What's new

China surpassing U.S. with 54.9 petaflop supercomputer

China moves to beat U.S. in exascale computing. It's now on a path to delivering an entirely indigenous supercomputer

November 20, 2012

The US is good at that but we are not behind. The Japanese are working on exascale too. I believe France, Germany and Uk are on the same path

Correct. Quantum computing is our research project too:

China makes breakthrough on quantum computer
February 07, 2013

Good to know, competition promotes progress for humanity as a whole. :tup:

China Could Supplant U.S. as the Supercomputing Superpower

Two weeks ago, Jack Dongarra flew to Changsha, China for a meeting with researchers at the National University of Defense Technology, home to the country’s top supercomputing program. He expected an update on their plans for a new mega-machine, but they had a little surprise for him: The system was already up and running.

It’s called Tianhe-2, and with more than 3 million processor cores, it’s the world’s most powerful supercomputer. It can perform more than 30 quadrillion calculations per second, easily dwarfing the runner-up, an Oak Ridge National Laboratories machine known as Titan. The Oak Ridge system can do 17.59 quadrillion calculations per second, according to its most recent published benchmarks.

On Monday, the folks who keep track of the world’s biggest supercomputers will release the latest rankings, called the Top500 List, and the smart money is betting Tianhe-2 will be on top.

The United States, long the dominant power in supercomputing, won’t have a comparable system until around 2016, when the U.S. Department of Energy is expected to build a Tihane-2-range supercomputer called Trinity. Tihane-2 probably will beat out all U.S. systems for a few years, which is more than a loss of bragging rights for the U.S. It raises questions about whether the U.S. is investing enough in research and development to keep its supercomputing lead.

“The most important thing about this system is that it not only has a top performance, it also has a substantial investment in technology,” says Dongarra, a computer science professor with the University of Tennessee.

In fact, the Tianhe-2 is remarkably Chinese. It runs a special version of Linux called Kylin, developed by the National University of Defense Technology. It also has its own homegrown networking gear. It’s even using Chinese processors to power the supercomputer’s management tools. In fact, the only American components are the Intel microprocessors used to do the system’s mathematical calculations.

To be sure, those Intel chips are critical components, but Dongarra believes that on future supercomputers, they eventually will be replaced by Chinese chips — though he’s not sure when that will happen. “They’re developing components here that will go into a system that will ultimately be all Chinese,” he says.

It’s a remarkable success story for a country that didn’t have a single system on the 500 top-ranked supercomputers in 2001. It’s also a warning sign that the United States is losing its lead, as Europe, Japan, and China ramp up their supercomputing efforts.

“A decade ago, if it were a race, we had laps on the field,” says Daniel Reed, vice president of research and economic development at the University of Iowa. “Now the delta is a few lengths and closing.”

That matters a lot. Supercomputers are the test bed for many of the computing advances that we now see in everything, from the multicore processors in Apple’s iPhone to the futuristic networking technologies in Google’s data centers.

“Cloud data centers and [high performance computing] system are twins separated at birth,” Reed says. He should know. Four years ago, Microsoft hired him to help figure out how to build next generation systems for its data centers.

It wasn’t supposed to get this close. Five years ago, the U.S. was on track to build a supercomputer on par with the Tihane-2. The plan is still to someday build these “exascale systems” — machines that are 30 times as powerful as Tihane-2 — but by 2010 the recession intervened and funding never materialized, says Horst Simon, Deputy Laboratory Director at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. “At the same time that the Chinese have made this big step forward, the American investment is stagnating,” he says.

To build these so-called exascale systems will take a coordinated effort. Many of the components are under development. Chipmakers such as Nvidia, Intel and AMD are working on new microprocessors that will be power-efficient enough to make these systems work. But the country also needs basic research to develop the networking and software tools that will power these systems.

That isn’t happening fast enough, says Dongarra. “The country’s paralyzed in terms of spending money,” he says. “Right now, we can’t get our act together in terms of the exascale plan.”

China Could Supplant U.S. as the Supercomputing Superpower | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

The # of top 500 we have is down from last time even though we hold the NO. 1 position this time.

BTW, it seems that Cray's Titan structure is more efficient???

I am not too crazy about having less Top500 supercomputers than last report

some of those may have dropped into the next 100 zone where the difference is just a few petaflops

The significance of achievement this time around are:

1, We are capable of being the best - proven twice topping the list
2. We are advancing in using our own chips
3. We still have rooms to excel

let's just be happy for a moment, not over-joyed.

I am not too crazy about having less Top500 supercomputers than last report

some of those may have dropped into the next 100 zone where the difference is just a few petaflops

The significance of achievement this time around are:

1, We are capable of being the best - proven twice topping the list
2. We are advancing in using our own chips
3. We still have rooms to excel

Tianhe -2 will reign supreme for next 2 years until 2015 which Amercan will have a better one or still inferior to us.

Well, let's not forget what chips are we using on those super computers. In addition, there is no need to trash talk about U.S. being not at the No.1 seat.

There are members who are overly joyed as if we have been the super power on this list. Well, we are far from being there.

the joy belongs to the people who produce this machine @ NDTU China. they deserve it

I am just having a free ride

Well, let's not forget what chips are we using on those super computers. In addition, there is no need to trash talk about U.S. being not at the No.1 seat.

There are members who are overly joyed as if we have been the super power on this list. Well, we are far from being there.

The chips are nothing compare to the overall build, power consumption design and cooling system distribution. Those chips can found in any available commercial computer but super computer design is unique and difficult to master.

give us a break dude
the mud slinging has been going on one against the other for the time to come while we are not dismissing the potential of the US' capabilities in the area
dont get too serious over it
it is a 3-horse race at the moment and the Japanese are already gearing up to take back the top spot again from what I've read in the news

The chips are nothing compare to the overall build, power consumption design and cooling system distribution. Those chips can found in any available commercial computer but super computer design is unique and difficult to master.

while I have to say all integral parts inside of the clone are just as important, I do agree with you the external environments like the cooling system etc are paramount for the functioning of the machine

You seem to not understand what I am saying.

What I have said is not totally targeting at you but the general public here.

There are indeed members here who "dismiss US' capabilities and exaggerate our achievement" as if we are already on the top the world for a long time.

Why don't you take time to read those comments from several threads related to this super computer list thing for the past week???

BTW, there are also members who say: "chips are nothing???" Seriously???

There are enough idiots already. I do not think "韬光养晦" is old fashioned either.

give us a break dude
the mud slinging has been going on one against the other for the time to come while we are not dismissing the potential of the US' capabilities in the area
dont get too serious over it
it is a 3-horse race at the moment and the Japanese are already gearing up to take back the top spot again from what I've read in the news

while I have to say all integral parts inside of the clone are just as important, I do agree with you the external environments like the cooling system etc are paramount for the functioning of the machine

Back
Top Bottom