What's new

China No Longer Needs US Parts in its Phones

Of course it is, Linux is US origin and its export falls within the remit of US laws. If Linux is denied to China in the future, China has the source code it can circumvent these restrictions and use the OS freely within China.
However, China will not be able to export any derivatives of such to other countries.

Under the provisions of License Exception TSU, open source and the
corresponding object code may be exported to all destinations except
Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Thus, open source
and the corresponding object code are treated as if subject only to AT
(anti-terrorism) controls. Items subject to AT controls may be exported
to Iraq under the interim final rule (68 Fed. Reg. 38188) amending the
Iraqi Sanctions Regulations.

It is incongruous that publicly available software such as Linux has
more restrictions than proprietary operating system software. Thus, we
respectfully suggest that BIS amend Section 746.3 to permit exports to
Iraq of open source and the corresponding object code.
Open source are those which have contribution from international coders. So, any country cannot unilaterally restrict it. It van be regulated by international bodies only. Also, the codes are still freely available on the internet

China can't make an Operating System for PC and mobile phone.

So I hardly disagree with the article above.

Not to mention China also needs to popularize it to the population and create a sustainable ecosystem.

Even now, the phones use chips made by Taiwan which is also using USA IPR. This means USA can prohibit Taiwan from selling its chips to China by twisting its IPR control.

Not true. Some parts like plastics, speakers, camera etc can be made by local companies but the chipset and memory requires advanced semiconductor which ia with Taiwan, Korea and USA and all of this has USA origin IPR which means that China still needs USA IPR for chipset, though it may be importing from Taiwan. The older generation chipset with China can't have as much speed in processing or as much capacity in memory as latest generation one.

Not just Americans but even anti-American like me also disagrees as this is factually incorrect. China is simply importing from Taiwan but it is still USA technology and IPR.

HUAWEI is Chinese state supported company. Si, it is still China vs USA.

Android is open source. Only the Google features are American. Even then, China has its own OS and Google is banned in China anyways. Only exports will be hit. But that too can be alleviated by developing a new App store using Chinese developers and also attracting the app makers of google play by offering incentives.

China has its own avionics too. Even when some avionics and aeronautical machines are needed, China imports from Russia. GE engines are only used in commercial planes of China. However, China can make its own engine if it needs by modifying its military engine or import from Russia. USA has very limited control over anything other than semiconductors. USA banned all exports of semiconductor fabrication machines long back and hence China developed its own fabrication machines for 28nm.

Nevertheless, as I have said above, China still imports Taiwan chipset which is based on USA IPR and hence USA can still restrict it
Chipset is made locally, the processor is not because of consumer preference for Qualcomm or Mediatek, however Huawei does produce better processors using Arm ISA. Memory is now made locally, used to be Korean or American. The problem is Huawei professor is made using 7nm process and that requires TSMC. Else pretty much the whole phone is localised. The only thing stopping us in this chain is semiconductor equipment and process, 7nm> specifically. The two things China cannot catch up is Semiconductors process and equipment and aero engines. That's all, other things can be reversed and developed.

Last edited:
You really

Chipset is made locally, the processor is not because of consumer preference for Qualcomm or Mediatek, however Huawei does produce better processors using Arm ISA. Memory is now made locally, used to be Korean or American. The problem is Huawei professor is made using 7nm process and that requires TSMC. Else pretty much the whole phone is localised. The only thing stopping us in this chain is semiconductor equipment and process, 7nm> specifically. The two things China cannot catch up is Semiconductors process and equipment and aero engines. That's all, other things can be reversed and developed.

Chinese products are not known for quality. It's just about numbers. Until it lasts.

Don’t be silly

Not worried about China or it’s OS, their captive market is their greatest strength and ironically their greatest weakness.

Well said. Bravo.

We have a saying "every dog has his day".
When that day is over then its history.

Chinese products are not known for quality. It's just about numbers. Until it lasts.

Well said. Bravo.

We have a saying "every dog has his day".
When that day is over then its history.
Not known because we are selling you based on price, if i were to tell you we make some of the best things but you need to pay alot will you believe me?

Not known because we are selling you based on price, if i were to tell you we make some of the best things but you need to pay alot will you believe me?

I believe it when I see it. I can make a thousand claims but how many can I actualize.

Open source are those which have contribution from international coders. So, any country cannot unilaterally restrict it. It van be regulated by international bodies only. Also, the codes are still freely available on the internet

Collateral Damage: Open Source
The trade war also begs a question about the fate of open source as a whole. For example, according to the 2017 Linux Foundation report, Huawei was a Platinum sponsor of the Linux Foundation – contributing $500,000 to the organization – and they were responsible for 1.5% of the code in the Linux kernel. This is more influence than Facebook, more than Texas Instruments, more than Broadcomm.

Because the administrative action so far against Huawei relies only upon export license restrictions, the Linux Foundation has been able to find shelter under a license exemption for open source software. However, should Huawei be designated as a “foreign adversary” under EO13873, it greatly expands the scope of the ban because it prohibits transactions with entities under the direction or influence of foreign adversaries. The executive order also broadly includes any information technology including hardware and software with no exemption for open source. In fact, it explicitly states that “…openness must be balanced by the need to protect our country against critical national security threats”. While the context of “open” in this case refers to an “investment climate”, I worry the text is broad enough to easily extend its reach into open source technologies.

https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=5590

I believe it when I see it. I can make a thousand claims but how many can I actualize.
That's it, your mind is tuned to believe that, so even if I were to create a super good quality product, you wouldn't buy it because its Chinese. Huawei broke this prejudice, they produce some of the best phones. Megvii has the best AI image technology, DJI? ZPMC makes the best port machinery, Hikvision the best cctv cameras, all companies Trump targeted are champions. Now do you get it?

That's it, your mind is tuned to believe that, so even if I were to create a super good quality product, you wouldn't buy it because its Chinese. Huawei broke this prejudice, they produce some of the best phones. Megvii has the best AI image technology, DJI? ZPMC makes the best port machinery, Hikvision the best cctv cameras, all companies Trump targeted are champions. Now do you get it?

https://www.aljazeera.com/programme...ent-plight-china-uighurs-191019133210421.html

Al-Jazeera is a Qatari-owned newspaper.

This video is by a Pakistani. It's in Urdu though.

Sorry, I cnt engage in communication with you anymore. I hope China gets full reward for its mistreatment of Uighurs.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programme...ent-plight-china-uighurs-191019133210421.html

Al-Jazeera is a Qatari-owned newspaper.

This video is by a Pakistani. It's in Urdu though.

Sorry, I cnt engage in communication with you anymore. I hope China gets full reward for its mistreatment of Uighurs.
i have been reading your one liners in this conversation. either your are too young or too immature.
youghurs have been in trouble since 2012. were you sleeping all this time? did you even know they were in trouble? you have now woken up when you have started seeing american sponsored propganda against chinese in the form of yughur oppression. all these videos you see about ughurs is a part of anti-china program by the west.
its not hard to understand at all.

and if you spend more money , china will give you quality product .. i have huawei p20 an i am loving it day in and day out . cant wait for mate book X pro 2020.

apart frm this, it has been a good thread. china isnt known form making aeroplanes but more tech stuff. huawei already have their app store since 2018 but it wasnt promoted and used that much. They should launch hongmeng soon .
people love google for nothing tbh. they need to see that phones can work without google perfectly. and there goes the american dream of ruling the world

Not just in cell phone, but in other ways as well, de-americanization.It is more dangerous to use American things,Once dependent, it will threaten with ban.
Venezuelan F16s:usflag:

Back
Top Bottom