What's new

China surpassing U.S. with 54.9 petaflop supercomputer

It is slow by today's standard but it is all ours:

Dawning 6000: China launches its first homemade supercomputer
Mar 04, 2011

China has unveiled its first supercomputer made exclusively of Chinese components. The announcement of the Dawning 6000 was made by lead chip architect Weiwu Hu at the International Solid State Circuits Conference last week in San Francisco. It will go online this summer and run Linux.

Clocking in at 300 teraflops, it won’t top any speed lists, but the machine will be one of world's most efficient. The 3,000 8-core Godson 3B chips run at 3.2 gigaflops per watt thanks to a low clock speed of 1 GHz and 64-bit MIPS architecture, which is more common in mobile devices. China already boasts the world's fastest machine -- the Tianhe-1A -- so brute computational power was not the goal here. Where the Tianhe-1A utilizes Intel CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs, the Dawning 6000 features only Chinese made chips.

Read on by clicking on the link if interested ...

This is not the end, there is still another more recent clone. I'll find it and post it here

When we say "Chinese made" we don't mean copies using the same architecture or a similar OS.....we mean something truly new....

But the prpcessors they used are US made not chinese made.
Next doors Taiwan has the world's most advanced chip making facility TSMC-
China has none

28-nm high-k metal gate and poly/SiON will come online in a few months at SMIC’s beijing second fab

img0356branded.jpg

img0358cbranded.jpg

img0359rcabranded.jpg

a few years back india was way ahead of china in supercomputing....

india has everything except capital and infrastructure to get into the race again....

hearty congratulations to china.....

hope to see india get in the race again

I heard the US has install a Quantum computer. Its power is beyond words.

I think the traditional computers are things of the pass for BIG computing.

I remember the first computer I used back in the 70's was a Univac 9200 with 8K memory.

univac9300.jpg

You guys should be thinking bigger :/ The US is likely to get an exaflop supercomputer around the same time frame.

Intel Invokes Phi to Reach Exascale Computing by 2018 | PCWorld

China moves to beat U.S. in exascale computing. It's now on a path to delivering an entirely indigenous supercomputer

November 20, 2012

The US is good at that but we are not behind. The Japanese are working on exascale too. I believe France, Germany and Uk are on the same path

I heard the US has install a Quantum computer. Its power is beyond words.

I think the traditional computers are things of the pass for BIG computing.

I remember the first computer I used back in the 70's was a Univac 9200 with 8K memory.

Correct. Quantum computing is our research project too:

China makes breakthrough on quantum computer
February 07, 2013

Question how is a supercomputer different from normal ones & what are its applications

Supercomputers are used for high performance computing. They use parallel architecture since any single processing unit doesn't give you something more than a dozens gigaflops. The term "flops" are used for the performance measurements. It simply say how many floating point operations that you can handle in a certain timeframe. They are used for handling complex simulations and running complex models or solving complex problems - or at least estimating not every problem is solvable in compter science :) -. Faster supercomputer means faster research in anything. From aerospace research to protein modeling, from pharmaceutical research to material science you need supercomputers.

Back
Top Bottom