What's new

US Commerce Secretary: Huawei's Chip Advancements are 'Incredibly Disturbing', mulling stricter export controls

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

US Commerce Secretary: Huawei's Chip Advancements are 'Incredibly Disturbing', mulling stricter export controls​

By Anton Shilov
published October 5 2023

Raimondo mulls stricter export controls.

Huawei

(Image credit: Huawei)

U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo has voiced concerns over Huawei's latest advancement in chip manufacturingwhich enabled the company to build a fairly high-performance HiSilicon Kirin 9000S system-on-chip for smartphones. The development underscores the challenge the U.S. faces in monitoring and regulating wafer fab equipment exports, and Raimondo believes more resources and mechanisms are essential for stricter enforcement, reports Bloomberg.

Raimondo's apprehensions stem from reports surrounding Huawei's usage of its Kirin 9000S SoC that was made by SMIC using its 2nd generation 7nm-class fabrication process and supplied to the tech giants in violation of U.S. sanctions. In response, she highlighted the urgent need for enhanced mechanisms and increased resources to reinforce the department's ability to oversee export-controls.
Raimondo has said that different tools and additional enforcement resources are needed.

The Commerce Secretary also alluded to a pending bill that would grant her department more control over tech deals perceived as security threats. Additionally, she acknowledged Senator Maria Cantwell's suggestion for a new structure to address potential tech supply chain risks.

Further emphasizing the department's stringent stance, Raimondo mentioned a precedent-setting $300 million penalty imposed on Seagate for trading with Huawei without the requisite permissions. Such stringent measures, she believes, are a testament to the department's commitment, but she also stressed the necessity for additional resources to bolster these efforts.

Raimondo's statements come in the wake of her diplomatic trip to China in August, aimed at smoothening the strained ties between the two nations. However, the launch of Huawei's Mate 60 Pro smartphone based on the Kirin 9000S SoC during her visit has ignited discussions in the U.S. capital. These debates question efficiency of American initiatives to decelerate China's technological prowess.

While the Commerce Secretary previously stated that she did not found proof of China's capability to produce these advanced chips in large quantities, she is under substantial political scrutiny. Many, particularly Republicans, urge her to act swiftly in imposing tighter regulations. Meanwhile, the tools that SMIC used to make the SoC were not banned and/or has been installed for a while. Meanwhile, the U.S. cannot physically prevent SMIC from supplying chips to Huawei. What it can do is put SMIC into the blacklist and essentially destroy this company.

But the U.S. government is not inclined to do it now. The U.S. administration is endeavoring to improve relations with China, anticipating a potential summit between President Joe Biden and Chinese leader Xi Jinping in November.

This is going to be fun and so satisfying seeing the complete humiliation of the United States in front of the whole world when China conquers the entire semiconductor supply chain over the next few years.

China's on the right track. For me, personally, I would never get a Huawei phone unless it has domestic CMOS. Sony CMOS is shiet. Sony is all about style over substance. Buy any Sony earphones, they all produce these dirty artificial bass, sounds good but detracts from the actual musical content.

only problem is USA will ban android play store any phone using chinese chips like xiaomi or oppo

so at start these companies have to start 2 different manufacturing lines , one of China and one for outside china

China's on the right track. For me, personally, I would never get a Huawei phone unless it has domestic CMOS. Sony CMOS is shiet. Sony is all about style over substance. Buy any Sony earphones, they all produce these dirty artificial bass, sounds good but detracts from the actual musical content.
Huawei's phone uses CMOS developed and made in China. Huawei gave Sony the contract in 2020, but Sony breached the contract unilaterally following the American master's instruction. Several Chinese firms have since developed the CMOS for Huawei and other domestic applications. I guess Sony will lose the Chinese market forever. I'm not sure if Huawei had or would sue Sony for breach of contract.

No, it's not yet frustrating, at least not to the level she can perceive. When China hits back at the US with rare earth trade sanctions, then we're talking: Oh, Gina, you feel pain too? I thought you have too much steroid on your faces that you don't feel anything.

Huawei's phone uses CMOS developed and made in China. Huawei gave Sony the contract in 2020, but Sony breached the contract unilaterally following the American master's instruction. Several Chinese firms have since developed the CMOS for Huawei and other domestic applications. I guess Sony will lose the Chinese market forever. I'm not sure if Huawei had or would sue Sony for breach of contract.

Huawei doesn't need to sue. China has passed a new law recently which can impose penalty, restrict them from doing business in China and even take over all their assets if they are deemed to have worked against national security. This law has not been used yet against any foreign entity, but has created lot of flutter in the west.

I think they won't use it unless situation becomes even worse. But law is there and can be used by China if they want to.

Huawei doesn't need to sue. China has passed a new law recently which can impose penalty, restrict them from doing business in China and even take over all their assets if they are deemed to have worked against national security. This law has not been used yet against any foreign entity, but has created lot of flutter in the west.

I think they won't use it unless situation becomes even worse. But law is there and can be used by China if they want to.
China is a good student of the US, yet China will not go the path of the Americans looking to interfere in others' internal matters and stage color revolutions to create havocs and change governments.

The United States hasn't received the memo yet. This isn't 1940 China.

only problem is USA will ban android play store any phone using chinese chips like xiaomi or oppo

so at start these companies have to start 2 different manufacturing lines , one of China and one for outside china
its more than 3 years that i use a phone without android play store (I'm one of the earliest user of Mate 30 Pro 5g in Iran actually i used it as soon as it become available) and believe me i can manage without any problem
its not 4 years ago, right now there are tons of alternatives you can use

its more than 3 years that i use a phone without android play store (I'm one of the earliest user of Mate 30 Pro 5g in Iran actually i used it as soon as it become available) and believe me i can manage without any problem
its not 4 years ago, right now there are tons of alternatives you can use
people use iphone as its easy to navigate and its usually called for dumb poeple.
without android playstore , MI store is option. however these options are not for all people. specially girls will prefer easier access softwares.

people use iphone as its easy to navigate and its usually called for dumb poeple.
without android playstore , MI store is option. however these options are not for all people. specially girls will prefer easier access softwares.

iphone banned other mobile phone brands from using IOS, but it won't cause all users to use iphone.

the same way, once google banned all chinese mobile phones from using android, it won't cause all users to use Samsung. It will only lead to a new software instead of android.

The United States hasn't received the memo yet. This isn't 1940 China.
It’s insane how misinformed most Americans are even at the highest levels of govt. They really do not realize that China is just getting started. Soon it will have a completely independent and rival semiconductor and tech ecosystem with zero dependence on the US. Then it will likely flood global markets and run the Western ecosystem out of business. On top of that, China can stop shipments of rare earth materials and this will ground Western military and civilian industries to a halt and it will take a decade of strenuous effort in order to re establish a rare earth harvesting, processing and supply line and by then massive economic damage would have been inflicted with China cornering global tech and supply. China is a quiet but resolutely tenacious and unstoppable foe.

These idiots are so ignorant it’s scary. They had China in a much more docile position before, dependent on Western tech and supply chains.

It’s insane how misinformed most Americans are even at the highest levels of govt. They really do not realize that China is just getting started. Soon it will have a completely independent and rival semiconductor and tech ecosystem with zero dependence on the US. Then it will likely flood global markets and run the Western ecosystem out of business. On top of that, China can stop shipments of rare earth materials and this will ground Western military and civilian industries to a halt and it will take a decade of strenuous effort in order to re establish a rare earth harvesting, processing and supply line and by then massive economic damage would have been inflicted with China cornering global tech and supply. China is a quiet but resolutely tenacious and unstoppable foe.

These idiots are so ignorant it’s scary. They had China in a much more docile position before, dependent on Western tech and supply chains.

The Americans are at this moment frightened of the unknown. They have never experienced this before. A completely different landscape with different challenges. They also don't have the Mujahideen or the ISI to do their dirty work with stinger missiles. As you rightly say, China has quietly amassed wealth, tech and a lot of respect among developing countries.

The Americans are at this moment frightened of the unknown. They have never experienced this before. A completely different landscape with different challenges. They also don't have the Mujahideen or the ISI to do their dirty work with stinger missiles. As you rightly say, China has quietly amassed wealth, tech and a lot of respect among developing countries.

The US has never dealt with a rival and foe like China. The shame is, it didn't have to be this way. The US could've easily accommodated China's rise and provided a common understanding between the two countries so both could co-exist and prosper as equal superpowers. However, as the US has decisively become hostile to China, it is now a fight for survival.

China is a massive country with immense resources, skills, knowledge, technology and organization. Most of all, it is a deeply disciplined and strategic country. If it is facing a fight or die situation, just think about a 1.4 billion man country that has the most advanced technology in the world, the greatest industrial infrastructure with the fighting spirit and tenaciousness of Taliban fighters under the control of one party that lays out the national program like marching orders. It's honestly crazy.

The US has no idea what it's dealing with. It should've kept China integrated with the West and kept it docile. But American leaders are deeply ignorant and provincial.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom