What's new

China Planemaker Gets New Orders in Fight With Airbus, Boeing

C919 Inches Toward Flight-Testing, ARJ21 Toward Upgrade
Comac, striving to fly the C919 by the end of 2015, is also planning an ARJ21 upgrade
Nov 3, 2014Bradley Perrett | Aviation Week & Space Technology

• aw110320143949.jpg

The C919 nose will be fitted with a load-bearing windscreen frame.

With its first C919 flight-test aircraft now in final assembly, Comac plans to roll out the aircraft in less than one year and is trying to prepare it for a first flight in late 2015. Construction of the second flight-test aircraft is following about half a year behind the first.

For the 2014 Air Show China in Zhuhai Nov. 11-16, the C919 will appear again as a mock-up and models; but there is a good chance that one of its prototypes will overfly the 2016 show as China’s first production mainline airliner.

Comac has revised some of the specifications of the aircraft, which provided the launch airframe for the same CFM Leap 1 engine later chosen for the similarly sized AirbusA320neo. An extra row of six seats will be available in the C919’s high-density cabin arrangement, but the designed economic life has been shortened.

Bigger changes are in store for Comac’s earlier aircraft, the much delayed ARJ21 regional jet. The manufacturer now expects the ARJ21 will achieve airworthiness certification this year and adds that it is planning an update of the model.

Avic’s Xian factories are building C919 center fuselages and wing boxes. Credit: Comac Photo

• Comac will not comment on its target for first delivery of the C919, however. In May, it said that would occur in 2018, 10 years after development was launched as a national program to advance the Chinese aeronautics industry.

Final assembly of the aircraft began on Sept. 19. As of mid-October, when Comac supplied photographs to Aviation Week from its new Shanghai factory, the C919 prototype’s forward and the Chengdu-built nose had been lowered into the assembly tool.

Delivery of the C919 fuselage sections from Comac’s structural suppliers, all subsidiaries of Avic, began in May. The last was the mid-aft fuselage, which, like the forward fuselage, was built by Avic’s Hongdu Aviation works at Nanchang. The center fuselage and center wingbox come from Avic’s Xian plant, which is also building the left and right wing.

“Final assembly is proceeding steadily,” says Comac, adding that it is trying to complete joining the structure by year-end, after which it will integrate the on-board systems. The roll-out is due in the third quarter of 2015.

Making a first flight around the end of next year is an ambition but seemingly not a definite expectation; the company says it is “striving” to do that. Considering that the first aircraft may not be rolled out until September, the timing looks tight. Mitsubishi Aircraft, which rolled out its first MRJ regional jet on Oct. 18, is allowing about half a year for ground tests before flying (AW&ST Oct. 27, p. 34).

The latest of several C919 schedule slippages, announced in May, seems to have amounted to only a few months. Just before that change in the plan, the first aircraft was due to be rolled out in June 2015 and fly four months later. When the program was launched in 2008, the first flight was scheduled for this year and first delivery in 2016, allowing eight years for development—which was generous by international standards but realistically so, considering the limited experience of the Chinese managers and engineers.

Comac will use six aircraft for flight testing, one more than originally planned. Parts for several of them are being made, the company says; the second aircraft is due to enter final assembly in the first half of next year.

Well aware that the major modules of early prototypes sometimes do not fit, Comac managers were a little nervous in awaiting delivery of the first C919’s major structural assemblies, program officials say. Asked whether mistakes have appeared in final assembly, Comac does not directly answer but says: “The problems of all fabrication methods have been resolved in the trial production phase” in the manufacturing of sample parts that began in 2009. “All parts being delivered have been passed by the Civil Aviation Administration of China [CAAC] and conform to the design requirements,” the company notes.

“For the manufacturing of C919 structural parts, Comac design and production staff and supplier production staff form technical, manufacturing and production teams. They collectively resolve production problems,” Comac adds.

In the U.S., CFM partners General Electric and Snecma began flight-testing the Leap engine on Oct. 6. The Leap 1A for Airbus and very similar 1C for Comac will be certified next year, says CFM. The C919 benefited from applying Leap 1A improvements to the earlier 1C, but the changes caused some of the delay in the Chinese program, a Comac official says.

A more recent change is an increase in maximum seating to 174 from 168 in an all-economy arrangement. Comac also says the aircraft’s designed economic life has been reduced to 80,000 flight hours from 90,000. Standard two-class seating for the C919 is 158.

The new factory, near Pudong International Airport, is “initially complete,” says Comac, apparently meaning that the plant is ready to begin work but is not fully equipped. By 2020, it will be able to build 150 C919s and 50 ARJ21 regional jets a year, the manufacturer says, declining to discuss its ramp-up plans.

Comac’s plant includes a final assembly hall in which a moving assembly line is “basically” installed. Another factory, though built for upstream work, is handling the final assembly of the first flying prototype, using automatic drilling and riveting equipment, an automatic system for aligning the modules, automatically guided vehicles and an aircraft movement system. “This is an automated assembly line of an advanced international standard,” says the manufacturer.

A composites factory is equipped with China’s largest autoclave, 5.5 meters (18 ft.) long, although Comac has decided not to use composites for large and difficult parts of the aircraft, such as the center wingbox.

Comac says customers have ordered 400 C919s. But the contracts have little binding effect, according to people who have seen some of them. And even if the order book comprised solid contracts, it would still have two shortcomings in the makeup of its customers. One is that they are all Chinese, with the exception of Gecas, which belongs to General Electric, a supplier. The impression, then, is that customers are ordering for national policy.

Then there is the curiously small quantity covered by the central government’s big three airlines—China Southern, Air China and China Eastern—to which the program must be looking as anchor customers. At the 2010 Zhuhai show, those three each ordered just five C919s, while Hainan Airlines, the private, fourth-ranked Chinese carrier, ordered 20.

Comac’s program was based on sales of 2,500 C919s. Even if only 1,000 are built, the big-three carriers will surely have to buy about 200 each. That assumes that the great bulk of C919 sales will be made in China—an increasingly realistic assumption, because the type has no clear path to endorsement of its airworthiness by the FAA or European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), as originally intended.

But the C919 is being developed to international airworthiness standards, says Comac. At first it seemed obvious that the FAA could endorse the type certificate from the CAAC, since the U.S. authority was in the process of monitoring the ARJ21 program to assess its Chinese counterpart’s airworthiness competence. Unfortunately, it still is. The ARJ21 is running eight years late, so the CAAC’s work on the C919 has not been recognized by the FAA. EASA has never been involved.

So where does that leave the C919? “Getting an FAA or EASA certificate is still under discussion,” says Comac. This is not just important for international sales of the C919; Chinese customers also want a Western stamp on the type certificate.

Flight-testing will be conducted mainly from a new base at Dongying Shengli Airport in Shandong. Flight-test pilots and engineers also will be trained at the base, which Comac says will have “a delivery, maintenance and modification capability.” It will handle some ARJ21 flight-testing, as well.

Meanwhile, the ARJ21 is entering volume production. Comac said last month it had signed an order for 10 sets of airframe major assemblies with the Xian branch of Avic Aircraft. Xian builds the wing and fuselage sections for the aircraft.

Comac must now be fairly sure of the latest target, since it would not want to contract for volume production until it knew that the aircraft could be delivered according to the current design.

Under the shadow certification process, the FAA is expected to endorse the ARJ21’s CAAC type certificate, giving the ARJ21 regulatory acceptability in the markets of economically advanced countries. But after so many years of development, during which its technology has aged significantly, the type is unlikely to be a hot seller internationally. For example, its engine is the GE CF34-10, which Embraer is replacing on its next series of E Jets.

For an upgrade of the ARJ21, “we have already begun demonstration work and will fully go ahead after the type certificate has been issued,” Comac says. “This will mainly involve reductions in weight and drag. There will also be improvements in the avionics, flight controls and anti-icing system.”

The aircraft covered by the Avic Aircraft Xian contract will have serial numbers 120-129. Avic Aircraft is the large-airplane subsidiary of state aeronautics group Avic.

From this year, the factory is making many “technical quality improvements” in automatic riveting of fuselage panels, wingbox assembly, fuselage jigs and in detail assembly, says the branch company’s deputy general manager, Xu Chunlin. These and other measures, such as training, have greatly raised production stability and “have made an obvious improvement to product quality and production rate,” Xu is quoted as saying in Avic’s newspaper China Aviation News.

Earlier in the program, Comac was not satisfied with the quality of airframe modules supplied from Xian for flight-test aircraft. Around 2010, a problem was a bad fit between the center and outer wingboxes, says an industry official working on the program.

Comac endorses Xu’s statement that ARJ21 production quality has improved.

The Xian factory has everything ready for the increased rate, says Xu. The delivery dates for the 10 aircraft were not stated, but in the middle of this year Comac was planning to complete two ARJ21s in 2014, five in 2015, eight in 2016, 15 in 2017 and 20 in 2018. “The risk will be in going from eight to 15, especially since the C919 production preparations will be happening at the same time,” says the industry official.

Comac has been contractually obliged to compensate suppliers for the lateness of the program.

A version of this article appears in the November 3/10 issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology.

China's high speed train and space technology have already secured a dominating position in the world market, then very soon will be the aviation technology.

As you wish :tup::cheesy::yahoo::china:

China receives an order of exporting 20 Y-12 to USA

中国哈飞向美国航空公司出口20架运12飞机
军事要闻新华网2014-11-12 07:40

113318385.jpg

资料图:运12F参加珠海航展

新华网珠海11月11日电(记者钱春弦)第十届中国国际航空航天博览会11日开幕,当日中航工业直升机哈飞与美国维信航空公司签署20架运12系列飞机销售合同。这是中国首次向美国大规模出口民用飞机。

据悉,这也是中国国产民机首次出口发达国家。运12轻型多用途飞机是唯一取得美国FAA型号合格证的中国国产民机,这是运12成功打入美国市场的必要条件。

据介绍,运12具有使用简单、机动灵活、可在简易跑道上起飞和着陆、用途广泛等特点。这批订购的运12飞机将用在美国拉斯维加斯到大峡谷地区的旅游观光和短途客货运输。

数据显示,截至目前,运12飞机已交付国内外用户近200架,其中中国国内近70架,国外近130架,是目前交付量最大的中国国产民用飞机。

Yours is the typical Chinese disdain for experience from arrogance, even when said experience is documented and in front of you.

Inefficient routing structures have plenty of peripheral consequences. Crews, for example. Longer routes than comparable to other countries' may require you to have more aircrews to service the same distance, which may require longer crew rest, which increases your labor cost. Longer routes that came from inefficient routing that demand longer flight time increases frame and engine hrs, which increases maintenance, periodic and unscheduled.

Aircraft Replacement Strategy | Sabre Airline Solutions

Inefficient routing structure may -- not must -- demand you to have fleet diversity, meaning more than one type of aircraft, in order to service those routes, which will put additional strain on your training and certification program, not just for pilots but also on maintenance. Then when a particular aircraft needs to be retired, you may not be able to find a replacement for it due to many reasons, such as competitors who bought/leased the aircraft type you need. Or that aircraft is no longer in production.

Southwest Airlines sees benefit in upcoming fleet diversity | Dallas Morning News

Fleet diversity will increase your insurance. Fleet diversity will increase logistic costs, such as spare parts stocking. Fleet diversity may be necessary in some cases, but usually it is discouraged. All or most or many of this came from inefficient routing.

But noooo...You who probably can barely tell the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver know better than all the professionals in the industry.

What pain ? From you ? So far I have credible sources to back up my arguments. What do you have but wishful thinking that the few Chinese airlines can reduce other operating costs to offset higher fuel costs due to the military control of Chinese domestic airspace.

Right now, China's domestic aviation industry is still growing, but if the desire is to grow as cost efficient as possible, then the PLA must be out of the equation.

I hope shortsighted people like you are at the top of the Chinese aviation industry. :enjoy:

You just waste bandwidth and everyone's time here giving nutcase arguments

I have never seen a thief who tries to break into a victim's house all the time complains about the owner of the house wasting too much electricity for installation of anti-theft devices

You are just as ridiculous as these drivels hereunder ::bad:
Pentagon says Chinese Jet Carried Out ‘Aggressive’ and ‘Dangerous’ Intercept of Navy Intelligence Jet | Washington Free Beacon

You just waste bandwidth and everyone's time here giving nutcase arguments
Actually, it have been YOU who have been wasting the forum's bandwidth with your drivel.

What I originally posted was NOT a criticism of Chinese airlines. If China want to enter a worldwide industry, the Chinese airlines will be affected by the same woes as foreign airlines. I did not say Chinese pilots are incompetent or Chinese airlines do not know how to move luggage or their flight attendants are ugly. I only pointed out a major factor that affects all airlines' bottom line -- fuel cost -- by at least 1/3 of their operating budgets, and how that factor is exacerbated by inefficient routing, which exists in varying degrees throughout the world's air corridors. In the case of China, domestic airspace inefficient routing is caused by the PLA. I provided credible sources for my arguments.

Do you know what the word 'exacerbated' mean ? Just in case you do not...

verb
  1. make (a problem, bad situation, or negative feeling) worse.
Fuel cost is a problem, a bad situation, and create negative feelings in everybody, and affects everybody's paychecks, from the low to the high, in every airline. The PLA's inefficient and incompetent management of China's domestic airspace cuts into Chinese airlines' profit/cost ratio. The PLA make the problem worse. And everybody in China's aviation community know it.

What do you have for your rebuttal ? A baseless speculation that Chinese airlines will offset that inefficiency thru internal cost cutting measures. A slice of everybody's paycheck ? Already happening, kid. Make the aircrews fly longer, in distance and in time away from home ? Not a bad idea. Actually...It is a bad idea. Sleepy pilots can results in bad things in the air. But what do you care ? You do not live in China, right ?

You demand that I provide data, which are trade secrets to start, to support my arguments.

Fine...Then do you have any of that same trade secret data to support your wish that Chinese airlines can offset higher fuel costs thru other avenues ?

At least I have credible sources and logical reasoning that points and hints at such cost. What do you have other than hot air ? Can you challenge any of my sources ? Never can, kid.

Clueless but blowhard Chinese like you is why you guys are so entertaining when it comes to technical issues like this one.

It will definitely safer than riding trains in India and our planes will never hit a buffalo :cheesy:

Keel, you make a nonsense comparison. Your argument would be weak.
As I know the air ticket level in India is among the most cheapest one worldwide.

Can you share the air ticket level in China?

tai-sao-gia-ve-may-bay-an-do-re-nhat-the-gioi-2.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, it have been YOU who have been wasting the forum's bandwidth with your drivel.

What I originally posted was NOT a criticism of Chinese airlines. If China want to enter a worldwide industry, the Chinese airlines will be affected by the same woes as foreign airlines. I did not say Chinese pilots are incompetent or Chinese airlines do not know how to move luggage or their flight attendants are ugly. I only pointed out a major factor that affects all airlines' bottom line -- fuel cost -- by at least 1/3 of their operating budgets, and how that factor is exacerbated by inefficient routing, which exists in varying degrees throughout the world's air corridors. In the case of China, domestic airspace inefficient routing is caused by the PLA. I provided credible sources for my arguments.

Do you know what the word 'exacerbated' mean ? Just in case you do not...

verb
  1. make (a problem, bad situation, or negative feeling) worse.
Fuel cost is a problem, a bad situation, and create negative feelings in everybody, and affects everybody's paychecks, from the low to the high, in every airline. The PLA's inefficient and incompetent management of China's domestic airspace cuts into Chinese airlines' profit/cost ratio. The PLA make the problem worse. And everybody in China's aviation community know it.

What do you have for your rebuttal ? A baseless speculation that Chinese airlines will offset that inefficiency thru internal cost cutting measures. A slice of everybody's paycheck ? Already happening, kid. Make the aircrews fly longer, in distance and in time away from home ? Not a bad idea. Actually...It is a bad idea. Sleepy pilots can results in bad things in the air. But what do you care ? You do not live in China, right ?

You demand that I provide data, which are trade secrets to start, to support my arguments.

Fine...Then do you have any of that same trade secret data to support your wish that Chinese airlines can offset higher fuel costs thru other avenues ?

At least I have credible sources and logical reasoning that points and hints at such cost. What do you have other than hot air ? Can you challenge any of my sources ? Never can, kid.

Clueless but blowhard Chinese like you is why you guys are so entertaining when it comes to technical issues like this one.

Read my above link to Washington FB. I have shown you the thief. :cheesy:
You are such a waste. Running posting after posting without understanding the crux the problem
Have you finished hi-school? :angry::dirol:

You are silly super-troll
It is about the making of our commercial airliner which is going to be a lot safer than Indian railway system which is one (if not THE) most unsafe one in the world in terms of accidents
Many airlines listed in your list on cheapest airfare suffering huge losses. Air India and Malaysia Air are examples

Indians can cement no. 1 in this:
Indian plane hits stray buffalo during take-off| Reuters
Another round in their legacy of stupidity -- :omghaha:

You are the idiot who compare travel by air in your country and travel by train in another country, whose airliner more effective than yours.

Malaysia Airline is the most safety airliner as recorded, before some recent accident.
Air Asia even safer, although they are just budget airliner.

The only passenger aircraft of China that I know which really enter the market is MA-60.
Tell me how safe it is, Keel?
Other never been delivered for the 1st time, how we say about its safety?

Last edited:
You are the idiot who compare travel by air in your country and travel by train in another country, whose airliner more effective than yours.

Malaysia Airline is the most safety airliner as recorded, before some recent accident.
Air Asia even safer, although they are just budget airliner.

The only passenger aircraft of China that I know which really enter the market is MA-60.
Tell me how safe it is, Keel?
Other never been delivered for the 1st time, how we say about its safety?

super troll listen up:
you are drawing things out of context
I was comparing traffic accidents as a whole regardless of air sea rail or road
MA-60 is a different make from our coming new commercial jets
They have a different market and market niches and actually MA-60 is improving much faster than your speed of trolling on PDF :dirol:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom