSMC-
China has none.

aint matter as long as they are made by Chinese and mind you dont jump for excitement too much yet we are working on the improvement of our home made cpus and in fact we have all the connectors home-made.

I give a lot of cr@p to the Chinese guys here....but yes, you seem to be our only true competition in anything.

Back
Top Bottom